Complaint Review: US Bank

www.usbank.com Nationwide U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

US Bank One fraudulent charge resulting in hundreds of dollars of NSF charges. Nationwide

*Consumer Suggestion: Sounds like a dormant fee charge.

*Consumer Comment: $3 charge?

I had a fraudulent charge hit my US Bank (checking) account a couple of years ago. I was not using this account as I'd just moved to an area where there were no US Bank branches, so there was a balance of only $1-2.

The fraudulent $3 charge resulted in what turned out to be over $300 in NSF charges. I received a letter in the mail from US Bank asking me to pony up the amount due.

I phoned the manager of "my" branch, explaining to her what happened. She had assisted me one time before when I had a fraudulent charge cause my account to go into the red. I left her a voice mail explaining what happened and asked her to call me back if the information I provided her was not sufficient.

No call back, no more letters. When I tried to log in to the account online, it gave me an error message to the effect of "this account is closed".

A year later, I started getting letters from a collections agency trying to get me to pay for these charges. Despite me sending them two letters (both through registered mail), they did not respond to me in any way and have now turned the case over to yet another collections agency.

Before my credit gets screwed, I'm opening two new fallback bank accounts. There is no way in h*ll I'm paying NSF charges brought about by something that I didn't even do.

What's up Mr. Cheezle
., Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/29/2008 11:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/US-Bank/nationwide/US-Bank-One-fraudulent-charge-resulting-in-hundreds-of-dollars-of-NSF-charges-Nationwide-376972. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on US Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Sounds like a dormant fee charge.

AUTHOR: I Am The Law - (U.S.A.)

Sounds like a dormant fee charge. They'll just tell you the fee information was in the packet you signed when you opened the account.

$3 charge?

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

What was the $3 charge?

Was it a charge that someone actually made to your account or was it a bank fee? I'm not sure why you would keep an account open and not use it for a year or two. Ordinarily I would think that it is the dormant account fee, but that is more than $3. Is it possible that you had more than $2 in your account?

Not enough details...