Complaint Review: UAC/Car Hop

• Updated: Mon, January 28, 2013

• Reported By: Katie — Richfield Minnesota United States of America
UAC/Car Hop
PO Box 398104 Edina, MN 55439-8104 Edina, Minnesota United States of America

UAC/Car Hop Perfect CarHop Customer and I get treated like CRAP Edina, Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: You let the car salesman take control of the deal

*Author of original report: I'm Confused

*Consumer Comment: Who In The H*** Made The Purchase?????

4 years ago, I made the biggest mistake of my life by purchasing a vehicle from UAC/Car Hop. After hitting a deer with my first car I bought from them, they agreed to give me a different one. (The only time they have ever been helpful.) I specifically asked the salesman if this new car would be covered under warranty since the warranty on the original car had expired. He said yes, it was covered. 4 days after driving the car off the lot, the transmission went out. I called warranty services thinking it would be no issue getting it repaired since I had a warranty. WRONG! They informed me that I actually did not have a warranty. They admitted fault and said that the salesman DID tell me there was a warranty but that he was incorrect. I had to fight like hell to get them to cover even half of the repair. A year or so later, the transmission started going out again and I only had $1000 left to pay, so mistake number 2: I went and purchased a new car from them. This car was a 2000 Chrysler 300M and they sold it to me for roughly $14,000. Yes, I understand part of the appeal of CarHop is that people with poor credit can still purchase cars so they hike the prices of their vehicles. Agreeing to this price was MY mistake. However, in the year and a half that I owned that car, I put over $2000 in repairs into it because they were things not covered under warranty. Finally after building my credit enough, I purchased a brand new vehicle from a dealership and the new finance company agreed to buy out the remaining amount of my loan. They called UAC to get the buyout amount and agreed to send them a check in that amount. 4 days later when my usual payments to UAC came out of my account, I noticed they took out ANOTHER payment even after the new finance company agreed to pay off the remaining amount. I called UAC and they refused to refund the money and said they would need to hold it until they received the check from the new finance company and then they'd refund it. Unfortunately since I had just had to put down a down payment on a new car, plus pay the rest of my bills (single family income so all bills are paid by me) I could not afford to have $200 held up for 10+ days. Not to mention, it didn't make sense to me that they'd have to hold onto my $200 knowing that they were going to receive a check for the full amt of the loan. I spoke with my new dealership and they suggested putting a stop payment on the withdrawl, so I did. Now, UAC is calling me and saying that yes, they received the check for the pay off amount but will not release the title for the car until I pay the $200. How did this change from the last time when I was told it would be refunded after they received payment from the finance company? They explained that the payoff amt given to the new finance company was my loan amt MINUS my next payment. This makes NO sense to me. Nothing was explained to me at the time I purchased my new vehicle. One would assume that when giving a payoff amount, it would be the amount owed that day and not the amt minus a future payment. They have been extremely rude and unhelpful every time I've called them to try and straighten this out. After everything I have been through with this company, I REFUSE to give them another cent. Especially since I no longer have the car they want me to pay on. I have been a loyal customer for 4 years despite the trouble they've given me, I've never missed a single payment, and this is how I'm treated? Do not waste your money on a car from these crooks. They are SCAM ARTISTS!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/24/2013 12:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/UACCar-Hop/Edina-Minnesota-/UACCar-Hop-Perfect-CarHop-Customer-and-I-get-treated-like-CRAP-Edina-Minnesota-1002625. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on UAC/Car Hop

You let the car salesman take control of the deal

AUTHOR: MovingForward - (USA)

Car salesman and car finance people lie. That is what they do for a living. They will say anything to get you to sign your name to a contract. Never sign anything without reading it, don't expect the salesman or the finance person to accurately give you the fine points of the contract.

You are the buyer. You are the one with the money. The buyer has all of the power before the contract is signed, but after the contract is signed, then the power switches over to the seller. So, the time to negotiate your warranty is at the time of purchase (or trade). If it is not written in the contract, than it doesn't exist. So yes, it was essentially your fault because you didn't have the sales rep put the warranty in writing. Should the dealership do the right thing? Yes. Will they do the right thing? Probably not. You need to take control in these contractual situations or you will get hurt in the deal if you leave it up to the sales rep.

I'm Confused

AUTHOR: KatieF1983 - (United States of America)

I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused. Are you implying that the car not having a warranty was MY fault?

Who In The H*** Made The Purchase?????

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

You say YOU bought this car from this SUBPRIME dealership.  Did it have four tires?  Did it have a steering wheel?  Suppose it didn't have a steering wheel...YOU would have seen this and YOU would have gone back inside to have them put one on.  YOU bought this car and YOU don't know if there's a warranty???  Why do you need to ask the salesman to tell you what YOU bought?  Why do YOU need to ask the salesman what is and what isn't covered?  Its YOUR car and its YOUR warranty!  Amazing!