Complaint Review: USXpress Enterprises

• Reported By:Oakland California
USXpress Enterprises
Chattanooga, Tennessee U.S.A.

USXpress Enterprises Stranded in the Middle of Nowhere Chattanooga Tennessee

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: So how many of you....

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Left due to hometime occurance

*UPDATE Employee: I would like to know the real reason

*Consumer Suggestion: If you like it at USX, then lady, you keep right on truckin'

*UPDATE Employee: Full of It

*Consumer Suggestion: 10-4 you guys!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Bump & Grind. Protect your CDL at all costs. Nobody else will and that is your meal ticket

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Amen... take on the overall situation is accurate

*Author of original report: More on Stranded by USXpress

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Working for Idiot Xpress? What do you expect? You were the smartest one in the whole company!

To be fair, I was issued a Greyhound bus authorization number for a ride to the nearest terminal. Problem though, in that there was no bus stop where I was kicked off the truck, no means to get me and my considerable gear to whatever bustop might be closest, no means to get me and my gear from the Greyhound bus terminal to the company yard, and no way to get all my gear on a Greyhound bus in any case.

Considering myself terminated, I loaded up my gear and drove home, not entirely saddened at leaving the company for they are indeed an arrogant, cupidious, and malicious group of people in my opinion.

Two weeks after returning home I received a letter from USXpress stating that since I'd terminated employment without notice they were unable to square settlements per "signed waiver" and owed them $98, which I hope they try to collect through legal recourse since I signed no such waiver.

The waiver? It's something new recruits are asked (pressured) to sign stating that the recruit hereby authorizes USXpress to deduct from wages just about any expenses incurred in the course of duty, including blown tires, out of route miles, fines for getting parking tickets--just about anything they could not get away with legally without that waiver.

The reason for kicking me off the truck?

I talked back. After 1.1 million miles of excellent on-time duty I know a bit about this 48-state long haul business. I must say it's my impression that USXpress western operations is barely competent in the business but accomplished at hammering drivers for managment errors along with not too subtle ploys to avoid fulfilling their part of the agreed pay package.

Do I regret talking back? Not in the least. I demand a lot of myself on the job and expect operations to do likewise. USXpress operation's sensitivity to critisism is their problem, not mine.

I do have reason to fear further retribution from this company for posting this message. Therefore the name given is assumed, although the email address supplied to the host of this page is real. I can prove each and every allegation made.

Oakland, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/27/2004 06:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/USXpress-Enterprises/Chattanooga-Tennessee/USXpress-Enterprises-Stranded-in-the-Middle-of-Nowhere-Chattanooga-Tennessee-110431. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on USXpress Enterprises

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

So how many of you....

AUTHOR: Handsomepete - (U.S.A.)

happy pro-USX drivers have been hauled into the terminal yet and given the option to lease, team or leave?

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Left due to hometime occurance

AUTHOR: Johnathan - (U.S.A.)

I have never been kicked off a truck,but I started looking for a different employer when USX couldn't get me home on time.I'd stay out for 3 weeks at a time for 3 days home.But,when you are out for 4 weeks,and the guy at the window at the terminal in Colton,CA.tells you that my hometime is not important,and I live in Connecticut,there is a problem.

I couldn't beleive this guy told me this.I have only been driving for 3 years,and I finally woke up when this occurred.

I now drive for Frito Lay,and I tell you it is a bit different driving for a snackfood company,I get paid for every thing I do.I stop the truck to do an inspection after driving within 50 miles,and get paid $4.00 to inspect it,plus the $0.45 cents per mile,then drive 150 miles and stop and get paid to inspect the truck again,plus the miles.They pay us $0.08 cents for every case.I only work 4-5 days a week and my gross is over $1500.00/week.Incredible
If anyone has a bad comment about USX,come drive for Frito Lay.
Home every night and if you layover somewhere,they would rather you stay in a hotel,than in a truck.No cash out of pocket,they pay for it with the company credit card.

I would like to know the real reason

AUTHOR: Floyd - (U.S.A.)

you said
"USXpress deliberately and with malice kicked me off the truck 900 miles from home, 300 miles from the nearest terminal, after 1.5 years of 100% on-time service, no citations, and no chargeable accidents--much of that service in the Northeast."

I would like to know the real reason you were kicked off the truck. talking back is
not a reason. Drivers talk beck all the time.

you said
"I finally paid a local citizen $200 out of my own pocket to transport me and my gear to the company terminal and my personal half-ton, which I had been ordered to remove from company property."
They (USX) do not have to get you to a bus station to get you home and as you didn't work for USX they had every right to make you get YOUR truck off company property.

you said
"Two weeks after returning home I received a letter from USXpress stating that since I'd terminated employment without notice they were unable to square settlements per "signed waiver" and owed them $98," in your other Rip Off Report
you said $75 if you are going to file more than one you need to keep your story the same on all of them.

Paul did have a good one with "Were you team? Because how could someone kick you out if you were the only one in the tractor?" you have to do a lot more than just talk back for that to happen and i have never seen them kick someone out of a truck,
they always send you to a term and then kick you out.

you said
"In the case of USXpress, and likely other large comapanies as well, they will never
fire you." so if they will never fire you and how did they kick you out of the truck...?

you said
"It can be a very rough life for a beginner-either run illegally not fully aware of the potential consequences or take the hammer from operations." you know in all the time I have worked for USX I have only run illegally 1 time and that was 1.25hr over and that was bobtail to get home for hometime as a solo I was was always getting 3400+ ml a week and as a team we get 6800+ a week and never run illegally.

Paul

you said
"Here's my deal. Runnin' solo. Just coming back from home time. Home terminal is Ontario, Ca. I did a few locals. Then, dispatch sends me team load. LA to Dallas. It's 1400 miles. Delivers in 26 hours. It's a team load. Dispatch says that I'm the only truck in LA to run this." This is your own falt and yes this happened to me when I was a solo also but what you should have done was pick up the load and then tell them when and ware your 11hr would run out so thy could set up a repower.

you said
"So, I say sure, no problem. I did 1400 before. I pick up and run it.I'm an hour early. Zero problems with this run." so you broke the law before.?

you said
"Three days later I did Clorox load. Not the bleach. Those damn wipes they have out now. Damaged case. Three, I think. They note it on the bills and I leave.I'm so busy that I don't have time to call in until 2 or 3 days later."
now you know that you are to call clames before you leave not wait 2-3 days and you can not be to busy to call it in as you don't have your next load until you send in mac8 and you are to call clames before you send mac8.

you said
"I was a good driver there. Ran hard. Made lots of deliveries. Their screwup was sending me a team load. I didn't ask for it. I didn't want it." driving is alot more than just running hard and making lots of deliveries. you are paid to do a job and you were mot doing it the way they wanted you to.

you said
"The problem is that Freightliner hands out their trucks like playing cards." I don't see
Freightliner handing out $125,000 trucks, I do see people buying them.

you said
"The people running Idiot Xpress really don't understand business. They get in over their heads. Chattanooga fools with a fifth grade education. Not even smart enough to spell truck. Yet, here they are, with 5000 of them!" You are right they don't understand business at all that is way they only made $1,000,000.000.00 last year add that up. as for spelling the ad co. should be doing that. and by the way get your numbers right thats 6400 trucks and 17,000 trailers.

you also said
" Took U-haul back to Ontario terminal." USX does not now and never has had a terminal in Ontario, Ca.

you said
"Judging by how angry you are at the world, the rest of us are much better off
with you in a truck anyway." the only person I see as ANGRY is you and I don't see why but you are like most kids today that think that you sould
not play by the rules and if they find out what you are doing wrong that it is not your falt.
you want to blame other for that YOU DID

you said
"Accident occurred while parked sleeping in the staging area of a Tracy, California,
Obtained all the information needed from the other driver, then went on in to deliver the load."
wrong

you said
"Called in an accident report to claims as required at the first truck stop available,
about three hours after the accident." wrong

you said
"At next home time I found a letter from USXpress stating that the accident was non-preventable. Also received a second letter from USXpress stating that I was on six-months' probation for failing to report the accident immediately, even though I had done exactly that." non-preventable was right and six-months' probation for
failing to report the accident immediately was right also. you and I and everyone reading
this can see that you didn't report it immediately you waited 3hr after you were unloaded
to call in, what no phone at consignee.? that would be a first.

you said
"Thus it was that I got six months' probation for a non-preventable accident. Never did appeal;
still pondering the matter when they stranded me out in the boondocks."

Now you and I both know the how you should do things at USX and if you don't do it the way you should then you have no one to blame but yourself.

And Paul you realy need to make up your mind first you say "I don't see my self driving again.
the nonsense." and then you say "Who knows, I might run regional if someone offers me a job.
guys out there one day soon." please make up your mind and if you are going to post all over the
USX & SWIFT pages try to keep your story the same.

and to Elaine you put it very will

#4 Consumer Suggestion

If you like it at USX, then lady, you keep right on truckin'

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

Cause you can have all my loads and all my miles. Be my guest!

I want more out of my life than 4100 miles a week. And, I got tired of every meal being a buffet to go from the Petro. Forcing myself to wake up after 4 hours of sleep. Never any time to relax or watch TV.

No, thanks!

You want that, be my guest!

You like it at USX? Great! You stay as long as you like!

Judging by how angry you are at the world, the rest of us are much better off with you in a truck anyway.

Full of It

AUTHOR: Elaine - (U.S.A.)

First of all there is no US Xpress terminal in Ontario California and never has been. There IS a US Xpress terminal in Colton, California.

In over 5 years of service with US Xpress I have NEVER been asked to run illegal. Never been asked to run unsafe. Never been told to run when I said roads were bad, etc.

Usually when people get fired it's for a good reason. Any solo driver who would run a team load alone and think they did a good job doesn't deserve their CDL!

#6 Consumer Suggestion

10-4 you guys!

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

Glad to hear you're in a good company Glen! Hope you find one too, James. Wal-mart is pretty good, I hear. Hard to get into, though.

I almost bought one of their little cab-overs. But, then I checked around and found out that leases would only pay me 86. Glad I didn't buy, fuel is crazy now!

Sometimes, I think about OTR again. I had a lot of good times. I ran nights a lot. Runnin' through Nebraska on 80, or Kansas on 70. You got the whole road to yourself at night. Full moon out, hammer down. Miles go quick.

But, it's also hard too. Nine to five people don't understand the job. Saturday night, guys are out with their wives and girlfriends, having a good time. I'm on the 84, heading up to Portland. Guys with families at home, but they still have another week before home time is due. It's hard when your whole life is the truck and the loads.

Anybody who can do a million, two million has got what it takes to handle anything.

Who knows, I might run regional if someone offers me a job. I'm right on the 5 corridor. I been up to Seattle plenty of times. So, maybe I'll see you guys out there one day soon.

Good luck, gentlemen!

#7 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

Paul asked a relevant question. The answer might be of interest to any seeking long-haul employment for the first time.

The question: How can they kick you off the truck if you are a solo driver?

Very easily. They merely send a message from dispatch stating that you must vacate the truck where it sits--remove all your personal gear, clean it up inside, and leave the key hanging here or there within the engine compartment. They quite likely will sign you off that truck immediately therafter, meaning that if you move the truck they can call the cops and report it stolen.

This is the threat they hold over new drivers who are unprepared or unable to afford to be kicked off the truck 2,000 miles from home. It's no coinicidence that the large companies like to send drivers who live on the west coast to the eastern seabord to work up and down I95, I81, and so on. The reverse is true for those who live on the east coast.

Paul was right to state earlier that a driver needs to carry enough cash to get him or herself and all the personal gear home from anywhere in the U.S. or Canada on short notice.

Without that you are at their mercy. They will not ask you to do anything illegal. They are prevented by federal law from doing that. But they will give you driving jobs that cannot possibly be done within legal hours. They will have you doing local deliveries at cents-per-mile rather than local hourly rates. They will get mad if you show those local hours on your log.

They will never retaliate against you for refusing to do something because you don't have the hours. Federal law prevents them from doing that. But you will find yourself doing short hauls with long waits for loading and unloading if you deny them.

In the case of USXpress, and likely other large comapanies as well, they will never fire you. To do that might make them responsible for your unemployment benefits. But they can and will make your life as miserable and unprofitable as possible if you take a stand against their excesses.

They will spend millions annually on safety programs and can "prove" to any investigator that they are doing their level best to keep drivers and other road users "safe." But it's mostly persiflage, window-dressing to protect the bottom line insurance-wise.

It's the Operations Department that is your boss, not the safety department. Operations means dispatchers whose experience in trucking may be minimal but whose professional future depends on getting you to drive more than is good for your health and welfare. They will lie to you outright if they can get away with it. They will bank on your ignorance of the business to manipulate you right out of needed sleep time, showers, and food.

It can be a very rough life for a beginner--either run illegally not fully aware of the potential consequences or take the hammer from operations. It's my opinion, based on 1.1 million miles of on-time driving, that new drivers go one of three ways: 1) They eventually wreck the truck. 2) They get out before they wreck the truck. 3) They learn how to play the game to guard their own safety and financial interests.

Let me say as a caveat that I'm speaking to the worst aspects of the business and the most ruthless management operators within the business.
There are good dispatchers within bad comapanies, just as there are bad dispatchers within good companies. Some companies, and I believe USXpress is one of them, are absolutely ruthless toward drivers from policy level on down, though I must say they are polite about it for the most part.

But it is a worthwhile life if you can manage to stick it out long enough to learn how to protect yourself and to find a comfortable home within a good company, and there are good companies out there.

My advice? Protect your CDL at all costs. Nobody else will and that is your meal ticket. Second, never let them see you sweat. Once you have marketable experience, after say maybe two years, you can begin to pick and choose your spots, perhaps go independant if you've good enough business sense.

But do not expect the loyalty these large companies demand to be returned in kind, or, in some cases, even recognized.

Paul, good luck to you whatever you choose to do.
You seem like a bright guy with a good heart.

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Amen... take on the overall situation is accurate

AUTHOR: Glen - (U.S.A.)

Paul's take on the overall situation is accurate. The big companies do indeed pin their profit margins on driver turnover, depending on driver ignorance, but also increasing both the dangers and the inefficiency of operations.

But not all are that way. I have in fact found employment with a company much older than any of the current biggies. It is much more knowledgeable about the business, much more willing to pay for experience.

Not only got a raise in pay in the changeover, got a $2,000 sign-on bonus as well.

Every negative is an opportunity, in my opinion. This experience with USXpress turned out well for me. Will not mention the name of my new employer lest someone inadvertently think poorly of the company for being on this website.

Good luck to you, Paul.

#9 Consumer Suggestion

James, in the end, you win. You don't have to put up with usx anymore.

Without drivers, how do they intend to make any deliveries? Their trucks are all auto-shift. Perhaps, they plan on making them auto-drive too.

X marks the spot? Desperate messages in industry magazines.

Just like many of the frauds listed in these pages, all USX can hope for is a stream of new drivers who have no idea what they are in for.

Personally, I think it's funny that the industry has to spend 20 cents out of every dollar profit just trying to keep the trucks rolling.

Common sense would tell you it would be much cheaper in the long run to keep the drivers instead of the constant turnover.

I don't see my self driving again. Let them offer $1 a mile to company drivers, for all I care. I refuse to get sucked into all the nonsense.

But, there will always be someone who will. That means the things I require will always get delivered.

Whether USX delivers my stuff, or some other carrier does, it makes no difference to me.

#10 Consumer Suggestion

#11 Consumer Suggestion

#12 Consumer Suggestion

More on Stranded by USXpress

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

I think the following incident will shed some light on just how inept and malicious USXpress really is at the administrative level. I can prove all of it.

Accident occurred while parked sleeping in the staging area of a Tracy, California, consignee. Another driver backed his trailer into the left fender of my Century. No biggy; truck was still drivable, headlights and signals still worked. Sent satcom message immediately to both dispatch and the breakdown department as required. Obtained all the information needed from the other driver, then went on in to deliver the load.

Called in an accident report to claims as required at the first truck stop available, about three hours after the accident.

When I called the safety department about the probabtion I was told by the young lady on the phone that I should have called in immediately. When I told her that there were more important matters at hand, like delivering the load first, she said I could file an appeal.

When I objected to that, and to the necessity for any of this, she wanted to know why "you guys are making this so difficult." I thought I exercised great restraint by wishing her good morning and hanging up.

Thus it was that I got six months' probation for a non-preventable accident. Never did appeal; still pondering the matter when they stranded me out in the boondocks.

Methinks USXpress needs a better connection to Planet Earth.

#14 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Dude, same thing here.

So, I say sure, no problem. I did 1400 before. I pick up and run it. I'm an hour early. Zero problems with this run.

I'm so busy that I don't have time to call in until 2 or 3 days later.

Finally, I get a spare hour. I call claims. Tell them about Clorox damage claim.

They ask, why are you calling now? This happened 3 days ago. Why didn't you call in then?

I say busy as hell. First, I had this team load. Then, driving all night to get to a swap from a broken down tractor. They had the trailer way back in a field at the edge of Kansas. Then, hot load that had to be there.

Bottom line, I say, is that I've been so busy I didn't even have time to piss, much less call in this claim. This is the first chance I had to stop and get my papers together.

This was the wrong thing to say. The claims guy goes: team load, why were you on a team load?

I say fuck if I know. They sent it. I ran it.

Twenty minutes later, I'm out in my truck. I'm under a Rubbermaid load. Heading to Arizona.

I get a message to bring my truck in for "service". I know it's bullshit, because I just did service.

No problem. They want their shit back? They can have it. I run right down to the OKC terminal. It's I/40 exit 140, if I remember correctly. I get to 137 and get off. Go up to dump motel. Drop trailer. Pay for 1 night. Back up Century. Unload all my shit. Hook back to trailer. Run 3 miles into yard. Drop trailer. Park tractor. Bills into office. Keys, too. Adios, motherfuckers!

Ride from driver back to motel. Took U-haul back to Ontario terminal. My car is still there. Transferred my trash. Went home, laughing all the way.

Once I'm home, I call Idiot Xpress. They say I'm suspended for accepting a team load. I'm laughing at these fools on the phone. So stupid.

Funniest part. These jackasses actually think I'm gonna go back! Fools, every day of their lives!

I did make money there. I got all I had due. Plus, they gave me $160 for a bus from OKC. So, I didn't lose any money.

I call the place Idiot Xpress. I didn't go back because I always felt that they were beneath me. I always had to straighten these jackasses out. I didn't have time for that.

The whole trucking industry is like that. Idiots with trucks. Most of the drivers have 5 times more sense than anyone running the actual company. The problem is that Freightliner hands out their trucks like playing cards. The people running Idiot Xpress really don't understand business. They get in over their heads. Chattanooga fools with a fifth grade education. Not even smart enough to spell truck. Yet, here they are, with 5000 of them!

The lesson is always have $1000 in your pocket. Breakdown? Kicked out? Abandoned? No problem. Your shit goes in the nearest motel. Nearest rental car or truck gets you back home.

When you are working with idiots, you always need to be prepared for their screw-ups.

Good luck, James!