Complaint Review: UMUC

• Updated: Wed, March 12, 2014

• Reported By: Life-Long Learner — Baltimore Maryland
UMUC
3501 University Blvd. East Adelphi, Maryland USA

UMUC University of Maryland University College Incompetence and Laziness in Office of Financial Aid and Student Services Adelphi Maryland

*Consumer Suggestion: VICTIM OF SAME COMPANY

In the spring term, I withdrew from the Graduate School and enrolled in a program in the Undergraduate School. I called the Financial Aid office to ask if I needed to reapply for aid as an undergrad. I was told that my aid had already been calculated, and there was nothing I needed to do.

After my aid did not disburse in January, I called again to inquire. I was told that since one of my classes did not begin until March 17, my aid would not disburse until then because I would then be at half-time status.

This Tuesday, I noticed that my aid still had not disbursed, so I called again. I was told that it would appear on my student account at the end of the day. When it still didn't appear, I called again. That time I was told it would disburse on Thursday.

Frustrated, I called back to speak with a supervisor. I inquired if the problem could be stemming from the fact that I was initially awarded as a grad student. The supervisor told me that my aid would not disburse because I was awarded as a grad student and had to be repackaged as an undergraduate. She expedited my case.

Today I received a past due notice from the Office of Student Accounts. I also just received a notice from the FAO that I had been awarded. However, when I went to my Student Account, no award is listed, and there is an overdue balance.

I began this program after a UMUC representatives gave me incorrect information regarding my financial aid status.  Now that I have completed one course, I find out that I must pay for it out-of-pocket. Also, my next course is due to start on Monday, and since I HAD BEEN TOLD BY UMUC REPRESENTATIVES that I was getting financial aid, I have made no other arrangements to pay my tuition.

Also, the supervisor overseeing my case never saw fit to contact me directly to explain the status.  Instead, I get an auto-response email at 2AM sending to my Student Account where I notice a bursar hold and no financial aid.  This is a completely unacceptable way to treat students and an irresponsible way of conducting business.

Had I known that I was not eligible for financial aid in January (WHEN I ASKED), I probably would not have enrolled in courses at this time. Furthermore, it is ridiculous that I, and not UMUC representatives, had figure out the problem!  UMUC basically lied to me about my financial obligations, and now I have a past due account and will have to withdraw from classes. I cannot believe the way they have created such an upsetting situation for me!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/12/2014 11:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/UMUC/Adelphi-Maryland-20783/UMUC-University-of-Maryland-University-College-Incompetence-and-Laziness-in-Office-of-Fin-1130360. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on UMUC

#1 Consumer Suggestion

VICTIM OF SAME COMPANY

AUTHOR: Tech Sgt Gabriel - (USA)

Greetings,

I am currently being harassed and otherwise made miserable by the same institution.

My wife however, had the exact same thing happen to her that happened to you. When she first started, the Financial Aid Office of UMUC Europe made an absolute MESS out of her financial aid file. I was trying to transfer my GI Bill benefits to her, and they...Director (Edna Roy)...of Financial Aid for UMUC EUROPE in Heidelberg, Germany...was completely and utterly incompetent. My wife was an absolutel nervous wreck about the situation, and fought and worried and lost sleep for EIGHT LONG MONTHS while also being ripped from her homeland and forced to live in a foreign country for the first time in the bitter cold. It was a terrible straign on our marriage, and her mental and physical well-being. To add insult to injury, not only did she spend so much time being her own 'trainer' in how to move through the Gi Bill process, but after communicating with Ms Roy for months and begging for help, Ms Roy looked my wife in the face and said, "Megan, next time you cant Email me so much. Ok?" Like my wife was some pathetic begger that couldnt be bothered with. It was such a disgrace. So not only did Ms Roy fail miserably to do her own job and explain to my wife from day one what was needed from her, she waited several months of excruciating agony to tell her, then lost her check (seriously), THEN looked her in the face right in front of me when we drove three hours to collect the check in person and said, "Next time...you cant Email me so much..."

I have no words for the disrespect, and the agony, that we both suffered at this school due to their utter lack of ethics and incompetence.

What you and my wife experience, I really think it should be reported to the United States Department of Education, so that they can investigate why UMUC fails miserably at having successful processes that make financial aid available to students as it is intended by the Federal Government to be.

Kind regards,