Complaint Review: UPS A.R.S. Return Labels

• Reported By:Peabody Massachusetts
UPS A.R.S. Return Labels
Internet U.S.A.

UPS A.R.S. Return Labels ripoff, scam! Internet

*Author of original report: no convenient locations

*Author of original report: Solutions

*Consumer Comment: Why I prefer FedEx!

*Consumer Suggestion: 35 Drop Off Locations Within 15 miles of Peabody, MA

*Author of original report: UPS Store too inconvenient

*Consumer Suggestion: Drop it at a UPS store

*Consumer Comment: an example run-in with APC using these labels to return dead batteries for recycling

Those UPS A.R.S. return labels that some companies give you to return product for "free". A warning to all you might get scammed by one of these labels. All they really are is mostly just promotion of UPS stores, hence it is free to drop off to a UPS store, and also the company giving you the label gets a discount on the shipping cost if you drop off at a UPS store as well.

The scam is: Most companies do not include a pick up with their labels, so if you have to call for a pick up, then it'll be $10 to pick up your package. Yes, even through UPS "normally" charges $4 per box for a "normal" pick up. Often times the $10 charge can meet of exeed the cost of postage if you were to just pay the post office instead.

So what a rip! So these labels, "free" only if you get the package into the UPS system they way THEY want you to, deviate from that in any way, NOT FREE.

Jason
Peabody, Massachusetts

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/20/2005 05:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/UPS-ARS-Return-Labels/internet/UPS-ARS-Return-Labels-ripoff-scam-Internet-157773. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on UPS A.R.S. Return Labels

no convenient locations

AUTHOR: Jason - (USA)

UPS stores are simply not numerous enough to be convenient like post offices.  The two closest ones are out on 114 or in an industrial park.  They're located more for attracting business use rather than residential use.  As long as there are no "corner UPS stores", the ARS program isn't going to work!

Solutions

AUTHOR: Jason - (USA)

Fedex doesn't normally chrage me for their label, heres how:  Fedex won't let you set up a pick up unless you have an account.  No problem, since the return label has the account number on it.  Just use that to set up the pickup and it's no chrarge.

For UPS, I've found a solution.  UPS lets you set up pickups to anyone if you say it's some kind of air shipment.  So I get online and select 2nd day air or next day, and it lets me set up a pick up without any account, tracking numbers, or credit cards.  The driver shows up at my house and takes whatever box I give him, doesn't check it or refuse it, but just runs off with it like normally.

Why I prefer FedEx!

AUTHOR: MellyB - (United States of America)

I too had a bad experience with these. I have one that is "prepaid" by Nintendo for a defective Wii. However, UPS wants $11.00 to come and pick it up. Too Much! My zip code is 41360. I invite anyone to google that to see where my nearest drop off is. I can tell you it is in Stanton KY. 20 miles away. However, I will flag a driver down. I also have started asking those companies I shop with if they use UPS or FedEx. Because well there is a reason UPS has such a bad reputation; lost & damaged items, rude drivers and their infamous drop and run.
Oh and incidentally I had to return my iPhone to Apple last week to have the battery replaced. It was out of warranty but they sent a label also a return prepaid and wonders of wonders there was no charge by FedEx for the pick up.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

35 Drop Off Locations Within 15 miles of Peabody, MA

AUTHOR: County Pool & Spa - (U.S.A.)

The UPS locator shows 35 drop off locations (drop boxes not included) within 15 miles of Peabody, MA.

Sixteen (16) of these are Staples stores.

Eleven (11) locations are less than five miles from the 'center' of Peabody.

Do you want the world to beleive you drove around with this box on your back seat for a month and never drove anywhere near:

1. A single UPS store
2. A single Staples store
3. Any of the 35 drop off locations in and around Peabody, MA?

Suggest Google Mail Goggles:

Google strives to make the world's information useful. Mail you send late night on the weekends may be useful but you may regret it the next morning.

Solve some simple math problems and you're good to go.

Otherwise, get a good night's sleep and try again in the morning. After enabling this feature, you can adjust the schedule in the "General" settings page.

UPS Store too inconvenient

AUTHOR: Jason - (U.S.A.)

I guess I didn't really make it clear, but the nearest UPS store is too far out of my way. (hence trying to get a pickup) I did end up driving around with the box on my back seat for a couple of months, but I did finally get it dropped off. Funny thing is, DHL's drop boxes are the only ones that can take packages. The UPS and Fedex ones are nearly useless to me since I rarely send envelopes. The ars labels are still a ripoff though - $10 for a pickup, wheras a normal pickup is half that.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

Drop it at a UPS store

AUTHOR: Wayne - (U.S.A.)

Sorry to disappoint, but FedEX charges the same fee depending on the merchant also. It's up to the company providing the label if they provide for at home pickup. Most have found there's no need since you can just drop it off at a UPS Store (Old Mailboxes Etc.) or FedEX (Kinkos) location.

AUTHOR: Jason - (U.S.A.)

I recently had a run-in with APC using these labels to return dead batteries for recycling. Here's an email I wrote to them, and I want to use it as an example of this label ripoff.

--------
I thought for the extra money to purchase genuine APC batteries that all I had to do is swap the batteries in the shipping box and call UPS and have them take it away for nothing, so it would have been very convenient. The $10 UPS charge exceeds the cost if I were to pay the shipping cost myself. So with that, I will no longer be buying genuine APC replacement batteries. Instead Ebay looks more attractive now since generic batteries are only $20 each, and if I feel like returning the old batteries, shipping cost to me is only about $8. That's a total bill for $28 vs nearly $40 for the genuine APC product with the UPS pickup charge. With this information, my conclusion is that as long as APC uses UPS to return dead batteries, I will no longer be buying genuine APC replacement batteries. I would highly suggest you stop using those fraudulant UPS a.r.s. labels. I suggest Fedex or DHL, which both have similar return labels, but they both do not charge the consumer for a pickup fee. Anyways, the dead battery I have now; I will hang onto the package until I just happen to meat a UPS driver or something, but other than that; if this thing hangs around too long, I will probably get sick of it hanging aound and I'll probably end up throwing it out. For your recycling program to work better, you're just going to have to dump UPS!

loose