• Report: #198202

• Submitted: Mon, June 26, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, March 29, 2012

• Reported By:Las Vegas Nevada
USAA Bank
10750 McDermott Freeway San Antonio, Texas U.S.A.
  • Phone: 210-456-8040
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

USAA Bank RIPOFF FROZEN ACCOUNT POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE STAY AWAY San Antonio Texas

*Consumer Comment: USAA Helpful? Get Serious

*Consumer Suggestion: FAX IT TO THEM....

Got my card, my checks, and my satisfaction, for about 3 days. After the 4th day they froze my account without warning saying I needed to mail in (No Fax, E-Mail, or other instant method of delivery) copies of my drivers license and SS card, and when I mailed this in it would be 5-7 business days before they would even receive it. Its been a month, and still have not gotten anywhere. I'm glad I didn't dump too much money into this account, their cusomer service reps are rude and unhelpful. I'll post my experience with them on ripoffreport.com also. I even told a friend about USAA after I got my account, and they did the same thing to him, yet he was able to get the matter resolved over the phone.

"They can't find it, please re-mail it"

Was sent Priority Mail (not sure if there was a signature, just a date/time of delivery"

Facts? Not sure what you mean, I got account, made deposit, used my debit mastercard a few times, and that was the end of it. Said they needed additional information (specifically, the PATRIOT act, which is bulls*it anyway) and the information they needed was simply a drivers license and social security card, ok great, I have both, where do I mail to? They gave me an address in Texas to send to, so I did, and included my account number and member number on the same page, this was sent almost 3 weeks ago, giving 3 days mail time + 5 days "mail room/processing time" this is more then enough time for them to have received it. Even the customer service rep admitted "they don't always forward the document to the correct department". So I am supposed to just wait ANOTHER 2 weeks for their unorganized mail room to redirect a new letter to the right person who needs it to reactivate my account?

Ryan
Las Vegas, Nevada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/26/2006 09:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/USAA-Bank/San-Antonio-Texas-78288/USAA-Bank-RIPOFF-FROZEN-ACCOUNT-POOR-CUSTOMER-SERVICE-STAY-AWAY-San-Antonio-Texas-198202. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on USAA Bank

USAA Helpful? Get Serious

AUTHOR: lynt - (United States of America)

Let me tell you how helpful these folks were to me a few moments ago:  Checked my credit card balance because of all the holds they put on my money.   I just don't trust them.  Called and spoke to "Sandra" at the 800-531-8722 number.  I tell her that when I add up the charges of my available balance to what I have already charged, it doesn't add up to the card limit.   That's an ordinary, everyday banking process.  You charge, they deduct.  What's left is "available in every accounting process that I know of.  Ms. Customer Service Sandra tells me something that is so out of the ordinary that I hung up the phone:  "Your pending charges have not been taken out of your available balance yet."  Now, I have never seen a bank that doesn't deduct your charges and leave you with the available balance information!  I tell her that this is nonsense.  What's the use of indicating a "pending" charge if it's not reflected in the available friggin' balance.

I thought about this for a while and kept scratching my head.  I called back and spoke to "Roxanne".  Told her what Sandra said, and she apologized for the misinformation.  Told me that what Sandra said didn't even make sense because if the pending amount is not taken out already, then the available balance would be higher!  TaDA -  drum roll, please.

So, I'm glad you're having a great old time with USAA:  I know of people who disputed a credit card charge on March 1, and unlike other banks, they have not been given a provisional credit as of today's date!  There's something really wrong with this bank, and getting good service is a crap shoot.  You just don't know when or if you can rely on their word and it's proven that you can't rely on their processes.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

FAX IT TO THEM....

AUTHOR: Sherri - (U.S.A.)

That will expedite the process. They probably froze your account because something didn't check out exactly when they ran you through Equifax (driver's license number, address wrong, etc.). They asked the same from my husband for that reason (the spelling of his middle name was one letter off in Equifax), but we faxed it and had no problem. They didn't freeze our account being that I was the primary. They also have to have everthing correct, not just because of the Patriot Act, but because if they don't, you become subject to IRS withholding.

I find it surprising that you find USAA reps rude. I have banked with them for awhile now and have found them extremely friendly and helpful and more than willing to go out of their way. Guess why they are one of the few banks getting 5 star ratings on Epinion and other consumer boards.