Complaint Review: UPS Store 5188

• Reported By: preppy05 — Knoxville Tennessee USA
UPS Store 5188
1514 Broadway New York, New York United States of America

UPS Store 5188 poor packing, broken shipment, dishonest New York, New York

*Author of original report: Remaining refund paid

I had a package shipped from this location on 10/17/10. I had paid EXTRA for fragile wrap and had instructed the employee to make sure my Wizard of Oz carousel was wrapped properly so it wouldnt break. My bill came to 47.29, and I had placed 500 insurance on it. After a few days back home in TN the box arrived and most of the contents were fine except the carousel which was badly damaged. I called that UPS store and talked to a guy named Waldo who was supposted to put the claim in and DID NOTHING. I waited about a week before calling UPS's main number to ask what was going on only to be informed no claim had been made and do I want to make one now. I told her yes and she said to email her plenty of pictures and it would be inspected and the verdict sent to the store in Times Square. I waited for another week or so calling every few days to check on it until finally they said the claim had been denied due to poor packaging. The employee that I had paid for fragile wrap had given them the impression that I had packed it before coming in which I had not.

I then asked to speak to a manager which was once again Waldo who said he would take care of it. After waiting over a week this time I was over it and called the customer service number for UPS/Mail boxes, etc. I spoke to a woman named Mary Beth who was helpful, but even with her it still would take days to hear back. It was around Thanksgiving at this point when the store FINALLY called me back saying that they were waiting on a check for 135.00 to cover my damaged item. That same day Mary Beth called saying the check was for 174 to cover my orginal shipping charges as well. I waited a few more days before getting a check for 135.00 from that location's owner I am assuming Bradley Kaplan. I called the store to speak to him but of course he wasnt around and never has been when I have called him.

A few days later, UPS calls telling me to pick up a check for 174? I told her I already had a check for 135 so he owed me a check for 39.00. I waited around for her to get back to me for a few days and nothing. I then called Mary Beth back once again and she had still heard nothing so I took it to the next level. I wrote Mr. Kaplan back stating that I knew he got a check for 174 and issued me one for only 135 and that was very dishonest. I am still waiting for a call back but nothing, so consumers shouldnt use this location if you ship fragile items. The customer service team for UPS was cordial enough but the staff at this store will beat around the bush and lie just to get you off the phone. I will update this report once I have gotten my money back from where I shipped with them to start with.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/04/2010 01:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/UPS-Store-5188/New-York-New-York-10036/UPS-Store-5188-poor-packing-broken-shipment-dishonest-New-York-New-York-668113. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on UPS Store 5188

Remaining refund paid

AUTHOR: preppy05 - (USA)

On December 6th, 2010 I received a check for 39.29 from this location finally! I am now satisified with the outcome, and all it took was 2 months :)