Complaint Review: US AIRWAYS

• Submitted: Thu, December 25, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, December 25, 2008

• Reported By:Montreal Quebec
US AIRWAYS
www.usairways.com Philadelphia, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

US AIRWAYS STOLEN LAPTOP CHECKED-IN BAGGAGE IN PHILADELPHIA Philadelphia Pennsylvania

I just realized that my Sony Valio Laptop has been stolen from my checked-in baggage. I checked it in Madrid, and then I checked it out in Philadelphia for my connecting flight to Montreal where it was checked in again. It is the fourth time I do this flight this year with US AIRWAYS. It is the first time I had the bad idea to check in my laptop. Since it is Christmas I had gifts with me and had to prioritize some valuables to bring on the plane. I decided to check in the laptop as it would save me the bother of taking it out at each security check. I've had the laptop for two years and would evaluate it at around 500$. But my concern is not the money, but all my sensitive info that is in the computer, personal and work related. And that horrible feeling of being ripped-offon Chrismass. I thought the secure area of an Airport was just that, secure. Now I know from browsing the web that many people got their laptop stolen in Philladelphia by US AIRWAY personnel and got no compensation. My main concern is if they can simply take things from your baggage, who says they can't put something inside: maybe a kilo of cocaine to send to their accomplice in another airport, or maybe something much more dangerous such as an explosive device. Just how controlled and secure is the airport baggage control area in Philadelphia? Are they under camera surveillance? You can't just slip a laptop in your pocket. Shouldn't a security breach at any level within an American airport be considered a serious threat these days?

Bad luck is bad luck. But if there is an unusual amount of claims of thefts in a same spot I believe it is due to negligence of the airline and its associates. It is not simply luck when there is a pattern.

Happy X-mass.

Gaby
Montreal, Quebec
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/25/2008 01:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/US-AIRWAYS/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania/US-AIRWAYS-STOLEN-LAPTOP-CHECKED-IN-BAGGAGE-IN-PHILADELPHIA-Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-404841. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on US AIRWAYS