Complaint Review: Union Bank

• Updated: Fri, May 04, 2012

• Reported By: Anonymous — Apple Valley California United States of America
Union Bank
20254 US Highway 18 Apple Valley, California United States of America

Union Bank Union Bank of California Charges For Statements They Don't Mail, Charges Outragous NFS Fees Apple Valley, California

*Consumer Comment: A couple of things.

*Consumer Comment: Just a comment

I have two complaints against Union Bank of California.

1st...my dad had a checking account.  Effective Jan 1st, 2012.  Union bank charges $10 per month for paper statements, $8 for online statements.  My dad does not use his account much and didn't have any transactions for Jan. and Feb. 2012.  Union Bank did NOT mail him a single statement until March, 2012, which combined all 3 months (Jan. - Mar. 2012).

So Union Bank charged my dad $10 for each month, as if they were mailing him a paper statement each month.  This is a rip-off.  He paid $10 a month for a mailed statement, whether he had any transactions or not, he's suppose to getting a monthly statement, period!  Needless to say, my dad cancelled his account.

Charging someone for a paper statement and not mailing one is fraud!

2nd and the biggest irritation of all.  For my account, I mailed two checks and didn't get two make a deposit for 2 days. Naturally, one of the checks was received and processed the next day.  So the check was NSF.  Yes, this was my fault and I make no excuses for my deposit tardiness.  Only a couple of days later,  I found out that Union Bank charged $33 a NSF fee.  Really???  $33 dollars for a $74.41 check?

But it gets better.  Because Union Bank's NSF fee is so outrageous, immoral and unethically high, the money that I did deposited to cover the two checks I mailed, was now short to cover the 2nd check for $37.74.  So Union Bank was nice enough to charge me yet an other $33 dollar NSF.  Then an additional $6.00 NSF fee on top of of the already $66 total previously charged NSF fees.  So, I wrote two checks totaling $112.51 and Union Bank charged $72 in NSF fees!  In which, their first insanely high NSF fee, caused the 2nd insanely high NSF fee.

What a complete and utter scam!!!  Especially since I've had a checking account with Union Bank for many, many, years.  I might have had one NSF check, if even that, over all these years.  I hope this bank gets sued or shut down completely, as this is a complete rip-off.  I understand an NSF fee...but $33 per item???  But it gets even better.  According to their NSF notice that I received in the mail, they charge a $30 maximum NSF fee, then $6 per day beginning with the 7th calendar day.

So, how did they get a $33 NSF fee?  According to their own documentation, the max is $30.  So, now they are lying on top of it.  Union Bank didn't charge a $30 NSF fee per item, they charged a $33 NSF fee per item.

I will be cancelling my account on Monday.  I will never use Union Bank again ever!

Beware, Union Bank is a complete rip-off!!!  Not only do they lie and charge you for statements they don't mail.  They charge outrageous fees that doesn't even match their documentation.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/04/2012 04:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Union-Bank/Apple-Valley-California-92307/Union-Bank-Union-Bank-of-California-Charges-For-Statements-They-Dont-Mail-Charges-Outrag-878546. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Union Bank

A couple of things.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

"  Effective Jan 1st, 2012.  Union bank charges $10 per month for paper statements, $8 for online statements. "

Is that what they said, or is that what you interpreted it to mean?   Banks charge monthly service fees for maintaining checking accounts that do not meet minimum balance requirements.   The service fee includes the processing of statements (among other things), and it will be charged whether the account is used or not.   They give you a $2 discount if you choose to have statements delivered electronically.   Your impression that the fee is only to cover a statement is incorrect.  It covers everything related to maintaining the account.

Only a couple of days later,  I found out that Union Bank charged $33 a NSF fee.  Really??? "

Yes, really!   The fact that this is a surprise to you indicates that you are probably pretty good at managing your accounts.    Their $33 fee is actually at the lower end of NSF fees charged by banks.   Most of them are in the $35 - $39 range.     If this is the only reason you want to dump this account and go to another bank, I strongly suggest you look over the other bank's fee schedules before signing up.   You may be in for another nasty surprise.

Just a comment

AUTHOR: Jim Martin - (USA)

I understand an NSF fee...but $33 per item???

The bank I currently use charges $39 per item.

Check your agreement, I'm sure the amount is in there some where.  You did agree to it.

Having an account with the bank "many, many, years" and only having one other NSF fee is completely irrelevant.

Like you said, it is YOUR fault.  It is always important to make sure the money to cover the check is in the account BEFORE writing it.

And, NO, I don't work for Union Bank.  Also, no one is going to believe your claims of a lawsuit either.

I will be cancelling my account on Monday

Good luck finding a bank or credit union that charges less than $33 for NSF/Overdraft.