Complaint Review: United Airlines

• Submitted: Sun, September 14, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, November 19, 2008

• Reported By:Honolulu Hawaii
United Airlines
www.united.com Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.

United Airlines Ripped Me Off Chicago Illinois

*Consumer Comment: It pays to be nice

*Consumer Suggestion: The WHOLE Story

*Consumer Comment: Doesn't make sense ...

*Consumer Suggestion: Comon sense won't help if trying to understand airline fares and fees

I had to have a procedure done at Stanford Hospital so I purchased two-way tickets from Honolulu to San Francisco. I had complications so I had to stay longer than was planned. The doctors there said not to worry as usually they can make arrangements with the airlines to reschedule the flight.

I contacted United Airlines only to find out that they would not give me a refund for the return flight ticket despite the fact that it was a medical emergency. They said that I had to call customer service in order to cancel the ticket. And in order to do any transaction with customer service there was a fee.

After it was all done with I had only a $68 credit which was a fraction of what the ticket cost. I did not use the credit because it actually cost a lot more, with the credit included, to fly back to Hawaii than Hawaiian Airlines. So I took Hawaiian Airlines and the whole thing added an additional $500 cost to my trip back home.

This kind of thing can result in patients leaving before they are advised to by their doctors in order to catch their flights. How can the government allow such a thing to happen? This is highway robbery. Our taxes are used to help these airlines when they have financial problems. But when it comes their turn to help us out they rip us off!

Anonymous
Honolulu, Hawaii

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/14/2008 03:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Airlines/Chicago-Illinois-60666/United-Airlines-Ripped-Me-Off-Chicago-Illinois-372750. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Airlines

It pays to be nice

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

I had the same situation with United, only it was very positive.

We were on vacation, had non refundable tickets, and in this case we didn't know we would be in the hospital (if we had been going specifically for surgery we would have bought refundable tickets). My Wife ended up in the hospital and they would not release her until the day after our flight. I went to the airport, waited in a long line, kept seeing people get frustrated with the agents, and knew this would be awful. When I got to the agent, I explained the situation. She changed our tickets to a later date, as they were doing it, I said, I know we bought discount tickets, so how much will the cost change? as I got out my wallet. The woman said, You know what, everyone yells at me and fights the fees and causes a fuss, since you offered to pay, I am going to waive the fees for you. She then changed our tickets to another flight, and put us on a Y fair which is refundable in case we had to change again.

I guess it pays to read the rules and know you will have to pay if you buy a discount ticket and offer to pay graciously instead of expecting to get things for free that you don't deserve because you didn't plan ahead.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

The WHOLE Story

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

I love it when people leave out a bunch of facts. Like the fact that the OP bought the cheapest, NON-REFUNDABLE tickets, then ran into a problem that required that they stay at the hospital longer, then the big, bad, mean old airline won't refund all of their NON-REFUNDABLE tickets. Why not blame the doctors? THEY said they could usually make arrangements with the airlines. Why not blame the patients for leaving early before they are advised to by their doctors? Why not blame the government for allowing such a thing to happen? Let's see, Is there anyone else we forgot to blame? How about the OP for buying a NON-REFUNDABLE ticket? Nope can't blame them. that would make too much sense. Here's a suggestion, BUY REFUNDABLE TICKETS.

Doesn't make sense ...

AUTHOR: Peter - (U.S.A.)

You wrote: "they would not give me a refund for the return flight ticket despite the fact that it was a medical emergency."

If it were truly a "medical emergency," then wouldn't you need to STAY IN SAN FRANCISO WHERE THE HOSPITAL IS? Not return back to Honolulu?

Also -- if there was a chance your travel dates may change, you should have purchased full-fare tickets, not NON-REFUNDABLE ones.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Comon sense won't help if trying to understand airline fares and fees

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

there are many examples like yours - this is how their system is set up: obviously they make more money with fees than with regular ticket sales. You paid $ 500,- for the one way trip from SFO to Hawaii with Hawaiian airlines. for $ 300 more you can go with the same airline from phoenix to manila (via Hawaii) and back to Phoenix - does that make sense ?

I would still keep your United experience in mind and avoid them in the future. They don't care about losing customers with their arrogant behavior and they should get the message from you.