Complaint Review: US Air

• Updated: Thu, July 31, 2008

• Reported By:Upper Darby Pennsylvania
US Air
www.usair.com Nationwide U.S.A.

US Airways US Air They stole my frequent flyer miles and are holding them ransom Phoenix Arizona

*Consumer Suggestion: Suggestion

*Consumer Comment: Changing Policies Regarding Frequent Flier Programs

I'll tell you -- when you give an incentive to a customer -- rule #1 -- don't take it away or you are worse off than before giving it. US Air -- in following with all other incentive airline plans -- offered frequent flyer miles. I had quite a few stacked up. Then, I called them to order another ticket, and asked how many miles do I have stored up? Nothing -- your frequent flyer miles have been taken away. "Why?" Because you didn't fly with us for the past 18 months." Then, she went on to say that I can get my miles back by paying them $100 or buying a first class airline ticket. WHAT A JOKE!

Shannon
Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/02/2008 07:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/US-Air/nationwide/US-Airways-US-Air-They-stole-my-frequent-flyer-miles-and-are-holding-them-ransom-Phoenix-A-330233. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on US Air

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Suggestion

AUTHOR: Nikki - (U.S.A.)

I too have frequent flyer miles with a different carrier. Since I hadn't flown with them and my miles would expire, I donated some miles to Make a Wish Foundation. That reset my 18 months.

Changing Policies Regarding Frequent Flier Programs

AUTHOR: Charlie - (U.S.A.)

I am not a fan of US Airways, in my case formerly America West, however I can't say I have too much sympathy for your situation. I had miles with America West and not long after the merger of America West and US Air I received a letter explaining the new combined frequent flier progam. Included in this information was the fact that miles would expire after 18 months of account inactivity. Now you mentioned that the representative you spoke with stated the miles were deleted "because you haven't flown with us" which is not entirely accurate. Any activity which would have resulted in a deposit of miles into your account would have reset the "18 month clock" on the expiry of your miles and there are ways to get miles without flying US Air. You can fly on any one of their Star Alliance partners such as United Airlines. You can stay at one of their hotel partners. You can shop for merchandise online at the "Divident Miles Shopping Mall." Finally, if none of those options would have worked for you, for $50 you could have purchased 1000 miles to keep your account active. As far as the $100 re-instatement fee, I personally don't agree with it however all airlines are barely staying afloat these days and fees for services like this are here to stay. If you have enough miles for a ticket it seems to me that $100 is a small price to pay to be able to use those miles.