Complaint Review: U-Haul

• Reported By: Woowon — Urbana Illinois United States of America
U-Haul
306 East University Urbana, Illinois United States of America

U-Haul They overcharged me for extra milages. Urbana, Illinois

*General Comment: Its a Rental !

On July 22, 2012 around 4pm I rented a small truck to move some furniture to my new home.

The estimated usage was about 15 miles and they gave me $45.3 for the estimated charges. Of course I did not expect it to
be exactly this much. I already knew that the rental fee was $19.95 and an additional 69cents per mile. Did not know about the fuel charge, that it has to be exactly the same when turning in the truck, and they didnt even mention it.

Later I found out that it is written on the contract but they didnt even tell me to take a look at that as well!

I clearly remember that the initial millage was 71125. Do not remember the final millage but know the route that I drove.

To be accurate, I used google map for the distance and it is around 25 miles.

Maybe 10 miles more so maximum 35 miles. Because the estimated miles was 15, I was expecting a little more than $45.3 and today I get charged $101.46.

I called customer service for the bill (This is another problem, why should I make a phone call to see my bill??) and realize the extra charge for the fuel and the usage of 54 miles. On the bill it says the millage is from 71104 to 71158 which is 54 miles.

Like I said, the initial millage was 71125 and 71125 to 71158 is 32 miles which makes perfect sense. 71104 is a faulty number and they are overcharging me for nothing. Now I even cannot believe 71158, maybe they put some more.

I really regret not checking the millage written on the contract and comparing it with the millage on the truck.

However, why do customers need to be suspicious and check the millage at the first place? If U-Haul is charging people
based on millage, they should be accurate on the numbers!

I just found out to be more suspicious when renting a truck or car and probably would never use U-Haul again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/25/2012 11:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/U-Haul/Urbana-Illinois-61801/U-Haul-They-overcharged-me-for-extra-milages-Urbana-Illinois-917278. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on U-Haul

#1 General Comment

Its a Rental !

AUTHOR: Bubba Lee - (Canada)

All rentals you pay for the gas, all. Full stop no arguments.

I bet if you don't make the person on the phone angry you would find out you paid the milage to drive the truck to and from the gas station and maybe a service fee.