Complaint Review: USAirways

• Updated: Fri, September 12, 2008

• Reported By:Mays Landing New Jersey
USAirways
www.usairways.com Nationwide U.S.A.

USAirways Beware! Infant Lap Child pays almost 50% of full fare! Phoenix Arizona

*Consumer Comment: RE: I wish all airlines charged as US Airways did!!!

*Consumer Comment: What a Sourpuss!!

*Consumer Comment: I wish all airlines charged as US Airways did!!!

*Author of original report: UPDATE - Charged 2x for this fare!!!

While attempting to book a family trip to Paris, France, we were informed (after 45 minutes on hold!) that we would have to pay $437.80 for our infant son to fly! Not for a seat of his own, but to RIDE ON OUR LAP the entire flight both ways. We are no strangers to international travel, and have flown with our older daughter when she was an infant. The rule of thumb then was 10% of the full fare plus taxes and fees. Now on top of that, USAirways has instilled a "fuel surcharge" of $165 EACH WAY for a child that is not even in a seat! We spoke to 4 different "supervisors", and each explained that due to the high cost in fuel prices, they are "forced" to charge this fee to each and every passenger, even if they only weigh 22 lbs (about the weight of a typical carry on bag!). One of the agents even tried to argue that my son's weight contributed as much as a 200 lb man! My argument to her was that, even with mine and my son's weight combined, we didn't even equal a 150 lb adult and that her logic was completely inaccurate. There's no doubt in my mind that this as pure cash money in USAirway's pockets... ripping off good, loyal customers because they can. I'm sure they'll soon be instilling a baggage fee of $20-$30 per bag, like most airlines are nowadays. My son weighs much less than the typical airline suitcase... you do the math -- it just doesn't compute!

Bouchacs
Mays Landing, New Jersey

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/28/2008 08:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/USAirways/nationwide/USAirways-Beware-Infant-Lap-Child-pays-almost-50-of-full-fare-Phoenix-Arizona-356757. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on USAirways

RE: I wish all airlines charged as US Airways did!!!

AUTHOR: Tom Maloney - (U.S.A.)

Maybe instead of having a separate "family area" on the plane, they should have a separate section on the plane for people such as yourself who obviously do not have the social skills to endure a multi-hour flight much less a trans-continental one. Speaking from personal experience; I have always been much more annoyed by people such as you who complain incessantly, loudly and pointlessly about crying children than I have by the children themselves. I'm sure I'm not alone in this sentiment either

What a Sourpuss!!

AUTHOR: Layla - (U.S.A.)

@ second poster

Obviously you have no children to make such statements. If not, it's best that you never do with an attitude such as yours. As a mother of two toddlers, I fly when we go on family vacations and try to keep my kids as calm as possible. But it does not help when passengers such as yourself snarl their noses up, and make little rude comments because they hear a child crying. This is to be expected and its hard to explain to a two year old that they are not suppose to cry. Maybe you should go somewhere other than earth and live a lonely and sad life with your cats and dogs, if being around children affects you this bad. I despise people like you.

I wish all airlines charged as US Airways did!!!

AUTHOR: Elaine - (U.S.A.)

I'm perfectly happy that they charged you that fee. I'm happy when they make ANY parent pay full-fare for their children. As the person generally sitting in front of a parent with a kid in their lap, enduring kicking, squirming, screaming, hissy fits, tossing toys, spitting up...what on earth were you thinking in taking a child who can't sit still for one hour much less a multiple-hour flight and thinking they will sit quietly? Are you insane? You must be for complaining.

Geez, if I had my way, there would be full-adult fare charged for each kid flying, have them strapped in tightly in their own seat, with their own "family area" of the plane so not as to bother the rest of the passengers. Barring that, I'd ban ALL kids until they were at least 12.

AUTHOR: Bouchacs - (U.S.A.)

To add insult to injury, I just received my credit card statement (a USAirways credit card, no less) and they charged us TWICE for the $437.80 infant lap fare! Unbelievable!