Complaint Review: U-Haul

• Submitted: Wed, September 01, 2010
  • Updated: Wed, September 01, 2010

• Reported By: Christina — Brooklyn New York United States of America
6615 New Utrecht Avenue Brooklyn, New York United States of America

U-Haul False charges, Extorted fees, Lies, Dangerous Deception, Unacceptable, Accusations, Unhelpful Brooklyn, New York

I've run into a sticky situation with your U-Haul's of Brooklyn NY.  I think you would be interested to know that there are some poor practices going on in that area.

I scheduled myself to pick up a truck at the New Utrecht location at 10am. (718) 232-1400)  I'm not complaining about the service at this location, although I should.  I counted 25 people in line on a Sunday morning at 10am and we were all there for an hour or more in line.  It just didn't move.  I did get my truck, having arrived early, received it at 10:30am (my pickup time was 10).  No biggie, right?  OK.  My scheduled drop off time was 10pm, same location (Contract number 20453500). [continued below]....
.....  When I arrived at 10pm the location was closed with a big fence locked around the place.  There was no drop box for keys, as my contract indicated there would be.  Perplexed, I called U-Haul Customer Service (1-800-GO-U-Haul) and spoke with two fine ladies, Janice and Christine, who both told me to take it to the nearest location with a drop box.  I didn't like this solution, but I had no other option, I live in the city without a car and its a decent sized headache to get to these U-Haul locations.

So off I go to the closest U-Haul with a drop box, 88 9th Street, Brooklyn, NY? - (718) 788-3370.  This location is so awful it should be immediately stripped of any right to the name of U-Haul.  There is a chained dog which greets the visitors with vicious barking.  There is a non-English speaking employee handling the dropoffs.

He made me move the van 3 times before I gave up and handed him the keys.  He refused the keys so I put them in the dropbox myself, and left.  I walked under a dark bridge to the nearest subway station in Brooklyn, at night thanks to the unclear policies of the New Utrecht U-Haul.  But wait, there's more.

The next day I have my $80 mandatory pre-payment from U-Haul on my card PLUS a $143.78 charge for dropping off the U-Haul truck at the wrong location.  The location which U-Haul told me to drop it off at.  And that's nothing to mention the gas I used and the miles I used (which I will have to get reimbursed for) to get to the new location.  So now you see my $19.99 truck has cost $220.  Not good.

The worst part was being shuffled around general customer service, the regional district, the new utrecht store, and the non english speaking park slope address.  I would particularly like to point out that Merle at 718-522-4924 who is a reservation manager kept me on hold for no less than an hour and a half and a couple of times pretended she hadn't already spoke with me, and rudely told me repeatedly that it was my fault, despite listening to my explanations.

My request is this:  A full refund for the $80.00, plus any additional mileage or gasoline fees New Utrecht U-Haul might add on, plus a refund for the $143.78.  I've had an awful experience and I would appreciate your support at this time.  I have used U-Haul before and had a very positive experience, I hope we can resolve this matter in a manner that benefits both of us.  Thank you for your time.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/01/2010 08:18 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/U-Haul/Brooklyn-New-York-11214/U-Haul-False-charges-Extorted-fees-Lies-Dangerous-Deception-Unacceptable-Accusations-636372. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on U-Haul