• Report: #819361

• Submitted: Sat, January 07, 2012
  • Updated: Sat, January 07, 2012

• Reported By: C Gravino — Barrington New Jersey United States of America
US Treasury Grant Dept
200 Independence SW Ave Washington, District of Columbia United States of America

US Treasury Grant Dept Sierra Jones Mgr/ Nancy Smith 1st contact 7000 dollar Free? Grant Money Washington, District of Columbia

was called today by a Nancy Smith who had a middle east accent and said she was of course from the US Treasury Grant Dept and said I had been selected for a free grant of $7,000 Dollars that I didn't need to pay back.  I asked what was the catch and what did I have to pay out and she responded "nothing".  She then gave me a Grant Approval number of RM004 and the name of her supervisor Sierra Smith who also had a middle eastern accent and a phone number of 202-684-6772.  She told me to hang up and call her supervisor and re-verify my name, bank account info  (That I stupidly gave them).  I called the supervisor and she reverified my info again.  All of a sudden there was a donation that I needed to do of 200.00 to one of 3 middle east and China charities by going with cash only to my nearest Western Union Office send the money to them and call them while I was at the western union office so the could credit my bank account with the $7,000 dollars.

I feel so stupid.  I did call my bank and notified them immediately.  They suggested that I go to my local branch and change my account number.  More work for me.  I am just grateful that this was the weekend and I can go first thing Monday.  For all of you out there please take this as a warning, that I was told that the goverment will usually never approve a grant to you by phone, usuallly always by mail. So if you get a phone call like this, tell them to their face that you know it's a scam and hang up.  You will be saving yourself a headache.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/07/2012 12:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/US-Treasury-Grant-Dept/Washington-District-of-Columbia-20201/US-Treasury-Grant-Dept-Sierra-Jones-Mgr-Nancy-Smith-1st-contact-7000-dollar-Free-Grant-M-819361. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on US Treasury Grant Dept