Complaint Review: Ugly Duckling Car Sales

• Submitted: Sat, March 16, 2002
  • Updated: Tue, July 29, 2008

• Reported By:Thonotosassa Fl
Ugly Duckling Car Sales
7501 Dale Mabry Hwy N. Tampa, Florida U.S.A.

Ugly Duckling Car Sales ripoff car sales abused & mistreated victimized many consumers Tampa Florida

*Consumer Suggestion: cooling off periods

*Consumer Comment: No right to rescission

*Consumer Suggestion: For future reference

*0: Ugly Duckling changes name??

*Consumer Comment: happy customer

*0:

I knew that my credit was not the best but wanted to get my car without a co-signer, so I went to Ugly Duckling. I stated to them that I needed a reliable car due to the fact that I was pregnant and needed good transportation.

I test drove the car I wanted and we discussed paperwork, I left with a 91 Honda Accord, the next morning I got in the car to go to work not even 24 hours after having the car and it wouldn't start.

I called Ugly Duckling and told them what happened and they wanted me to pay to have a tow truck pick up the car so they could check it out. I told them I wasn't paying for anything I had the car less than 24 hours and something had already gone wrong with it then they could have it back and give me back my trade. That should have been a sign not to go through with the process.

Anyway, they repaired the car, but little did I know that I would later spend over $3000.00 dollars on repairs for this car within a 2 year period. For the cost of the car and all the repairs I could have gotten a brand new car.I have kept all my receipts on everthing I have had to do to my car, I am totally displeased with them and have let all my friends & family know not to go there for a car, I know atleast 6 people that have bought cars from this company and we have all experienced the same problems with Ugly Duckling.

This company should be closed down for what they due to people just because they feel they have the right to walk over people with less than perfect credit. Don't let this happen to your friends and family.

Kim
Tampa, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/16/2002 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ugly-Duckling-Car-Sales/Tampa-Florida/Ugly-Duckling-Car-Sales-ripoff-car-sales-abused-mistreated-victimized-many-consumers-Tam-16911. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ugly Duckling Car Sales

#1 Consumer Suggestion

cooling off periods

AUTHOR: Paulfmpensacola - (U.S.A.)

If a particular dealership offers a "cooling off" period or not would be disclosed in the contract, it is not required by Law in any state for a used car, however there is "fitness of sale" which means the amount paid, is a reasonable amount paid for the item in the condition it was in, you would have to take the dealership to small claims court, to show that price paid, was not "fair market value" for a "vehicle that had significant" problems.

Responsibility to disclose is on the dealership, but somethings are not readily known, then the responsibility shifts to the buyer, but the car should still be priced correctly. most dealerships when faced with these types of lawsuits will work with the consumer, because if you request a jury trial, it is more likely the jury will side with a consumer, than with the "big dealership". But keep in mind responsibility for your actions are what led you to them, if you were not desperate, then you would have gone else where, but your actions got you there.

BE wise, check things out, and never make a decision in 10minutes that is going to take you 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 years to pay off. NO deal is so fleeting that you have to act NOW. don't be emotional, shop around, ask questions, take someone more knowledgeable with you otherwise, you could be a potential victim, based on the conditions you created.

No right to rescission

AUTHOR: Krista - (U.S.A.)

I work for an auto loan company... There are no "cooling off periods" for auto loans in any state.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

For future reference

AUTHOR: Robin - (U.S.A.)

In the state of Florida, ALL purchases over fifty dollars can be cancelled by you within 72 hours for any reason whatsoever. As far as I know, vehicle purchases are not exempted.

You do have to return the merchandise, so you would have had to have the vehicle towed in. They must return your trade, your down payment, and they must cancel your contract. They may try to stall to get you past the 72 hour period so quick action and also contacting an attorney would be prudent.

#4 0

Ugly Duckling changes name??

AUTHOR: - ()

Why the name change is it because they have a class action law suit out on the name Ugly Duckling so they decided to change the name to Drive Time, they are still the same company selling to lemons, and telling lies. Don't be fooled stay away from them they are bad news I have talked to several people and they all seem to have the same opinion huh??? I wonder why!!!

happy customer

AUTHOR: john - ()

To all of you who have nothing better to do stop knocking ugly duckling they have help me so much and i will always do buss. with them since ive bought my first car from them my credit has now allowed me to buy my first house and i signed lots of papers stated i was buying this car as-is and im sure you did also so stop saying they should have done this or done that ...to put simple you bought the car as-is and thats that if you were buying the car as-is you should have taken it to a service shop and had them look at the car first ...enough about that

..Now about you all being harrassed pay on time and they dont call ive never been late and never recieved a call matter a fact i even got my down payment back and bought my second car from ugly duckling ....turn things around if you lent someone 12,000.00 dollars and they were late you to would call and ask where is your payment

...so if you all do as you said you would when you signed the contrac they wouldnt call and harass you so i say go ugly duckling your the best and i look foward to the futhure when i buy my third car from you TWO THUMBS UP TO ALL UGLY DUCKLING EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE TO LISTEN TO THESE LATE PAYING PEPS

#6 0

AUTHOR: - ()

I have paid my car off but I will never use Ugly Duckling for anything again, By the way the name fits perfectly with their attitudes!!!