Complaint Review: USPS

• Updated: Tue, January 08, 2013

• Reported By: Yin Han Matthew — Boston Massachusetts United States of America
USPS
USPS Domestic Claims, PO Box 80143 St Louis, Montana United States of America

USPS Claim department Unreason denial on my insurance claim and poor customer services St Louis, Montana

I had a ridiculous insurance claim process with the USPS claim department.

It was back in 10/05/2012, I shipped a semi hollow body and a full hollow body guitars to a company called Distinctive guitar for trade in for credit. I carefully packed the guitars with a box with bubble wrap outside the hard case of the guitar. Both guitars were delivered on 15/10/2012, and the semi hollow body guitar was severely damaged, there is a big cracks across the top of the body and the guitar is no longer functioning and its value of course didn't hold. It will took a huge amount of money to get it repaired and the store suggested me to start a claim against usps.

So I filed the claim (Article Number VI701272208US) at the same day as the store received the guitar and discovered the problem. I started the claim online, I uploaded the pics of the guitar before and after it got damaged and the paypal receipt that I paid for the guitar a year ago to show the value of the guitar which is $2500.

Then, I waited until late Oct 2012, my receiver (Erik miller, a staff in that company) told me the investigator from usps came but he wasn't in the store at that time and so he missed it. Then the investigator never showed up and nothing heard from USPS since then. Then my receiver brought the guitar to USPS to submit the damage guitar along with the packaging materials to them for investigation. The people who worked at the post office ( Bayview, WI, 53207 ) took the guitar without saying anything or giving anything receipt to my buyer. My receiver  told me no one knows what they are supposed to do. My receiver also mentioned they threw away the packaging materials by the time they received the guitar and my buyer tried to stop them by failed to do so. The packaging materials was damaged too.

I waited until 14/11/2012, I receive a denial on my online claim tracking, saying time limit exceed. I didn't receive any letter or phone call from the claim department during that time. That's why I was so frustrated and called them. They said I didn't have sufficient documents to prove the value of the article. I was shocked, since I uploaded the paypal invoice to my online claim form. They said you have to mail more info (e.g. my bank transaction history) to show I had paid that amount for it. I sent them as I was told.

After that, I waited for another month, while I called couple of times, every time I got different answers from either account help desk or claim department people. Some said "you need to wait, the claim is still under process", and some said "we haven't received any damage report from the post office yet"
That's why I told my buyer, he must get a receipt proving we had already submitted the items. He tried so hard to get a official documents from that office. He finally get the form 3831 issued by K. Jeffery SCS working in the Bayview, WI 53207. The description for my guitar was "Guitar in case; Guitar with cracks and hole". After we got the receipt issued from the post office, I called the post office to check if they have issued a damage report. They had my items for a month in their office before they issued us a receipt and they didn't do anything during that month. I finally able to reach K jeffery SCS, she was always on vacation and hardly can reach her. I asked her about the damage report, her response was very rude and I didn't get a serious answer at all. She said "yes I have sent it, how many times you want me to say yes until you stop asking?", she just hanged up the phone after that.

I waited until the week before christmas, I still heard nothing from the claim status. I called and reach Maurice in the claim department. I explained the situation to him and he said he will take care of it and he said the claim department need a receipt between me and distinctive guitar and the damage report was still missing. I explained to him, since there's no money involved between me and the company, I didn't have the receipt and for the damage report, I had the receipt issued from that post office, I already submitted the items, you better contact them to follow up, as I am so fed up with that K Jeffery. He said he will take care of the damage report and I will need to fax the receipt to his number 314-436-4904.

After christmas holiday, I was able to contact Joshua Wright, the owner of the distinctive guitar and issued my a official receipt from him stating our agreed valued of the guitar and he faxed it to that number. I called afterwards to follow up and the accounting help desk people replied they received the receipt but they still missing the damage report. I kept calling to reach Maurice in the claim department after that until 8/1/2013, I never receive a phone call from him and any call from the claim department.

On 8/2/2013, I called again, they said my claim was denied and the reason was "damage report said you packaging materials was intact and we can't complete your claim, you can get back your items if you wish." That was ridiculous, they throw the ball back to me and blame it was my fault. I submitted my 2nd and last appeal again with the pics I took before I shipped the guitar.

Apparently, the damage report was wrongly filled and I don't know what to do. I am so frustrated and angry with their service.

If anyone could help, please. I am more than hopeless now.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/08/2013 08:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/USPS/St-Louis-Montana-63180/USPS-Claim-department-Unreason-denial-on-my-insurance-claim-and-poor-customer-services-S-993676. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on USPS