Complaint Review: Uhaul, Minneapolis

• Reported By: Dimitri — Minneapolis Minnesota
Uhaul, Minneapolis
3545 Nicollet Ave Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Uhaul, Minneapolis Bait and switch Minneapolis Minnesota

Classic bait-and-switch. Got an online rate for 2 days that was very good (about $60, plus insurance/mileage which got total to about $80). Clicked on the message saying that the request was subject to availability. Then got my confirmation email, which had no language about "subject to availability". Most reasonable people would assume that an email that reads "Confirmation" means that availability was checked, and confirmation actually does mean confirmation. Especially since no disclaimer is in the email about potentially not really having a truck reserved.

So, I was surprised when I was called and told that I could have the truck for 1 of the 2 days, but not both. When I called U-Haul, I was told that yes, there were no 2 day rentals available in Minneapolis those days. But, using a different pricing program, I could get a truck for 2 days for the price of 149.00 (about double what I was quoted online). Strange that truck availability is linked to pricing...

I'm going with another company, who was able to tell me in one call what the price was, yes there was a truck available, and gave me a better deal than the 2nd Uhaul price (149). Frankly, the first price (59.00 plus insurance/mileage fees) was so much better than either the second price (149) or the other companies price (139) that I suspect it's not really a price-- it's something to quote people and get them to stop looking elsewhere, and then Uhaul can call them with the "surprise" that there is no availability. But, using a different pricing plan we do have a truck available...

Classy.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/10/2013 12:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Uhaul-Minneapolis/Minneapolis-Minnesota-55408/Uhaul-Minneapolis-Bait-and-switch-Minneapolis-Minnesota-1057951. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Uhaul, Minneapolis