Complaint Review: United Airlines

• Submitted: Wed, May 11, 2011
  • Updated: Fri, June 24, 2011

• Reported By: Vwhite — Edmonds Washington United States of America
United Airlines

United Airlines SCAM ALERT, BUYER BEWARE OF SEAT SELECTION/EXTRA FEES INCLUDED BY DEFAULT SELECTION , Internet

*Consumer Comment: IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY

*Consumer Comment: I book online with UAL all the time

*Consumer Comment: "WRENCH-TURNER SONG"....

*Consumer Comment: Not robbery

I purchased a plane ticket with United Airlines online and then went through the process of seat selection. There are a myriad of options offering extra packages with no description of what they are. They all go to the default of yes,  so you basically have to look with a fine tooth comb to avoid inadvertently selecting an option. Which I missed and was charged an additional $59 for Economy Plus which turns out to be extra leg room for the traveler. I noticed the charge on my receipt and called to have it removed. However, I was told that it was too late (4 hours from the purchase to the complaint) and that the $59 could not be removed. However, the rep was willing to move me to a different seat location at no additional cost. I am just wondering when we are going to be charged for breathing, trips to the bathroom, fan usage, etc.  I feel this is downright robbery as it went to an automatic default that gives the airline my money when I had no intention of buying this option. It is wrong and is a poor and unjust practice. I highly suggest never using this airline again as they clearly do not have their customers interest in mind.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/11/2011 03:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Airlines/internet/United-Airlines-SCAM-ALERT-BUYER-BEWARE-OF-SEAT-SELECTIONEXTRA-FEES-INCLUDED-BY-DEFAULT-728147. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Airlines

IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY

AUTHOR: Bubba Lee - (Canada)

I think this billing practice is ileagle in Canada You can not bill some one for somthing unless they chose the option I think it called negitive choice or negative option billing

I book online with UAL all the time

AUTHOR: Pdxracer - (U.S.A.)

... and know to check/uncheck seat selections and can clearly see the cost before I submit my seat selection.

Its a mistake, but its not the airlines fault.   The system asks you to verify your selection and that you agree to the terms and conditions.

Am tired of seeing complaints to the airlines when its the consumer not taking responsibility for their own actions.

"WRENCH-TURNER SONG"....

AUTHOR: Karl - (USA)

is available at this website! (It's a song about the people who are 'inspecting' many of the planes in the USA, and making sure that they're safe to fly.)

*Just type in 646259 at this site and the song appears in 'Consumer Comment #98' at Ripoff Report #646259.

WELCOME TO THE AIRLINES IN THE USA- WE SAVE A LOT OF MONEY BY SENDING MANY OF OUR PLANES OVER TO CHINA SO THE "WRENCH-TURNERS" CAN INSPECT THEM AND MAKE SURE THAT THEY'RE SAFE

Not robbery

AUTHOR: Susan - (USA)

This is not robbery.  You failed to uncheck a box. Take it as a $59 lesson.

A large number of complaints on ROR are people who didn't uncheck a box and are beng billed monthly.