Complaint Review: Ultimate Medical Academy - UMA

• Updated: Sat, September 29, 2012

• Reported By:Land O Lakes Florida
Ultimate Medical Academy - UMA
Court St Clearwater, Florida United States of America

Ultimate Medical Academy Scam Review | Complaints REVIEW: Ultimate Medical Academys commitment to total student satisfaction. UMA works hard to develop a sense of community in their students so they will want to give back, and they also support many health-related organizations, including nonprofits.
*UPDATE: Ultimate Medical Academy pledges their commitment to Rip-off Report Corporate Advocacy, Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction Program. A program that benefits the consumer, assures them of complete satisfaction and confidence when doing business with a member business. Ultimate Medical Academy is recognized by Rip-off Report as a Verified Safe business. Nationwide, Tampa Florida

*General Comment: can't believe some of the stuff i see hear

*Consumer Comment: I agree

* : Complaints

* : Don't Be Fooled

*UPDATE Employee: Response

*Author of original report: Update!

SPECIAL UPDATE: September 29 2012: Ultimate Medical Academy remains committed to increased customer satisfaction and has improved their business practices over the years to better serve their customers. Ultimate Medical Academy is truly dedicated to making sure their customers are satisfied and that any complaints which do arise are addressed promptly and fairly.

To date, Ultimate Medical Academy has made good faith efforts to resolve all complaints reported on Rip-off Report. Based on our experience, the member business has proven to be among the top members of the Rip-off Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction Program as a Verified Safe Business.

Over time and since becoming a member, Ultimate Medical Academy has remained actively engaged and improving the way they address customer service complaints. As an active and current member of the Rip-off Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction Program we are happy to report that now more than ever Ultimate Medical Academy remains committed to improving customer satisfaction.

Remember, no company or individual can ever satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. There are no products or services that will always be perfect for everyone and even the best companies will receive complaints from time to time. However, by participating in the Corporate Advocacy Program, the member business has made a commitment to working with its customers to resolve complaints quickly and fairly whenever possible.

Please keep in mind that as a consumer you have some responsibilities as well. Success has many definitions that based on your past experiences, current situation and your perceived expectations. Success with any product or service is always based on the proper application and understanding. The fastest car will not run if you never turn the engine on. Look at how you used the product or service that was provided in relation with the instructions that you received. The Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation and Customer Satisfaction Program will help you get your voice heard but please be prepared with documentation and fair representation of your concern, also have an idea of how the company can fix your concern. Can they offer additional services, extend warranties, offer a fair refund or just get you talking with someone that can help. ..let them know and let us know!

*Any consumer not receiving satisfaction from a member of the Corporate Advocacy Program should email us at editor@ripoffreport.com
 Ultimate Medical Academy is Rip-off Report Verified

Rip-off Report REVIEW:

Editors UPDATE: Positive Rating and Recognition has been given to Ultimate Medical Academy for its Commitment to Excellence in customer service.

Ripoff Reports review of Ultimate Medical Academy has revealed an amazing commitment to student satisfaction and educational quality which underlies all their operations. As recently as this year, 93% of UMAs students said they were satisfied with UMAs program, their instructors and also their administration. This means that students who attend Ultimate Medical Academy can expect the best service and dedication possible from the educators and the staff.

UMA executives expect every employee to listen carefully to any student concerns. UMA has successfully trained thousands of students for careers in the allied health field and their staff is always quick in their responses and they are readily available for specific needs or questions that come up. UMAs mission is to be a dynamic career school committed to empowering students to excel in the healthcare field. They strive to provide an educational experience that maximizes value to their students in a professional, supportive and ethical environment.

The students of Ultimate Medical Academy are the groundwork of UMAs outstanding reputation. UMA realizes that without successful students, they would not have the extraordinary, innovative programs they offer today. They train students for jobs in many different fields, however they also teach them the importance of community. UMA works hard to develop a sense of community in their students so they will want to give back, and they also support many health-related organizations, including nonprofits.

Anyone familiar with Ultimate Medical Academy can attest to the dedication they have to ensuring that every graduate succeeds. Says one student, UMA starts helping you find a job at the very beginning with the Think Build Live Success course. It boosts your confidence. When it comes down to the end of things, they start really digging in and helping you to write a resume, write a cover letter. They do mock interviews with you over the phone. They do the job hunting for you.

Ripoff Report can confirm that Ultimate Medical Academy takes quality control very seriously. With a recently revised internal appeal process, there are now four different levels of staff available to discuss any student concern. They have also recently restructured their student finance department in order to participate in additional grant programs which will benefit the students.

Ultimate Medical Academy understands the value of being a Ripoff Report Verified Safe Business and is delighted to have the opportunity to open its doors to a third party who can objectively state that they go out of their way to ensure student satisfaction.

In summary, after our review, Ripoff Report is convinced that Ultimate Medical Academy is committed to quality delivery of services resulting in total client satisfaction. If someone ever finds differently about our members, you contact us.. EDitor@ripoffreport.com

Read more about Ultimate Medical Academys Commitment to Excellence and Total Consumer Satisfaction and why consumers should feel safe, confident and secure when doing business with a member of Rip-off Report's Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program. ..yes, a long name for a program that does a lot for both consumers and businesses alike.

Read about Rip-off Report Corporate Advocacy Business Remediation & Customer Satisfaction Program,..A program that benefits the consumer, assures them of complete satisfaction and confidence when doing business with a member business. this program works.

===================== NOW TO THE ORIGINAL REPORT THAT WAS FILED

===================== Ultimate Medical Academy - UMA Misleading liars Clearwater Florida

These people are so misleading and will say anything to get you to attend. If you go here, please do not try to change your class.

To start, the advisers at UMA told me and SEVERAL other students that they would help with job placement. They don't. After your externship, you're on your own. Also, they were incredibly misleading about what is contained in the program and the amount of money students would be earning.

I was tricked into signing up for the Patient Care Technician program on the belief that it really involved giving medical care to the patient and would be beneficial to me for my future career. They told me that the Medical Clinical Lab Assistant program only involved sitting in the back of an office doing lab work and not working with patients. I was told that the PCT program was everything I wanted and more, and MCLA wasn't the program for me.

The PCT program is the exact same classroom material for MCLA except PCT gets a CNA class at the end. I was in a class with about 20 other students enrolled in the MCLA program.

After seeing what they did, I saw that MCLA was much more than working in the back in a lab. I did some outside research and found they gave me a completely untrue story to get me to sign up for the PCT program.

But why does this matter, you ask? The PCT program was $2,000 more than the MCLA program.

So after finding this out, which only took a few weeks after I started (back in May), I decide to switch. I'm almost finished with my externship, and they still don't have it straightened out. They're billing me for outrageous amounts and harrassing me. The campus president promised it would be fixed and it isn't. I've been down in peoples offices every weekday for 5 months now. Why is it so difficult? Is it really so painful to refund $2,000?

Now I won't be receiving my certificate of completion because they insist that I'm not up to date on my payments. Why am I not up to date? The head of financial aid told me to stop making payments because the difference in cost of the programs would wipe out the balance I owed to the school (of $800).

Going back to the completely misleading point.. They told my friend that was originally an x-ray student that businesses start hiring at $16 an hour in our area for the position. Come to find out, it's only $12. Same thing happened to all of us in MCLA/PCT. They promised $14+ an hour.. Now we find it's only about $10.50.

So, I learned the lesson to not trust advisers that work for the school and do my own outside research. I went in wanting to just take a simple CNA class, and they managed to talk me up from a $1,000 class to a $13,000 class. I was duped into believing they actually knew what they were talking about, and now I'm screwed.

If you go to UMA, be sure to RESEARCH the positions before you sign up. Don't trust the advisers at the Clearwater campus.

In my class alone, EVERY student was completely misinformed on job information, description, and income. Of course I know that these are different with each company, but they were way out of the ballpark. They could give a generalization when you sign up.. such as "Incomes vary greatly. You could be making $10.50-$14.00 depending on where you work and what you're doing." Or even down to the tasks.. "Well some companies will require you to work in a lab, while others allow you to work one on one with the patient doing (insert good stuff here)."

I'm not really complaining about getting screwed, just trying to warn other people. Also, if they tell you not to make payments.. just keep making them because now I'm not even going to get my certificate saying I completed the course.

Missa Land O Lakes, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/11/2008 09:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ultimate-Medical-Academy-UMA/Clearwater-Florida/Ultimate-Medical-Academy-Scam-Review-Complaints-REVIEW-Ultimate-Medical-Academys-commit-390031. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ultimate Medical Academy - UMA

#1 General Comment

can't believe some of the stuff i see hear

AUTHOR: no time for mess1 - (United States of America)

well to the employee to the school, i am not suprised by what you say, you work there, even if i did i would tell the truth. it just works better. i am thinking about going to this school, i have done the application, but still not sure if i really want to go there. i have been to school before, and most are like your school but you just have to have a shovel handy to keep up with what you hear. i believe you said to much as if you have lost your mind.  you went on and on about people and their personal lives which has nothing to do with you. you have no clue why these people are not in "regular college" sometimes you need to be in school for what job you want, not other stuff. the schools need to change. sometimes things in your life are not your doing remember that. and sometimes they happen to be your fault but it is how you deal with it. listen i have done both i have gone to regular college, and i have done vocational college both were no help, i am not working in either field.

well look at most people who have gone to school, they are not working in their fields, that is the way of life now. but lets just make sure we all know that the advisors say so much and promise so much when we know most of it is not true, i have heard it before. and yes the school is too high and expensive, i will not waste any more money on school and not be working in my field. so the best advise to anyone wanting to go to school please look around and find your fit.

I agree

AUTHOR: L_2005 - (United States of America)

I attened classes online there for medical billing and coding. I too was informed that the pay rate in my area was 16.00 an hour and after a few years of experience in the field I would make 23.00-25.00 dollars per hour. Which I know is not true! They also told me several times that they have a department there that finds you a job a few weeks before you complete your course. I was told that someone from that department would contact me the first few days of attening the classes. Well it's been 4 1/2 months and NEVER once have I been contacted by anyone from that so called department. I have asked about it several times and all they say is "Really? I'm not sure why they haven't contacted you yet. That's odd they are usually pretty good at contacting every student. Let me put a note in for them to contact you." Still to this day I havent had any contact with anyone from that department. I've asked other classmates if they have, and every one of them has informed me that they haven't been contacted either and has questioned it but felt as if they was getting the run around. Basicly I think they don't even have a department that does job placements or anything of the kind.
  So I agree, they do a lot of missleading and flat out lying to students and will say anything to get them to attend their school.

#3

Complaints

AUTHOR: Gingers39 - (USA)

I have actually been talking with admissions in Tampa for a couple of days now and I have done research on several schools in the area, as well as online schools.

The bottom line is that no matter what school you are looking, there's always going to be someone that is not satisfied and there's always going to be someone that likes to complain when they don't get their way.  That goes for every school, not just UMA.

You think UMA is bad, you should see the list of complaints for Stratford Career Institute.  They offer a GED course, but when you get through it, your diploma is no good.

There's a lot of schools out there right now, competing for us to attend, so some will do and say anything to get us there.  You have to know the right questions to ask them and research every little detail.   They must of done a lot of tricking for you to take a class that you didn't want, to begin with.   Maybe you just aren't good at saying "NO"...

They never told me that they have a job placement program, they told me that they would assist me with my resume and interviews.  There are some that do offer career placement, but you have to pay extra for that.

But I believe that this is something that should be taken seriously by all..do your homework/research on the school or schools you are interested in and know what questions to ask, such as do they have career placement or for a particular class, if you get into it and you don't like it, do you have the option to switch classes?  This is a big step and should take a lot of research before you sign on the dotted line.

Also not every admissions counselor you speak to is going to be the same, I just happen to get one that's been honest and up front with me about everything and has an open door for me any time I need anything.

#4

Don't Be Fooled

AUTHOR: Wil - (USA)

Let me just correct a bit of misinformation fed by the lady who is the employee from the school. This is exactly the kind of used-car-salesmen speak that gives vocational schools such a bad name.

She claims the reason they charge $14,000 grand for their PCT course is because a PCT is so much better than a CNA. A word of warning to the unsuspecting - in most cases a PCT just getting out of a tech school with that $14,000 debt is going to wind up working in a nursing home for $9 an hour as a CNA. In MOST cases hospitals will NOT HIRE without experience, it doesn't matter what your diploma or certificate says. And in the eyes of employers, a PCT without experience is just someone without experience who they WILL NOT hire.

You do NOT need to take out a $14,000 loan to become a PCT. You can work for a year as a CNA, apply to hospitals, and THEY will PROVIDe you with the necessary on-the-job training. Please, please, don't be suckered into the kind of lies these tech schools tell you in order to get your money.

Response

AUTHOR: Alias - (U.S.A.)

First and foremost, let me clear the air w/ "Missa" on the PCT/MCLA programs. PCT is actually cheaper than the Medical Asst course - the Medical Asst course is $14,650 and the PCT course is $14,150. So the idea that you believe an admissions rep would try to "sell" you on the more expensive program is false. Secondly, if you were to come into any UMA school asking for nursing asst (b/c somehow you falsely believe that this is the golden paved road to the "nursing" field), I would tell you the course is only 5 weeks and there is no finanicial aid for this program (that's the gov't, not the school's doing) so start shelling out $1300 dollars and by the way, no one hires Nursing Assistants unless they're certified, so be prepared to take the $140 test afterwards and then once you are a CNA, you can look forward to working for NURSING HOMES for $9 an hour. Who wants that??? When yes, it takes more time and money to be a PCT than a Nursing Asst, but the students learn SO much more, earn more, and then can work for hospitals. And fyi - the gov't offers financial aid for PCT program.

Now, for those naysayers who think UMA (which I work for the one in TAMPA, by the way) is just the worst school ever, let's look at what the admissions reps and student services employees deal with. Perhaps, then, you can understand that we do SO much more for our students than any public community college or most private trade schools. I come in contact with students who want the world - meaning, they want short programs, completely free, and they want us to then put them into a career and guarantee them that they will be successful. Yet these same students (most of them but they're are a few exceptions) couldn't handle the rigors of a traditional school with 2 years of math and English and foreign languages and sitting in a class for hours listening to a professor speak at a podium. Heck, most of these students can barely pass a GED test. These same students also don't work, have children, have FELONIES, and have a myriad of lame excuses that stop them from being successful in life (my car broke down, it's too hot outside, my baby's mama keyed my car, etc etc). And yet they want it ALL. Even students who are college educated and working FT jobs seem to believe that becuase we offer an inch of services, they should be able to stretch it into a mile.

I wake up every day knowing that some of these students need a swift kick in the ass to get going, tough love, if you will, and I am here to deliver it. In fact, I may be the only person in this student's life who cares enough to tell them that they are ridiculous if they want the Nursing Asst program to create a better life for them and their kids (b/c they wont - its pays too little) or that they better get it together and realize that college or higher education is NOT free and if you want a handout, you will never get far in life. And I don't care whose cousin/sister/auntie/neighbor told you that there is SO much help out there for single mothers who are not working - that doesnt mean schooling is going to be handed to you on a silver platter.

UMA offers job placement, we can offer leaves of absence if needed, and we only have a 4 day school week, with class times that can fit into almost every schedule. We have smaller classes than most and our teachers care about their students' success. So please save all the whining b/c you cannot take the skills we gave you and turn yourself into a positive aspect of the comuunity. Please talk to the 100s of our graduates that have.

Update!

AUTHOR: Missa - (U.S.A.)

I have been drug even further into the abyss of lies and ripoffs by this company. They are sending me bills for over $20,000! This is INSANE since my course was only around $11,000 (that's still WAY overpriced but comparing it to $20,000 doesn't sound like so much).

They apparently don't care if you finish or not before sending you your certificate. I remained in Florida for 4 months after finishing this searching for a job. I had to move because I couldn't get one. My supervisor for my externship refused to sign my evaluation forms and I was so fed up I didn't bother going back to the school. Ever. I didn't even call to say "Hey, I finished."

I also stopped making payments to them because they just seem to keep adding onto my bill. I owe Wachovia crazy amounts of money for my student loans. Those I will pay, but not a cent more to that crazy school.

If they do send a collections agency after me, the charges WILL be disputed.

If I could have found this website and some reviews about this place I never would have attended. Please take warning. This is not just one angry student complaining because things didn't go my way. This was going on with most of the students in my class (and others) and even students at the Tampa classes. PLEASE look into another school. This one is a true RIP OFF and they will try to ruin your credit!

There are other schools in the area. Please explore all of your options. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!! This certainly was.

:[