Complaint Review: U-Haul

• Submitted: Sun, July 11, 2010
  • Updated: Wed, July 28, 2010

• Reported By: Kim — woonsocket Rhode Island United States of America
U-Haul

U-Haul Did NOt care when their installation failed. And we had to Re-Install Hitch Internet

*UPDATE Employee: Hitch not installed by U-Haul

We are in the process of Moving and went to the U-Haul Website to find a hitch installer.  We found one.  We rented a trailer 5 times since having it installed 3 months ago, only to have it fall off half way home.  U-haul refused to come get the trailer and instead we were threatened that if it was left we would be charged for abandoning it, if they did pick it up we would be charged for that and last of all we would also be charged for not returning it to the original rental place!!!
After that fiasco with roadside assistance and reporting this I got the nicest phone call from "Peter" from U-haul saying how sorry they were wanting to know if there were any hotel stays involved etc.  I was honest and told him other than the towing of the u-haul and the re-installation of the hitch there was only the 60 dollar gas bill my sister had for going to get him around 2 hours away from her house then bringing him to the garage in the morning.
The nice man assured me that she as I thought should not have to absorb that cost either.
Then the next phone call from him was a complete turn around saying it wasn't their problem and that had we gone to a corporate installation place they would cover it but not this place.  He got very irate and loud when I said the website should say this was not an authorized installer.  etc.
However upon calling the installer, he said oh yes he was authorized!
Upon calling Peter back he said "I never said he wasn't, I just didn't tell you he was"

He then closed my case.
I called the u-haul number and they assured me I would not have to deal with Peter in Mass. again, however failed to not put it across his desk/computer again. So I get yet another phone call from peter.  I explain to him I was told I would not have to deal with him again only to have him tell me oh yes you do! I am the only one in this area and you HAVE to deal with me etc.  ending the phone call with telling me "we'll see about that"

I call u-haul the next day fearing he made good on that threat after not hearing from them.  They tell me he had someone else go into the case "on his behalf" make notes and closed it again.

The wonderfully nice woman sent it on to corporate hoping he won't get wind of it and agreed with me that I was not being unreasonable and also thinks this has become personal to him.

Again after not hearing back from U-haul I'm fearing the worst!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/11/2010 03:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/U-Haul/internet/U-Haul-Did-NOt-care-when-their-installation-failed-And-we-had-to-Re-Install-Hitch-Intern-622294. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on U-Haul

Hitch not installed by U-Haul

AUTHOR: Maria p. - (U.S.A.)

My name is Maria Palmisano and I am with U-Haul International. I came across your posting on RipoffReport.com and realized I had addressed your concerns through the Better Business Bureau of Phoenix, AZ. I first want to offer you my personal apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your move. As I relayed to the BBB, the location that installed your hitch is an independent business. He does, however, rent U-Haul trucks and trailers off his lot. His installation of hitches is not part of the U-Haul business, but is within his capacity of a private auto mechanic. I believe the confusion involves that as he may sell and install hitches as part of his own business, he is not employed by U-Haul as an authorized hitch installer. You should direct your concerns to the automotive shop that installed your hitch for resolution. We value customer feedback and realize there is never an excuse for rudeness. I hope you accept my apology and allow U-Haul to serve you again in the future. If I can be of any further service, please don't hesitate to contact me at maria_palmisano@uhaul.com.