• Report: #1071907

• Updated: Wed, July 31, 2013

• Reported By: hfull1 — Virginia
USA Moving & Storage
Rockville, Maryland USA

USA Moving & Storage US Movers, PROmovers, Carlos, Gabby Deceiving, bait and switch, overcharging, liars, cheat, theives, hold hostage, unprofessional sales tactics, Rockville Maryland

*Author of original report: Pro Movers resolution

*General Comment: I have also been scammed

I hired US Movers on July 23, 2013 to move an inoperable upright (junk) piano a mile and a half from my neighbors house to mine.  I spoke with Carlos and he told me that he could not give me the $99.00 per hour since it was a piano.  Normally this runs $150.00 per hour but he would give a price of $139.00 per hour plus travel time equal to the the hourly rate, presumably $139.00 total for travel.  I agreed to this.

He had me pay a $100.00 deposit which would be refunded at the end of the move.  After several phone conversations, it was agreed that it would cost approximately $280.00 to move this piano, unless the move was more than one hour.

The movers showed up on Sunday, July 28, 2013 at my neighbors house at 12:15.  They were supposed to call 1/2 hour before showing, but no big deal.  Their truck was an Enterprise rental, 16 footer, way overkill, and no DOT.  A small pickup would have sufficed.

As soon as they arrived, they put me 'on the clock,' so I had little time to sign and initial formalities.  Even with having to hit the ground running, the move took little time.  It was only a mile and a half away.

When they got to my house, that's when the shananigans took place.  I was forced to agree to many charges that I did not originally agree to before they would unload the piano.  They charged me 2 hours travel (2 X $139.00), that's $280.00 plus $66.00 for a fuel surcharge.  (Yea, like they're only going to one location here, my gas will probably suffice most of their journey that day)  They charged an additional $200.00 just because it was a piano.  They charged $46.00 for packing materials (old blanket and some tape) that I did not even get to keep.

Fortunately, they were not able to gouge me on the hourly rate of the move since it totaled 1/2 hour exactly.  All the while, the driver was telling me, well, were not charging you for this, and that.  It would have been a thousand dollars if they had.   Total for this move was $729.00.

I told the driver that I was not happy about this, but I still gave them $20.00 to split between the three for lunch.  I emailed Carlos immediately and told him that I was very dissapointed in his tactics, especially since I had to go through all of these hoops and then get ripped off by overcharges and add ons.

I emailed him again, and told him to go ahead and ignore me, but I wasn't through yet.  I called Carlos yesterday, but only got his voicemail (did not even identify himself on the greeting, just a beep).  No reply.  I called the 703-249-9181 after 8:00PM and got a hold of Gabby.

Gabby said he wasn't in the office and to call back tomorrow at 10:00AM or 11:00AM??????  I called today and it did not go very well. I told him that we needed to adjust the cost of the move, and he said how about $50.00?  I said we need to adjust more like over $400.00.  He said I would have to call Carlos on Monday.

I think that this is Standard Operating Procedure for these scam artist.  I told Gabby that this was a dishonest way of doing business and highway robbery!  I also told him that if we did not come to an adjustment today, I had no choice but to dispute through my Credit Card.  He told me that I was a thief and hung up on me.  Very professional, huh?

I guess I'll have to go the route of the Credit Card dispute.  Why can't these companies be up front?  I'm willing to pay what I agreed to even with a $50.00 to $100.00 fudge factor.   But not more than double.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2013 06:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/USA-Moving-Storage/Rockville-Maryland/USA-Moving-Storage-US-Movers-PROmovers-Carlos-Gabby-Deceiving-bait-and-switch-over-1071907. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on USA Moving & Storage

Pro Movers resolution

AUTHOR: hfull1 - ()

I'm sorry to say that I've lost my momemtum on this issue.  However, you may have given me another push.  The very least you can do is to work with your credit card issuer in the form  of a dispute of charges.  Another, I think more powerful, is to report them to the Justice Department.  They are well aware of unscrupulous movers and have had documentaries on TV.  I've had a full plate and I have not done this yet.

#2 General Comment

I have also been scammed

AUTHOR: angry mover - ()

I just moved today and has also been ripped offed with the movers called "promovers.inc." I believe it is the same company as yours. Could you tell me what I can do to stop these thiefs? or what I can do to complain to Better Business Bureau?

my email is phone is (((redacted)))  Please text me. I feel robbed.