Complaint Review: US Magazine Service

• Reported By:Sparta Tennessee
US Magazine Service
Lolo, Montana U.S.A.

US Magazine Service Scam from US Magazine Service Lolo Montana

So like many others I was contacted by someone (I think her name was Mandy) from US Magazine Service. They told me that my debit card had entered me into a million dollar sweepstake. Also in addition to being entered I will receive a free diamond ladies watch and two free subscriptions to Glamor and Cosmo.

I was very distracted when the lady asked me how the weather was where I lived. She asked me what I did for a living and then started small talk about my major in college. She then informed me that since my major was English that I would receive Reader's Digest. I was then asked if I liked rock music or hip hop music. I was then told I would receive Rolling Stone magazine as well.

She then stated that her supervisor would be calling and asked if I would put in a good word for her. I figured that since she seemed nice that it wouldn't be a problem.

Well her supervisor was right there so I talked to him right then. He asked for my credit card number, my address, an alternative phone number, and my name. Being stupid, I gave it to him. I mean I'm only 20 years old. I didn't know things like that were scams.

Well the supervisor informed me that since I was a college student I would be getting the college discount of $49.81 a month for 3 months for the magazines. He also told me that I would be receiving the four magazines and a lady's watch. Also he told me that his supervisor would be calling me to confirm.

When his supervisor called 3 minutes later I was starting to get suspicious. I asked if I could cancel if I wasn't satisfied and instead of answering my question he said, "We have over a 100 titles to choose from and you can switch your choices as many times as you like." I was told I would receive my magazines in 10 days.

When I looked on my bank account today, I saw I had a charge for $49.81. When I tried to call the number that was included on the transaction description, I was taken straight to an answering service. I then googled their number and came up with this site.

I contacted my bank and they blacked out my card and I am receiving a new one. I also disputed the money that was taken out of my account, so I will receive it back.

I'm just frightened that they will contact a collections agency.

Shawn
Sparta, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/06/2008 01:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/US-Magazine-Service/Lolo-Montana/US-Magazine-Service-Scam-from-US-Magazine-Service-Lolo-Montana-324090. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on US Magazine Service