Complaint Review: UCB United Collections Bureau

• Updated: Fri, February 15, 2013

• Reported By:Somerset Wisconsin
UCB United Collections Bureau
Toledo, Ohio U.S.A.

UCB United Collections Bureau Rude and disrespectful, plays head games ripoff Toledo Ohio

*Consumer Comment: are you kidding

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: rebutal

*Author of original report: UCB update, information forgot to include on initial entry

I had a Mastercard account with Citibank. Unfortunately, I got behind on payments and it ended up in collection.

I was contacted by a gentleman by the name of Bill Cardine, however I dont believe they use their real names. The initial contact from Bill was a very sarcastic message on my answering machine. He did not identify himself, other than stating a phone number and that he "needed an IMMEDIATE return phone call" from me. I never dodged Mr Cardine and called him back.

He began telling me that my account with Citibank had been turned over to them for "litigation" unless I paid it immediately. The balance was around $8000, and if I had that kind of money laying around, would never have gotten behind in the first place.

I work in a job where any civil action against me can damage my career. I told Mr Cardine that I would need to see what I could do (family, friends, ect) and get back to him. This was not acceptable. He told me that he needed something to tell Citibank "now" to show my intent to resolve this.

I told him I could not and would not commit to anything. Mr Cardine then told me that my answer may have serious repercussions, as my account was sent to them in "pre-legal" status and not just "collection" status, and that at anytime Citibank wants to, they will just sue me. His tone was very sarcastic and he seemed to enjoy upsetting me and using all the buzz words to scare me, which is one of their tactics.

I told him that I did not appreciate his attitude at all and I planned to make UCB aware of it. His reply was, "You don't pay your bills. Do you think anyone is going to listen to you or even care?" He said this at least twice.

I ended up borrowing from family and paying this debt off within a couple weeks. I never followed through on reporting Mr Cardine and after reading these posts and seeing similar complaints, I wish I would have. That was 10 months ago and at this point, I am sure no one would care. Citibank and UCB got their monies and that's all they care about.

Somerset, Wisconsin

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/09/2007 03:59 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/UCB-United-Collections-Bureau/Toledo-Ohio/UCB-United-Collections-Bureau-Rude-and-disrespectful-plays-head-games-ripoff-Toledo-Ohio-266312. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on UCB United Collections Bureau

are you kidding

AUTHOR: Ademra31 - (USA)

this is to the person who commented saying how there are 2 sides to every story. #1 you idiot there is no "legal department"!!! Your company may have given it that name but you have NO LEGAL AUTHORITY to do a darn thing!!!!!!!!!!! Your job is to simply collect on the debt thru legal and fair practices. You CAN NOT leave voice mails threatening and harrassing people. You CAN NOT disclose personal information about the debtor to a 3rd party, including family members, friends, POE's, etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period. Case Closed. You guys are hypicrits who think that just because you are collecting on someones debt means you are perfect and are in a place to judge someone. YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN COMMISSION BASED SCAVENGERS!! You get your rocks off by belittleing other people when in reality you are doing no beter in your financial lives then the peole you call and harrass every day. You live check to check to!!!!! You have bad days and emergencys in your lives too!!! These debts are not your personal debts, you are not loan sharks, so stop taking it so personal like the debtopr personally stole from your piggy bank!! Get a real job where you help the community or at the least learn to do your current job ethically and correctly. "Until then KILL YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

Yeah there are two sides to every story. No I was not there to hear the conversation. But if the account is in prelegal status you really dont have that many options. At that point in time you will need to find a way to make a secure arrangement and get things taken care of. I would. That is good that you got the bill taken care of. He is right, if the original creditor instructed ucb to take legal action against you, they have had enough of your empty promises. They gave you enough time before it came to collections and at some point you had some extra money. You may have felt as if you are a victim, but you victimized them by not paying the creditor.

UCB update, information forgot to include on initial entry

AUTHOR: Tim - (U.S.A.)

There are 2 other things Mr. Cardine did, to show just what kind of company this is.

I told him that I could not make any commitment during my initial phone call, and that I would have to other funding possibilities and get back to him. He told me he was indicating in my "case file" that I was "refusing to pay" the debt, and that was not going to look good to Citibank.

He also continually mispronounced my last name, even after I corrected him multiple times. It was clear that he was having a great deal of fun irritating me and just kept it up.

This company is unscrupulous.