Complaint Review: Umbrella Recovery Team

• Updated: Tue, April 22, 2014

• Reported By: a4tedj — Salt Lake City Utah
Umbrella Recovery Team
78365 HWY 111 #514 La Quinta, California USA

Umbrella Recovery Team For months, I got phone calls from a number listed as "Quebec" on my phone. Often I wouldn't answer because I would be working or in a meeting. Sometimes I would answer, but the call wouldn't connect and no one would be on the other line.  La Quinta California

Finally, one day I actually answer and talk to a person. The man on the phone is polite but saying I need to pay immediately a charge of $599.95 to settle a debt with National Reader Services. I tell him I settled that account months ago with the company. He says he doesn't know about that he is just doing his job. I ask to receive the bill in the mail, and it comes April 8th, 2014. The bill says I need to pay $599.95 within 30 days or I will be charged the full $1,148.85. The problem: the letter says I entered an agreement with national reader services on 9/17/2012. I did not!

My first problem happened in 2011 when I tried to get a promotional free gas card by calling a number.  I never got the gas card, and somehow in the process I got signed up for National Readers Services magazines.  I now know that the "Readers Services" is a scam to get your money.  For months after, I tried to settle and close my account with the magazine company.  I tried to do everything honestly and just pay the remaining balance and be done.  The sales associate on the phone would tell me my account is all cleared up and no one would ever contact me again.

Well, now it's been 3 years and I still get phone calls telling me I owe money.  The cullminating annoyance came in March when Umbrella Recovery Team called and said I needed to pay $599.95 of a debt totally $1,148.85 for magazine service.  I requested the bill in the mail--too much of this has happened over the phone just verbally, I wanted to get physical proof of what was going on.  The bill says I entered an agreement on 9/17/2012.  In actuallity I accidently signed up for the "service" a year ealier.  The letter gives me the opportunity to dispute within 30 days.  It doesn't look like a normal bill, and the BBB does nto have any information about this Umbrella Recovery Team.  This "collections" Umbrella Recovery Team seems spurious.  How do I get out of this?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/22/2014 07:13 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Umbrella-Recovery-Team/La-Quinta-California-92253/Umbrella-Recovery-Team-For-months-I-got-phone-calls-from-a-number-listed-as-Quebec-on-1140699. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Umbrella Recovery Team