Complaint Review: United Airlines

• Updated: Tue, June 23, 2009

• Reported By:Holualoa Hawaii
United Airlines
http://www.united.com Internet U.S.A.

United Airlines - Access America $150.00 gouges customers who try to get refunds for a flight. Even if it's over 30 days in advance Internet

*Consumer Comment: Look at your first sentence.

*Consumer Suggestion: What was the Criteria You Didn't Meet?

I was looking for the cheapest airfare to fly from Kona, HI to Sacramento, CA and back to see my ailing mother and neice who is getting married. 2 days after I purchased the flight (with insurance). The diagnosis for my mother improved and my neice decided to get married later on in the year. No problem, I'll just cancel my flight...WRONG!!

Today is April 10th. I scheduled the flight May 20th. That's over 30 days from now. I'm thinking that this shouldn't be a problem. I've not caused a delay or loss of seating to anyone.....WRONG AGAIN!!!

United Airlines does not refund the flights unless you meet their criteria. Nor did I meet the criteria for the insurance I purchased either that's supposed to protect you in case you have to change, modifiy or request a refund for your flight.

The 1-800 Reservation Desk informs me that even though it's well in advance that there is a $150.00 cancellation fee and you have to use the remainder of your original cost of flight for a future flight within the year. You don't get your money back. Of course the nice lady on the other line stated that if I want to cancel my flight to feel free, but you don't get a refund.

What good is flight insurance if you can't use it. I'm sorry you're going to have to speak with the Access America for that. I speak to them and I get the same thing.

I think this is bogus that United Airlines is allowed to run their business like this. I've called my credit card company and am now in the process of disputing this charge.

I am so angry. If I get my money back I will never fly with them. If I am forced to take their cancellation fee I will be their most angry passenger.

Kona
Holualoa, Hawaii

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/10/2009 03:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Airlines/internet/United-Airlines-Access-America-15000-gouges-customers-who-try-to-get-refunds-for-a-fli-442653. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Airlines

Look at your first sentence.

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

You state, "I was looking for the cheapest airfare". The cheapest airfare is non-refundable and has a $150 +/- fair difference change fee. It clearly states it upfront.

If you buy a non-refundable ticket, why should they refund you?

Also, the travel insurance, clearly states upfront, before you buy, listed clearly as "What is covered."

Complete Cessation of Airline
Death of a family member
Death of person traveling
Illness of person traveling
Injury of person traveling
Jury/Subpoena

So, again, you bought a discount non-refundable ticket, and paid for travel insurance with specific criteria.

Why would you expect them to refund you, or not charge a change fee?

If you want a refundable ticket, buy one next time.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Karl - (U.S.A.)

When you sign a contract or buy a ticket or buy insurance you need to (before you sign or buy) read the criteria and understand it. Obviously since you state that you didn't meet the criteria for a refund whose fault is the denial of a refund? It doesn't sound like United or the insurance company is at fault. If they are we need to know why.

#3 Consumer Suggestion