Complaint Review: United Air Comfort

• Submitted: Fri, December 06, 2002
  • Updated: Sat, December 21, 2002

• Reported By:Oro Valley Arizona
United Air Comfort
5821 N Andrews Way Fort Lauderdale, Florida U.S.A.

United Air Comfort aka A/C Heating and Duct Cleaning ripoff Consumer fraud Fort Lauderdale Florida

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Thermocouple too expensive

We received a advertisment for tune-up for $19.00 for our gas furnace. When the technician arrived he informed us if the furnace was not operating it would be a service call. We wanted him to try to light it first. He checked and said we probably needed a new thermocoupler. He did not have one with him and asked where nearest Home Depot was. Took off and purchased one and installed it. Bill came to $258.75 with senior discount. The thermocoupler was listed as $125.00 on his bill. Checking later at Home Depot the thermocoupler cost was $5.25! We paid by credit card. Is there any way to fight this or stop payment?

Ruth
Oro Valley, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/06/2002 07:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Air-Comfort/Fort-Lauderdale-Florida-33309/United-Air-Comfort-aka-AC-Heating-and-Duct-Cleaning-ripoff-Consumer-fraud-Fort-Lauderdale-37445. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Air Comfort

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Ryan - (U.S.A.)

I am (thankfully) an ex-employee of this company. First, I would like to address the price on the thermocouple. United's actual cost for the part is most likely under $10.00, depending on the unit.

If I was the tech, I would have honestly charged around $75 to $80, which would include my time, knowledge to troubleshoot the problem and correct.

The thermocouple is a relatively easy part to replace. However, if the customer was charged more than that price, and it look like they were charged a substantial amount more, I would dispute the charge on the credit card bill.

United's tech's are paid a commission on the sale of service. In this case, the technician made about $63.00 for the work done. If he would have charged you the correct and fair amount of $75 to $80, he would have made only about $20.00 in his pocket. Blame United. They do not pay their tech's well, and consequently the tech's then take it out on the customers.

I'm sorry you were had by the tech's. Perhaps you may be able to dispute the charge and see if your state has some sort of anti-swindling law that may be able to help.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds