Complaint Review: Ultra Mobile

• Updated: Tue, August 19, 2014

• Reported By: Dylan — Las Cruces New Mexico
Ultra Mobile
Nationwide USA

Ultra Mobile Understanding but extremely UNHELPFUL. Not Recommended to Anyone. Nationwide

I have been an Ultra Mobile customer for about six months now. If you never need customer service and are looking to make affordable international phone calls then this company does offer good rates.

However, I recently had my account flagged for suspicious activity on 08/15/2014 and am prevented from adding payments for international credit. I suspect that this is entirely my fault as I had begun using a VPN which probably did make my account look suspicious. That being said, utilizing customer service was hellish and unhelpful to the point that I would not recommend this service to anyone. To begin with, when searching for their customer service line the only phone number you can find is 1-855-BE-ULTRA which is in fact not a customer service line but a robot that will tell you where the nearest physical store that provides Ultra Mobile service is. In my case, I waited for the store to open and I was able to find out that the actual number is 6-1-1 when called from an Ultra Mobile phone. I spent over an hour speaking to two representatives (Gretch and Raseo as well as a supervisor, Mark) who were trained to carefully and politely tell me that my plan has been ruined forever. In other words, I was told that my account had been flagged for suspicious activity and that it was company policy to not remove these flags for any reason and that there was no supervisor or person who could change this.

I was repeatedly told I could use an online service, Pinzoo, to make payments, however, after asking the supervisor to stay on the line while I attempted to use this method it became clear that I could only use Pinzoo to pay for full payments on my entire internet/phone bill and not to add international calling credit specifically. Mark confirmed that this was the only option. I was also advised to try to make payment by phone call, however, Mark acknowledged that this may not work either. I did make a phone call to refill my card and after entering all the prompts with the robot I was again transferred to a customer service representative who informed me that my account was flagged and wanted to explain reasons why this could happen, but also informed me that she had no way to process a payment and that nothing could be done. Lastly, both Mark and the last representative recommended that I should make all of my additional payments to maintain credit physically at the nearest store (30 miles away from my home and again with no guarantee that my payment will be processed). This is simply not a sustainable option for me and I suspect like all of their other recommendations that it has a high probability of resulting in failure.
I primarily use their service to call my girlfriend who is residing in Africa with the Peace Corps and am missing the chance to speak with her now due to their uncompromising service. After writing this review, I will be researching other cost efficient options for phone service and terminating my service immediately.

- Dylan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/19/2014 01:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ultra-Mobile/nationwide/Ultra-Mobile-Understanding-but-extremely-UNHELPFUL-Not-Recommended-to-Anyone-Nationwide-1170846. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ultra Mobile