Complaint Review: UCC Total Home

• Submitted: Sun, September 18, 2005
  • Updated: Sun, September 18, 2005

• Reported By:dix Hills New York
UCC Total Home
20 Oser Ave. Hauppauge, New York U.S.A.

UCC Total Home They don't honor their committment Hauppauge New York

My husband and I became members of UCC Total Home in September of 1995. At the time we joined, we were told by their representative that it was a "lifetime membership" The membership fee was $1300 for two years and $110 per year for dues for the next 8 eight years. After the 10 years period was up, we were told that all we had to do was to continue paying the prevailing yearly dues (which is now $190) to continue the membership. The only reason that we joined is because we were told we would be "lifetime members"

I have recently spoken to the owner of the club since it will be 10 years at the end of September. To my disbelief, he is now telling me that they changed the policy about 3 years ago and it is no longer a "lifetime membership". He is telling me that in order to continue I would have to rejoin and the fee would be half of the current membership fee of $3900. So they want me to pay $1950, which is the same fee anyone would pay who was a member previously and wanted to rejoin. Even though there is nothing written in the contract about it being a "lifetime membership", he is not denying it, and even states that it was their intension for it to be a lifetime membership, but because the club moved to a larger showroom, etc they incurred so many expenses that had to change the policy a few years ago.

I'm not going to pay them $1950. There is a big difference between paying $190 and $1950 and I feel that if this is what I was told by them, then it is their obligation to honor their committment to me. It just doesn't seem ethical that a company would just tell someone anything just to get their money and then just change the rules whenever they feel like it to suit themselves. I believe even though it is not in writting it still can be considered an express contract? I do plan on taking futher action if they do not honor their committment

Ricky
Smithtown, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/18/2005 07:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/UCC-Total-Home/Hauppauge-New-York-11788/UCC-Total-Home-They-dont-honor-their-committment-Hauppauge-New-York-157536. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on UCC Total Home