Complaint Review: U-Haul

• Submitted: Fri, March 04, 2011
  • Updated: Mon, December 31, 2012

• Reported By: BH — Manhattan Kansas U.S.A.
U-Haul
Nationwide United States of America

U-Haul Would not rent a trailer Internet, Nationwide

*UPDATE Employee: Ford Explorors

*General Comment: To answer Larry:

*General Comment: To answer Larry:

*Consumer Comment: It's nothing new

*Author of original report: Let's look at this another way, shall we?

*Consumer Comment: How much?

*General Comment: Big vehicle, limited use?

*Consumer Comment: A BLACK FORD EXPLORER

*Consumer Suggestion: I agree....Discrimination????

*General Comment: It's not "the only vehicle"

*Consumer Comment: Discrimination?

*Consumer Suggestion: This is a longstanding policy.

U-Haul sucks!

U-Haul will not rent me a trailer because I own a Ford Explorer.  According to their company policy, the Ford Explorer is the only vehicle U-Haul will NOT rent trailers for, due to some undisclosed liability reason(s).

What is this?  Isn't that why we carry auto insurance? This appears to me to be discrimination.  If I owned a chevy, chrysler, or hyundai, I guess things would be different.

U-Haul is a RIP OFF!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/04/2011 08:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/U-Haul/nationwide/U-Haul-Would-not-rent-a-trailer-Internet-Nationwide-702863. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on U-Haul

Ford Explorors

AUTHOR: Matt at Uhual - (United States of America)

U-Haul will not rent to Ford Explorors due to aerodynamics. The flow of air over the vehicle causes a updraft on the trailer. Due to liability we cannot rent to them.

#2 General Comment

To answer Larry:

AUTHOR: Adolph - (USA)

I rented and returned the trailer from a dedicated U Haul business. The outfit in Kentucky was absolutely no help in any of the hook-up, main  problem being the tow vehicle had separate stop and turn signals. (The trailer lights were NOT separate) I was obliged to work this out myself, hook up the trailer TOTALLY  unassisted.  The trailer I rented had about 100 small faded stickers indicating “damage paid for this area”. Some of the stickers were on minor scratches on the decals. It was a VERY old trailer, it appeared U Haul had completely paid for the trailer with previous damage claims. It was apparent some rental patrons had paid for really insignificant minor scratches years ago.
This concerned me, particularly after I severely damaged the rt. fender hitting a post on a motel parking lot. Pried fender off tire to continue trip. I thought: "WOW!...this’s going to be expensive”.
Fast forward to drop-off in Indiana at another dedicated U Haul depot. I pulled in (trailer empty), so that damage was not visible from the office. Was told “go drop the trailer on the back lot”. No inspection, no concerns of damage or even if it had  a flat tire. No questions. Operator didn’t even get out of his chair. ….**sigh of relief**…… End of story, totally cavalier, uninterested, acerbic attitude by staff at both ends of rental. Old trailer that LOOKED old, worked OK, U Haul apparently uninterested in inspecting trailer before or after rental.
I noticed the entire U Haul fleet looked old and tired at both ends. It was apparent damage was no longer a major issue on this well-used equipment.
It appeared U Haul had not added any new equipment for many years.
Still, a satisfactory experience. Particularly in view of the damage I inflicted not being an issue. Trailer worked OK for the trip.

#3 General Comment

To answer Larry:

AUTHOR: Adolph - (USA)

This concerned me, particularly after I severely damaged the rt. fender hitting a post on a motel parking lot. I thought: WOW!...this’s going to be expensive”.
Fast forward to drop-off in Indiana at another dedicated U Haul depot. I pulled in (trailed empty), so that damage was not visible from the office. Was told “go drop the trailer on the back lot”. No inspection, no concerns of damage or even if it had  a flat tire. No questions. Operator didn’t get out of his chair. ….**sigh of relief**…… End of story, totally cavalier, uninterested, acerbic attitude by staff at both ends of rental. Old trailer that LOOKED old, worked OK, U Haul apparently uninterested in inspecting trailer before or after rental.
It appeared U Haul had not added any new equipment for many years.

It's nothing new

AUTHOR: Larry - (U.S.A.)

U-Haul has had a list of vehicles and/or types of vehicles that they will not rent trailers to for a long time.  I was refused a rental in 1981 because the Chevy 4x4 Blazer I was driving at the time had a soft top.  They told me that they do not rent trailers to vehicles lacking a hard top.  I doubt that the Exploder is the only vehicle still on the list.

More recently I tried to rent a car dolly to pull a Chrysler PT Cruiser behind my 1988 Isuzu Trooper.  U-Haul refused because they did not feel my Trooper's class 3 hitch was sufficient.  And I was just going to tow the car about 50 miles.

To the guy who towed the big trailer with the Suzuki: Did you rent from a U-Haul center or just one of their agents, like a gas station?  One thing I have learned about towing over the years is that how much weight your vehicle can pull or carry is not as important as how much weight your vehicle can stop.

Let's look at this another way, shall we?

AUTHOR: Bhawkins48 - (U.S.A.)

I had another Ford Explorer which I used to tow a 19-foot fully-loaded RV thousands of miles without a problem, yet U-Haul won't allow me to tow a 4x8 trailer that has a larger engine and is two-years newer?

How much?

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

"U-Haul is a RIP OFF!!!"

How much money were you ripped off from this company that declined your business?

#7 General Comment

Big vehicle, limited use?

AUTHOR: Adolph - (USA)

Wow! That’s a sad commentary on the Ford Exploder…errr I mean Explorer. In an emergency situation in Nov. 2008 I towed the largest tandem-axle U Haul rental trailer from Richmond, Kentucky to South Bend, Indiana. A distance of 400 miles.  This tow was accomplished with a Suzuki Sidekick with a 1.6 engine weighing much less than the gross weight of the trailer. (The trailer was  severely overloaded).
No problems: Light-weight peanut sized SUV with a mini motor. …..And a Ford weighing 1.8X the weight and having 3 to 4 X the motor is unsafe? Granted, the 5 speed transmission in the mighty Suzuki seldom made it beyond 3rd. or 4th. gear, but hey!....U Haul had no problems hooking the largest trailer they had in their fleet up to an aging 1994 1.6 Suzuki.  A sad commentary on Ford indeed.

A BLACK FORD EXPLORER

AUTHOR: jetames - (USA)

Was it a black Ford Explorer??? Now that's discrimination!

#9 Consumer Suggestion

I agree....Discrimination????

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

I fail to see how you think this is "discrimination". U-Haul is simply protecting its products against lawsuits if you should have an accident and sue while pulling the trailor with your car. Discrimination......come on, be real!!!!!!

#10 General Comment

It's not "the only vehicle"

AUTHOR: Striderq - (U.S.A.)

But if your vehicle is not capable of safely towing the trailer, they will not rent it to you. This is so unscrupulous people can't come back and sue them for damages saying "You knew my car couldn't tow the trailer but you still rented it to me".

And by the way it's only "descrimination" if you're refused something due to beiong in one of the "prtected groupd". And the Ford lobbyists haven't been able to add Explorers to that list.

Discrimination?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Discrimination...thanks for the laugh.

#12 Consumer Suggestion

This is a longstanding policy.

AUTHOR: BrianAPaone - (United States of America)

Apparently they had a problem defending against lawsuits involving Explorers and decided to stop allowing their products to be attached to 'em.

So, it's not you. It's your truck.