Complaint Review: US Postal Service

• Updated: Wed, May 22, 2013

• Reported By: Diane — Lincoln California
US Postal Service
Berkeley, California USA

US Postal Service Carrier mishandled my package and now it is missing and they are denying the insurance claim Berkeley California

*Consumer Suggestion: Here is what I would do

Two and a half months ago I purchased myself a new computer. Soon afterwards, I felt quilty for spending so much money when my son will be going to a university next year and we will be paying for it. I decided that it would be best for me to sell it and wait until a later time for me to get a new computer. I listed it on eBay and received nearly all that I had paid for it.

I repackaged it and reloaded the operating system so that the new buyer would be happy with it. I used the Postal Systems Click'n'Ship site to arrange the shipping of the computer to the new owner, a distance of approximately 100 miles. I considered driving down and meeting the new buyer, but I preferred to have a paper trail of the shipping of the computer. I purchased the priority mail service, added the insurance for the value of the computer, and as an extra measure I also added a signature confirmation so that the buyer would need to sign for the package. [continued below]....

..... I brought it into the post office and had them scan it in so there was a record that they had received the item. Later, I checked the tracking and the package looked to be on track to arrive at the buyers home in two days.

I checked the expected day of delivery and was relieved to see that it was delivered. But the next day the buyer sent me a message and said that he had not gotten it. I looked at the tracking information and requested a copy of the signature that the carrier had obtained when they delivered. I was surprised to see that the form that the carrier had scanned in was a complete blank. I didn't understand how she could scan a blank form and not realize there was a problem.

The buyer and I contacted the postal service and they started an investigation. There was a police report filed. I initiated an insurance claim. The carrier spoke with the buyer and stated that she did not know what had happened to the computer, and that it had been a busy day and she did not remember it. The buyer started an eBay claim since they had not received the computer. I had no alternative but to refund them the money they paid for the lost or stolen computer.

After two months of waiting and receiving no information about where the computer had gone, I received a denial of my insurance claim. The next day I presented my documentation and appealed the denial. Within 24 hours they had denied the appeal. I feel like the post office was stealing from me. I have documentation of their mishandling of my package that I had entrusted them to deliver and I can't understand how they could miss that if they had gotten the signature that I had paid for my computer would not be gone and I would not be in this nightmare.

I have filed another appeal but I don't have much hope that it will be handled any better tham anything else has been in this transaction.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/22/2013 12:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/US-Postal-Service/Berkeley-California/US-Postal-Service-Carrier-mishandled-my-package-and-now-it-is-missing-and-they-are-denyi-1052847. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on US Postal Service

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Here is what I would do

AUTHOR: MochaG - ()

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I searched on line and found this link from USA.gov which contains a list of what you could do to complain about their service. I hope this would help.