Complaint Review: United Collections Bureau

• Submitted: Thu, October 24, 2002
  • Updated: Mon, December 01, 2008

• Reported By:Hayward CA
United Collections Bureau
5620 Southwyck Boulevard Toledo, Ohio U.S.A.

United Collections Bureau con artist fake ripoff claims to be some sort of lawyer for collection agency and bank client making close ended deals with me no consideration for homeless Toledo Ohio

*Consumer Comment: Confused!!!

*Consumer Comment: Interesting observation about the education level of collection agency staff

*Consumer Suggestion: fine print

*Consumer Suggestion: Rick the collector still needs to learn how to read.

*Consumer Comment: its been awhile.....sorry

*Consumer Comment: Don't want to get into the Rick/Steve argument, but..

*Consumer Suggestion: Rick the Collectors should learn how to read before correcting/slamming others!

*Consumer Comment: Steve - A challenge?

*Consumer Suggestion: For Rick the collector, stick to the little bit you actually know

*Consumer Comment: Bad info once again.

*Consumer Comment: I'm glad I can beat them! So I don't have to join them!

*Consumer Comment: Getting somewhere Steve!

*Consumer Comment: Linda You are wasting time and valuable memory space for ripoffreport.com

*Consumer Comment: one question for you rick....

*Consumer Comment: Linda the good lil citizen

*Consumer Comment: READ MY POST!

*Consumer Suggestion: Clarification on types of credit and types of collectors

*Consumer Comment: No hard feelings Andrew!

*Consumer Comment: Education is the key!

*Consumer Suggestion: a bit of justice to provide relief

*Consumer Comment: LINDA...Advice Columnist?

*Consumer Comment: Finally some honesty.

*Consumer Comment: Rick, Give it ip!

*Consumer Comment: Steve/Linda...AGAIN, you miss the point.

*Consumer Comment: get a read out

*Consumer Suggestion: Advice for Rick the collector regarding MORALS and bad debt

*Consumer Suggestion: Response to Rick the Collector..You STILL need to learn how to read!

*Consumer Comment: Rick

*Consumer Comment: "Steve and Linda where is your integrity?"

*Consumer Suggestion: More education for "J" the UCB collector

*Consumer Comment: The Bottom Line Is....

*Consumer Comment: thank you Steve

*Consumer Suggestion: Thanks to LINDA, and someReal advice for "J" the collector

*Consumer Comment: When a collection account on a credit report is not paid after a certain TIME (7 years) it will be DELETED off the credit report.

*Consumer Comment: to help out a little bit

*Consumer Comment: a collection agency has no right to harass us

*Consumer Comment: Steveo...

*Consumer Comment: STEVE, STEVE, STEVE

*Consumer Suggestion: Furthermore, "J" the collector is just mad I am educating people how to beat collectors!

*Consumer Suggestion: Info for "J", I used to be a Mortgage Broker and loan Officer

*Consumer Comment: I missed one little thing

*Consumer Comment: The Worst

*Consumer Suggestion: Response to Bobbie the collector, You might want to get educated first

*Consumer Comment: Huh?

*Consumer Comment: Need some advice, Bobbie

*UPDATE Employee: It didn't take long for someone to prove my point, Thanx, Deana

*Consumer Suggestion: Response to Bobby the Collector - I can STOP collections activity WITHOUT paying! You are a moron, like most collectors.

*Consumer Comment: Bobbie, I want to thank you....

*UPDATE Employee: To Steve

*Consumer Suggestion: Response and advice to Bobby the UCB Collector..

*Consumer Comment: What about when the Third party collection agency has wrong information?

*UPDATE Employee: WHY NOT JUST PAY YOUR BILLS?

*Consumer Comment: I am a victim also

*Consumer Suggestion: UCB violated with that note

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Fired for being a victum at Uinted Collection Bureau, i was threaten for my life

*Consumer Suggestion: I have a tape of UCB debt collectors abuse and lies

*Consumer Suggestion: Introducing Elmer To The Real World

*Consumer Comment: Bill Payment A bit of advice

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Problems with United collections bureau originating from Southshore Hospital

*Consumer Comment: Collection Agencies are like this!

*Consumer Suggestion: Are you for real?

*UPDATE Employee: We do our job the best we can.

*Consumer Comment: Don't pay them a dime until....

*UPDATE Employee: We are not con-artists

Last Tuesday, October 22, 2002, around 12:30pm, I received a written note on my screen door describing the time of day, the representative of the collection agency, Mr. Lance Smith, involved, the phone number and extension number of the representative's company, words "urgent" and "contact" included in the note, and my neighbor's first name on the bottom.

I checked the phone number to see if it's just a fake number or a legitimate phone number of the collection agency that has contacted me by mail. It really was United Collections Bureau in its answering machine programming. So, I called the extension number indicated to ask why leave such information to my nextdoor neighbor instead of me. They would not tell me their method of obtaining their information.

The representative started rattling out, without allowing interruption, about the total debt, the option of lowering the amount to a thousand dollars or another thousand. He only left me with a minimum of $4000 after embarassingly telling him that I am currently homeless (living in a temporary transitional housing program), been unemployed since March 1, 2002 due to temp. agency layoff, sexual assault victim in July 2002, and a domestic violence victim from family.

There is no way such company could squeeze me off $100 even what more if it's $4000? Not even my own mother could help me because she has been under collections for years and currently have not gotten out of bad debt. I have no friends to turn to for money.

I need to know if this company, their client, or both companies are ripping me off bigtime. I refuse to send out money to the wrong party or a con artist if I ever get hired for a job. Even if I start working, there is no way I could come up with money like that in a week's time. Mr. Smith claims that his client is not giving anymore time and may turn my case to a judge for judgment in a short time. He said something about "him telling his client not to sue me anymore because of my current condition" but still demanding the $4000.

Please pursue this rip-off case with honest determination. Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Karen
Hayward, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/24/2002 02:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Collections-Bureau/Toledo-Ohio-43614/United-Collections-Bureau-con-artist-fake-ripoff-claims-to-be-some-sort-of-lawyer-for-coll-33340. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Collections Bureau

Confused!!!

AUTHOR: Abeda - (U.S.A.)

I am not here to bash the UCB. I have not been a "victim" either. However, my mother and father have a joint account for an unnamed credit card company. The bill totalled over $22,000. My parents had trouble for a little while paying the bill. For a while they paid over the minimum, then they only started paying the minimum amount due, then they just started paying late. I understand this was sort of their fault, but UCB decided to call my parents. I was sort of the middle person, because my parents need a translator. So basically I was given permission to handle the situation. UCB said they could lessen the total amount from $22,000 to a little over $4,000. I, as well as my parents, were ecstatic. They asked for an initial deposit and so with no hesitation, I gave it. It was about $300-400. UCB said after the initial we could pay whatever amount after. However, we never got any type of confirmation in the mail, as we asked, saying we paid or saying that the total was reduced. I have paid the initial 4 or 5 months ago. I have been trying my best to reach a "Rihanna", the woman that was handling my parents case. I still haven't had any contact with her. I think what the UCB does is a good thing, though they may be a bit aggressive at times. But I do understand it is their job and the agents also have to answer to someone. I am not sure what to do. A man came to my house today (12-01-2008) and gave a summons for my mom from the company. It said she owed $22,000 and that there is a case against her, the company based in South Dakota vs. my mother. I believe they wanted to take her in but we explained the situation. The man said to handle it today or he'd come back soon. Can someone give me an idea of what I should do?... My parents can afford to pay the $4,000 that it was reduced to today, but we're not sure where to or who to talk to...

Interesting observation about the education level of collection agency staff

AUTHOR: Anna - (U.S.A.)

Oh, Lori of OMAHA, Nebraska, oh my! Is English your first language?

What a strange pathetic communication that was. Though you commented as a "consumer" you referred to collectors as we. So, I take it you work for one of these agencies. God, they must be desperate to employ someone whose grasp of language isn't even that of en elementary school student.

IM = Were you looking for I'm as in I am maybe?

DONT = Shooting for don'tas in do not perhaps?

LIKLEY = likely maybe, I'm just guessing

WRIGHT = You were thinking write I suppose, am I right? (har!)

SAPOSED = I going to hazard a guess, was this supposed to be supposed?

WOULDNT = Contractions just aren't that hard to learn dear, even in all caps. Are you a high school graduate? If so, how?

IT DONT MATTER NONE OF IT MATTERS. = It don't I can't even touch, are you literate? And matter none oh lord, if this weren't so sad it would be funny.

ECT. = Ahem, dear, the abbreviation is etc. short for etcetera, a word that I am certain you could never comprehend.

DONT = Contractions, contractions, contractions, not so hard really or if you don't understand them just write do not.

GET A LIFE AND GET A JOB LIKE THE REST OF US AMERICANS DO. = That would be we Americans, and get a life is slang from about 1981.

I love coming to this site and seeing in black and white the pathetic education level of the zombie employees of these bottom feeders.

It is just bizarre really!

#3 Consumer Suggestion

fine print

AUTHOR: Brenda - (U.S.A.)

Actually the CHANGES in any terms are even more in fine print than the TERMS in the first place. I'm sure many odler people or someone with EYE problems can't clearly read and understand the terms NEW or not.

but yes it is true - in the fine print it indicates the lender may change terms at any time (some reasons are if you default or are late on any other loans - if you get another loan or credit card with high limits then your income and payouts are different than when you filed with the LENDER making the changes. The ironic part is if a person is trying to get A LOAN WITH LOWER APR to pay off a couple of higher debts they are turned down as they have too much PAYOUT - most of this is done by computers and check off system, not much room for HUMAN understanding.

Yes opt out of any huge interest increases and pay off that creditor as soon as possible - better than going bankrupt.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Rick the collector still needs to learn how to read.

Rick,

First, I never "ran" from anything in my life, especially a scumbag loser crackhead debt collector.

Second, I clearly stated I had perfect credit for 14 years straight. No late payments on anything, not even a utility bill.

Third, I will put up proof of everything I have stated. However, my time and resources are not free, and posting that info here would jeopardize all of my "accomplishmnets".

I will show you my past and present credit reports as well as the numerous lawsuits and collection attempts all of which have failed. It will cost you $25,000 to see the books. If I cannot produce what I have stated, you get $25k from me.

You see, I have plenty of money, 3 vehicles paid for and over $150 in equity in a home which is homesteaded and untouchable. I earn in excess of $1000 a week on a good union job and have a VA pension.

I can guarantee your scumbag collector a** is nowhere close to where I'm at.

You are the tool, not me.

Go back to your cubicle now, your crack pipe is calling your name.

its been awhile.....sorry

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

With 100% certainty, I would not pay a bill that I did not create. If an erroneous debt shows on your bureau you should fight it until the end. I am sorry for what happened to you. However, I have got to believe that was an anomaly. With that being said, I cannot stand reporting agencies. They are a business. The public believes they are some government agency doing a service. B.S. They are paid to monitor credit according to the FICO/FICA. This is an algorithm based score created years ago using antiquated information based on those dates and times. 2007 is a new period. There are so many variables. They have changed so much over the years. You can see this in bankruptcy scoring. Credit bureaus now base it on 4 years instead of 7. How f'd up is that. Facts are:
1) Had to be done for creditors to make money.
2) The % of Americans in financial trouble has gotten so out of control that THEY have to adjust and not US. We all pay for this!!!
3) See the housing issue country wide. Enough said. So many poor souls went out, bought high and interest only, and are now in foreclosure. Poor folks. Just another example of kids suffering for their parent's mistakes.

Sir, Steve and Linda are a tool. Basic facilitators of the "Hate the credit world" propaganda B.S. that those who screw the rest of us have to pass along to make them selves feel better. They are at best losers. Read closely, and several times, their postings. They preach running from their debt purposefully. Would you teach this to your kid? If so, I ask you a question. When your boy/girl calls you at age 20 to ask if you can bail them out of a credit card nightmare will you be OK with that? Or, will you be the guy saying, "If I had just spent some time with them like I did with the Birds and Bees and Drugs we would be OK right now".

It is our job to teach them. The IDIOTS above (No offense Steve and Lind) screw up their credit lives and make it hard on us stand up guys.

Don't want to get into the Rick/Steve argument, but..

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

I'd like to see Linda's question addressed thoroughly. I think bad credit reporting should be punishable, as when the collector goes after someone that doesn't owe anything. Rick, do you think you should be held responsible if you ruin my credit and you're completely wrong? If so, what should your punishment be if you cause me to lose out on a home for my family or any other purchase because of your careless actions? It DID almost happen to me last year, over back child support for two children that I never had, with a woman I've never heard of. Fortunately, my banker knows me and cleared it up, hopefully for good.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Rick,

I have no idea where you got your assumptions but that is clearly not what I wrote.

And, I don't follow anyone. My posts are based on my last 25 years of credit experience both as a consumer and a business owner. My experience is also based on actually using my own advice in court and winning.

As far as the credit qualifying goes of 20 years ago on credit cards such as Diner's Club they had very little. I had a Diner's Club card when I was 25 and in the Air Force on a Sgt's salary!
Secured credit financing is done much more responsibly than unsecured creit. Secured credit is almost always based on both a credit score and at least a DTI ratio.

Remember, I was a loan officer and later a mortgage broker. I understand lending.

And, if I know nothing how come you scumbag collectors havent been able to collect even 1 dime from me on 34 default accounts in 4 years? I must know something.

My proof is in my performance, and other than that I have no need to prove anything to anyone, especially a debt collector, as I have already done that.

I actually observed getting cards who were unemployed and/or who had dumped several creditors. It was a big problem.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

#9 Consumer Suggestion

Steve - A challenge?

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

Steve, I challenge you on your facts. Produce proof of your information. Wont happen and you know whyyou are a follower. You listen to other people and formulate a nonfactual opinion, post it irresponsibly, and then try to defend yourself through insults.

Kind of a bully mentality isn't it? As a matter of fact you remind me of one of these people that join a cult, get brainwashed, and then spend years spewing bad information until they wake up and say, d**n, I just blew ten years of my life.

Fact of the matter Steve is that you are a tool. A facilitator of nonsense and B.S. handed out by those consumer advocates that I have mentioned earlier. They use the weak minded and uneducated to spill their non-sense out to the other weak minded and uneducated. Steve you are nothing but a tool to them. Use your head and spend the time researching for FACTS rather than spread the propaganda. You are nothing but a tool to help disseminate incorrect information and base-less facts.

You know Diners Club huh? They just gave cards away because they could not validate the applicant. Huh. Anyone could get one huh? It was not limited to the affluent or well off huh? Ohhh and the kicker, you did not have to qualify for credit back then because there was no Internet or computerized records! My God, I didn't realize the world just started 20 years ago. d**n, no one drove a car or bought a house back then because the banks had no way to validate their credit worthiness huh? Brilliant Steve. More non-sense from an irresponsible person LISTENING to others quoting incorrect information they think is fact. Let me read your NEXT post to me:

Rick you big dummycars and homes are secured debtsthey DON'T need to validate those applicants. My buddy Michael, who knows Bruce told Liberace who told (insert any of your friends names here) that they do not check credit when you buy a house.

Again brilliant. What in the world would posses you to post such idiotic thoughts? They just gave away the credit.you must be a brilliant businessman. Thank God you bought that house in 1981. You just made it before they started checking credit worthiness. LOL

Why don't you ever address the real nature of my post? No thoughts on the pertinent, factual, data contained there?

Like I said Steve, ease up on the tool mentality, do your own research, and become a respectful, stand-up, person. There is still time left for you. Not much but some.

Excuse me now for I have to go back to my cubicle. Don't you have someone to pick up Steve?

Hear that sound in your brain Steve? That's common sense. Hurts don't it?

#11 Consumer Suggestion

For Rick the collector, stick to the little bit you actually know

Rick,

Please go back to your cubicle now.

I know exactly what I meant, and those numbers I gave are fairly accurate. And they didn't come from collectors.

Trust me, it is NOT only 5% of debtors that are in collections. It is MUCH higher than that.

Your analogy of the history of credit cards is WAY OFF. Back then there was no internet, no computerized records to speak of and no way of verifying too much on an applicant. I know plenty of people back then, including my Dad who had a Diner's club card. We were not rich, or even close.

People would run up multiple cards and just walk away and there was no technology in place to find them.

Being in default simply means your account is not paid as agreed. Serious default is considered to be when a debtor is 60 or more days late by most lender's standards.

Now we get to charged off debt. Even this number, today is more than 5% of the population who uses credit. Much more.

Debt collectors employed by creditors, commonly referred to as first party collectors, are not the ones who bother me. The ones I refer to are the junk debt buyers who buy very old out of stat debts and act in an abusive and illegal manner to collect a debt they are not legally entitled to. many times contacting a person who does not even owe the debt, just because the file was incomplete and the scumbag desperate crackhead collector cant figure it out. They just know they need to collect so they can buy more crack.

Thats my point.

ps.I had my first credit card in 1981 and bought my first house in 1982. I'm not new to credit.

Bad info once again.

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

Where are you getting your "facts"? This is an irresponsible post with inaccurate information that is preaching the wrong facts.

Why would COLLECTORS have information regarding default? They collect what is in front of them not prevent it. Banks disclose this information. It is they who finalize numbers and report yearly their defaults for financial purposes.

You have heard of a quarterly/annual earnings report correct?

FYI - 20 years ago credit cards were not as nearly available as they are today. Credit lines were normally extended to the upper class only. It started with the first credit card, Diners Club, and it was a sign of prestige back then. If you had a card you were someone of status.

Because of this, default was limited. It was not until within the last 10-12 years that creditor's began to offer credit to those within the sub-prime demographic. They also began to offer to a much younger market such as college students. These two examples are what you consider predatory lending. I consider it a business and lack of education by those opening the credit lines.

Instead of a credit card being used to help rebuild the credit of say a sub-prime user or college student they run out, max out the line thinking Oh, its only $25 a month, and then default because they could not afford it in the first place. That is finance mismanagement and reckless spending. Better known as LACK OF EDUCATION!

You said:

Approx half of all consumers go into serious default at some time during their lives.

What you meant was:

Approx half of all consumers go into serious DEBT at some time during their lives.

We have got to begin with our youth. Teach them proper spending habits. Teach them not to go into debt, be responsible when spending, and understand how credit works. IT IS that important. It should start in schools, taught at home, and continue through life. Teach them NOT to keep up with the Jones' but build themselves TO be the Jones'.

We, as the adults, have a responsibility to help our children down the right path. Lets not screw this one up. We teach our kids about sex to help them avoid teen pregnancy and STDs. We teach our kids not to drink and drive and not to use drugs. These are all possible life altering events and most importantly a learned practice. We are not born with these instincts. They must be taught through repetition, role models AND THROUGH EXAMPLE.

Dude hate what you want. Just don't teach your kids to. Let them make up their own mind after their own experiences. IT IS that important.

I'm glad I can beat them! So I don't have to join them!

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

I would hate to think about joining them!

Won't happen.

FYI. Debt default is MUCH more than 5%. I don't know where collectors get that number. That was like 20 years ago. It is fantasy.

MOST collectors are in financial hardship and/or default themselves, but won't admit it.

Approximately 15% of all unsecured debt now ends up as a charge off.

default on debts is growing by the day, and credit scores are lower than ever. It all has to do with todays economy. High costs, low wages, illegal immigration, etc.

Our economy is headed towards a major crash. Very soon.

Getting somewhere Steve!

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

Steve, now we are getting somewhere. Predatory collections via bad debt buyers can be a problem. It is regulated on the State and Federal Government level. My point of view is simple. Let the Government handle them and educate the public to avoid ending up in a situation where they will have dealings with one of these companies. Debt buying is a billion dollar business because of 3% of the public whom mismanaged their finances, spent recklessly or did not completely understand how the credit world works.

The remaining 1-2%, like Andrew, does everything in their power to get the debt handled. If, due to PROVEN catastrophic reasons, the bill cannot be paid after exhausting all efforts than it should be written of as acceptable loss. Some things are fate and cannot be changed. Creditors plan accordingly for this acceptable loss. We see it in our membership fees, interest rates, over limit and past due fees, ect. These types of charges/fees help to cover what the bank deems acceptable loss. Problem is they keep getting increased due to other types of default.

Now comes the opinion of predatory lending. If we step back and take a clear look at our creditors business practices I am sure you would agree that this is protection for the bank. Penalties are severe to prevent default and ultimately, increased fees and interest to the 95% of the public not in default.

We must educate and stay positive. There is no way around the credit world. Make an impact on our youth now and we will reap the rewards in our elder years. Time is of the essence. If you do not want to be the preacher, or educator, of good credit habits then the alternative is simple. Stop posting your feelings and stay with the facts. You can make a difference!

If you can't beat'em, join'em!

Linda You are wasting time and valuable memory space for ripoffreport.com

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

Linda - Please do us all a favor and stop. You are wasting time and valuable memory space for ripoffreport.com. You are not listening to what is being written. Here let me answer your question:

No. I would not pay a debt that was not mine.

Now, back to the point that has been made over, and over, and over, and over again. STOP POSTING IRRISPOINSIBLE, RECKLESS INFORMATION THAT WILL HELP TO SPREAD THE WRONG IMPRESSION TO THOSE WHO ARE MOST AFFECTED....OUR YOUTH.

Do me a favor and save your attempt at rhetoric for the coffee clutch. It will be much better received there, as this site is a forum for those who wish to better the public's information on specific points.

Thanks for playing..and oh, That's my stance on that point (give me a break Steve wannabe!)

one question for you rick....

AUTHOR: Linda - (U.S.A.)

would you pay on an account that was listed on your credit report that you knew was not yours?

Linda the good lil citizen

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

Linda Please read the post above where I speak of your advice to others to run from your responsibility. My beef with you Linda is simple. You are acting irresponsible when giving advice to novices in the credit word. Your posts are reckless and full of nonsense information that a younger viewer may actually take to heart. When this happens WE ALL SUFFER. That person(s) will start a life of running from their responsibility when the going gets tough. Read Andrew's post. Wonderful information from an educated person. A person who has seen the tough times and battled through them. He sold his luxuries to pay his debt. He turned off his luxuries to pay his debt. That is a responsible citizen with something to prove. Prove to his wife, his children, his family, and most of all HIMSELF.

Now lets visit your advice to others:

Why would someone who has a collection account that only has 3 years left of the 7 years? If they did pay it then this would start the 7 years completely over and show as a 'paid collection' which is a 'negative' mark on their credit report instead of completely gone! (postive mark)

And:

I ask you one question. Would you teach this same practice of irresponsibility to your children? Hey Johnny, I know things are tough right now. Just don't pay your credit bills. Wait them out for seven years and then go and by that boat you wanted. Everything will be great then. Unbelievable and unconscionable.

You probably feel in your head you are right but your heart has to speak differently. You have to make sense of this, act responsible, and post a retraction to your advice.

Do it for the younger members of our society. Those impressionable children that look to us adults for advice. Do it for Andrew's kids, my kids, and all of the other mostly teenage kids that use the web and may read your nonsense. Please Linda, be a good lil citizen as you so elegantly put it.

READ MY POST!

AUTHOR: Linda - (U.S.A.)

What about those of us such as myself who are threatened by these collectors who are trying to scare us into paying something that is not even ours just to make a quick buck! or those collectors that know they break the law and the naive people out there get taken for their hard earned money!

It seems you Rick need education and learn to read before making accusations!

Why should I pay for something that isnt mine to begin with? Just because my name is similar or the same? Heck no! I will fight it to the end!

And that is my position!

#19 Consumer Suggestion

Clarification on types of credit and types of collectors

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

First of all, I thoroughly understand the importance of credit, and I am not anti-credit as Rick suggests.

I am against IRRESPONSIBLE and PREDATORY lending tactics. UNSECURED credit is a problem.

And, I am not against 1st party collectors, or "in house" collectors working for the original creditor.

I am against junk debt buyers and the collectors who work for them. A junk debt buyer is NOT a creditor. A junk debt buyer is an INVESTOR. They have no rights to anything. They should invest in something more solid, like the stock market or real estate.

My opinion is that if the original creditor felt the debt was not worth going to court over, why should an INVESTOR be able to?

I have rebuilt my credit and am well over 600 credit score which will allow me to finance another trucking business in late spring.

I know the importance of credit. I also know the importance of responsible lending. If these lenders practiced responsible lending, they would not ever suffer these kinds of losses or have the need for outside debt collectors.

That is my position.

No hard feelings Andrew!

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

Andrew ? A terrific post and then BAM!, insults. Should I call you a jerk for voicing your opinions?

Actually, very informative and educated were your thoughts. I was impressed to see your candid speak of regression and then success once you applied yourself to resolve. Although you believe morality to be a ?tool?, used by one to get another to pay a bill, I believe it to be a way of life. In fact, you demonstrated that perfectly. You picked yourself up, realized you had an obligation to do everything possible to work out your debt, and the executed your plan. Most importantly, you educated your kids by speaking to them and demonstrating a good role model!

FYI ? And I thought I had explained this numerous times, I am not a debt collector. I am pro-credit. I do believe in the practice of collections but not predatory collections.

Unfortunately, this world is not made up of Andrew's when it comes to credit default. It is made of Steve's and Linda's who enter collections not for catastrophic reasons but for selfishness and financial mis-management. They then go on to post recklessly as shown above. This teaches nothing but irresponsibility to the public and promotes financial repercussions for the rest of us. I can't help but to wonder where they are now?

America listen up. Andrew, through no fault of his own, was out of work. Admittedly he hid but then realized what he had to do. HE SOLD EVERYTHING HE COULD. TURNED OF HIS CABLE, PHONE AND OTHER LUXIERIES! Responsible, moral decisions made by a stand-up citizen! Would you have done the same? Self sacrifice your comfort zone.....I doubt it.

This should be a learning experience for many out there. Thank you for your well written post Andrew. It sounds like you are back on your feet and probably much better off thanks to what you have been through. Your kids will grow up educated in the credit world and in no doubt will be thanking you for that! Congrats!

Signed,

The Jerk

Education is the key!

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

As you can see by the lack of rebuttal by Steve and Linda, education is the key to your financial success. Put the B.S. behind you. Stop complaining about everything but the facts and you will see the answer. You are your own financial manager. Do it responsibly, educate yourself in the ways of finance, and you too will be a success! The key to collections is......DON'T END UP THERE!

Anyone interested in an educated, adult, useful conversation feel free to post!

Nice talking with you Steve and Linda!

#22 Consumer Suggestion

a bit of justice to provide relief

AUTHOR: Andrew - (U.S.A.)

I would first like to say thanks to ripoffreport.com just for existing! When I was in this position many years ago there was no internet like today. This site, even with the mudslinging, is a place where if you look through enough of that mud you can find a diamond in the rough.
I have had dealings with collection agencies in my past, and brother let me tell you it was brutal. Everything the people in this forum have accused this debt collection agency of, was done to me by the debt collection agency who hounded me. Their methods have been around for longer than I've been alive. In fact it's because of the long standing abuses of debt collection agencies that THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT was created as an amendment to CONSUMER CREDIT PROTECTION ACT. Go to the following two sites and read about both.

THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT

Consumer Credit Protection Act

6500-200.html#6500tilaccpa

I had a perfect credit score and then through no fault of my own I was out of work with no income and no immediate prospects. Soon I was behind in my payments to my creditors. The first thing I did was wrong. I was looking at a financial crisis, into the abyss. I knew my credit was going to be ruined no matter what I did, and had a world of other horrors sure to come, within 3 months I would lose my home, my car, my spouse, my health, my mind, face two lawsuits, have to hire three attorneys, (only need two but caught one stealing my money so had to fire him and hire the third). So I did what most sane people would do I hid, I sunk into a deep depression, went into denial, and resigned myself to the fact that my life was over.

That was wrong, ... reasonable but wrong none the less, because at that time I didn't know there were some things I could do.
The second thing I did was right, I tried working with my creditors (not debt-collectors, Do not talk to them!), still I could have been more right had I known then what I learned later. I contacted my creditors and worked out smaller payments.

Now I was correct in my appraisal that I was to face ruin but still had I gone to my creditors first I might have delayed or outright avoided the debt collection agencies all together.
If things even look like you can expect financial problems I suggest you call your creditors beforehand. Don't wait, ASK NOW! Your creditors aren't going to magically offer reduced or no payments out of the blue. Call them and ASK for what you want. If you ASK the worst answer you can possibly get is NO.... but you just might get a YES!!! That applies to everthing in life too. I finally learned that.

ASK,... THE WORST POSSIBLE ANSWER IS NO.
... and I've gotten plenty of NO's, but I can't tell you the times I've asked when I used to never ask, and gotten a YES for an answer, which has blown my mind. This is one of those times. Ask your creditors going into AS LITTLE detail AS POSSIBLE, be as unspecific as you can to get a break in payments or reduced payments for as long as you can, hopefully the arrangement you negotiate here buys you time to regain your financial legs.

Tell them you have limited funds due to unforeseen events and you need to see if you can have , let's say, six months of payments stopped. Now they will probably balk at this but you don't want to negotiate from low to high, but rather high to low. They may want more detail. Give them only as much as you feel you have to. They will probably give you their standard speil and some standard offer.

Graciously accept whatever they offer. If its a reduced amount of payments for several months or a let you forego one months payments, say THANK YOU! Ask for an email or letter confirming this arrangement. If they send an email print a hard copy immediately. Whatever you get you are in a better position than you were and you're proactively lightening your load regardless of the final outcome. Make the journey as painless as possible.

Next you should buckle down! Even if you think you know there is relief down the road, all to often something happens, like another unexpected expense or money you were counting on gets delayed for a time. Cut off the cable, stop the dance classes, and karate school, sell the extra car, boat, anything you can seriously manage without, ANYTHING that will put money in your pocket. If you have children, remember your children are watching you and no matter how they complain, you may well be teaching them a survival skill. Talk to them and tell it straight. DO NOT negotiate; you're in charge. They may say they HATE you, but if they have to move into their new 1 bedroom cardboard box on the sidewalk, then they truely will disrespect your weakness in not doing what was right. You will get their respect earn self respect.
Also, seriously consider dropping life and health insurance.

If you live where there are free-clinics this too needs to be put on the table. If you're out of work you probably qualify for free-clinics and those insurance premiums which your company paid the lions share of will now be all yours. So the $30 to $60 you had coming out of your paycheck for group health insurance, might now be a COBRA payment of $500 a month.

Find ways to cut expenses. Contact agencies which can give you assisstance. The salvation army might qualify you for a months rent and a months utilities. There may be other agencies which can do the same. Where I live the Sa lvation Army paid one months rent and one months utilities and I found two other agencies, each covered one months utilities. There's AID FOR DEPENDANT CHILDREN and FOOD STAMPS.

Ask each agency and they may have a pre-printed list of agencies which provide any number of free services.
Regarding this issue of morality, jerks like Rick - Ft Lauderdale, Florida, Stephanie - Columbus, Ohio, and Bobbie - TOLEDO, Ohio, are being deceitful when they comment on a debtors morality. In truth their are using a tactic designed to make you feel guilt in order to get you to sned them money. They speak of Honor and consistantly for you to PAY YOUR DEBTS.

Again, in truth, they have zero concern as to your indebtedness except as it affects their ability to harrass and intimidate you into sending them money so they can increase their commission.

Don't talk to these inscrupulous vermin and never send them money. If you have the ability, with no self interest to protect, and decide you can pay all or some of your debt contact the creditor and make arrangements with your original creditor or go to an agency or attorney and have your payments handled though them acting on your behalf to avoid these debt collection agencies.

CHANGE YOUR PHONE NUMBER OR CUT OFF YOUR PHONE SERVICE AND GET A PRE PAID CELL PHONE. Even if you change your phone number and have the number unlisted these debt collection agencies have methods to get your new unlisted number. If you must get a new number but have it placed in a name other than yourself or any family member or person you listed as a reference on work or credit applications. If you are contacted by any debt collection agency tell them you can't talk right now, ask for them to call you back in a day or so. Then check the laws in your area regarding recording telephone conversations.

Some states allow you to record without notification and some require you to tell any party to a conversation that they are being recorded. Get an ANALOG TAPE RECORDER NEVER A DIGITAL RECORDER. Some courts do not allow digital recordings as evidence.
1. Prepare it so you can immediately start the recording if you receive a call.
2. Never identify yourself to a caller first! It's a good rule of thumb to get into the habit of never answering a callers inquiry of anyone they name , including yourself, as to if they may speak to that person. Proper phone ettiquette, and in this case by law, is for a caller to first identify themselves, then ask for the party with whom they wish to speak. In fact by law these debt collectors must identify themselves personally, and the name of their company. They are proscribed by law from stating to anyone other than the debtor that they are attempting to collect a debt, so you stop them cold in not identifying yourself.

Make sure it's a recorder that doesn't send a clicking sound to warn anyone they are being recorded., then and only if your state law requires, do you inform the party with whom you are conversing that you are recording the conversation. Most of these debt collectors are about to break many laws so they can torture a payment from you and if they know they are being recordered will not continue with their normal illegal activities once they know they are being recorded. If you are required by your state law to notify them they are being recorded and they say they do not give you permission to record the call, politely laugh in their face and HANG UP. They have just shot themselves in the foot.
3. Start your recorder.
4. Make them identify themselves.
5. Make them identify their company.
6. Ask them what this is in regards to.
7. Ask them if they are recording you.
8. Make them repeat their name, their company name, and the date and time, whom they are looking for, and what the matter to which they are inquiring relates to.... THEN, if you want to continue, you can identify yourself.
9. Read the THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT and if they have violated the law report they activity to the Attorney General in your local. Sue them, you have taped evidence. You are guaranteed a certain sum if the evidence proves they violated THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT. Not only this but you may become a party to a class action in the future. Generally the more eveidence you have gets you more more money in any settlement.

Quit worrying yourself, you can file for Bankruptcy as a final resort; Bankruptcy can eliminate or reduce your debt, depending under which Bankruptcy Chapter you file under, and completely stop any creditor or agency from ever calling you, your family, friends, or work again.

I am not giving legal advise, because I'm not a lawyer. Contact either a lawyer or an agency which can advise you as to whether what I have advised is legal. It's always best to have someone who knows best how to protect your legal rights to advise you. Be aware though that many of the so called credit repair agencies are shady and are there not to help you but line their pockets with your gold at the very time you are most financially vulnerable. Make sure the agency is legitimate. Contact places who can point you to agencies who are legitimate, free, or paid on a sliding scale.

My favorite recording to leave on my answering machine goes something like this:
Hi this is (identyfy the phone number not your name XXX-XXXX), no one is available to answer your call, if this is a friend or relative please leave your name and number after the tone, if this is in regards to a bill please leave your name and number after the dial tone.

LINDA...Advice Columnist?

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

Linda - You are right. You did not say you were running from a debt. My apologies.
What you did do is give the advice to others to run from their moral obligation.

You wrote:

And then some more great advice. You also wrote:

Greaaaaaatttttt Advice. Run from your debt. Don't fulfill your obligation as a citizen. Cost everyone else, including Steve, higher interest rates, membership fees, and other various repercussions AND then go buy a BOAT??? What a joke! So they can default and run again? At least now it would be secured debt. Then a repo man can skip them down, take it back in the middle of the night, embarrass them, and then listen to that same person come to a website and post how poorly and unfair they were treated. My lord..Give me strength.

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

Finally Steve! You admit the obvious. YOU USED CREDIT TO BUILD YOUR BUSINESS! Without that credit 20k in a month in revenue would have been IMPOSSIBLE.

Steve, I am not trying to battle here. Truly, I am not. What I am trying to do is make sure that the normal day to day consumer gets an unbiased opinion as to what is really happening out there in the credit world. Your posts come across as bitter. You are taking a situation that happened to you and judging the credit industry on that alone. Not everyone has had these same experiences. Again, on the average only 5% of a creditors portfolio is in collections. This is an extremely small percentage considering.

Steve, you have been a successful businessman. You have also been a cab driver and that makes you a well-rounded blue and white-collar worker. You have tasted success when the money was flowing and you have had to work your butt off for a dollar. You of all people should understand that credit is not going away. Good or bad it makes the world go around. Every company and individual MUST use credit. There is no way around it unless you are ridiculously rich. How many in the normal population fit in that category? Fact of the matter is this; if we do not teach the public to be more responsible the banks will always have the upper hand. The more the public spends the greater the risk. High risk means extreme terms and repercussions for defaulting on those terms. All of this is passed on to the consumer via higher interest rates and fees. It also means that the bank may HAVE to change terms at any time in order to protect their interest. You see this is not a penalty. It feels like one however, just like any business the creditors MUST protect themselves. Think about it. If you own a supply store and one of your customers has not paid on two invoices would you continue to extend him products on credit? NO. This is the way the world works and it is our job to teach the public and, more importantly, our youth. They are our future and credit is becoming a younger and younger game. I feel very strongly that credit should be a course taught in school. It is just as important as math, English, science, art, physical education or woodworking.

Steve, believe it or not we are not to far apart in that we both want to educate the public. I prefer to do it in a positive matter that is more conducive to a learning atmosphere. I prefer to refrain from insults such as crack smoking, bottom feeder, low life and ect. Bottom line is that these comments show bitterness and a kindergarten attitude that professionals should stay away from.

There are these consumer advocates out there teaching the world how horrible banks and creditors are instead of focusing on anything positive that these creditors have to offer.

Here is how I see it:

Just like me these consumer advocates get up in the morning and leave the house they are paying a mortgage on and drive to work in their financed car. Once at work, they are typing on a financed computer inside of a financed building. They then extend credit to their employer by working 40 hours a week and getting paid two weeks later. If your boss did not pay you for a month would you extend him credit and continue working? I doubt it.

Here's an idea. Lets work together to educate people on how to be responsible with their credit. People are jumping on your bandwagon Steve and their post show it. They are teaching people to run from credit, wait out the SOL, and avoid paying their debt. Instead, we should be showing them how to safely use their credit line, don't spend what they don't have, understand the terms of their contract and most importantly, be a responsible citizen. We are not going to beat the banks. Why not use them to our advantage?

Rick, Give it ip!

Rick,

Why are the banks the only ones who can change the rules? This goes both ways, as they found out!

And, if I would have refused the terms on those accounts, it would have closed the accounts, and lowered the available credit to zero which would have dropped my credit score to about 500-550 overnight as it would appear that all of my accounts were maxed out!

I bet you never considered that aspect, right?

Furthermore it really isn't any of your business why I had that much credit but I was engaged in a business startup and using my personal credit to establish business credit. It was seasonal, so during the good times I paid the accounts way down and during the slow time I ran them way up. I know that $200K sounds like alot to someone like you, but I made $15-20k per month in the good times, and sometimes more. Then there was the slow times of about $6k per month which only paid the minimums or just a little more. This is when they hit me with the interest rate changes, at the beginning of the slow time.

You can try to justify these greedy banks all you like, but I never take a take it or leave it attitude from anyone, as I don't have to.

What I did is power negotiating. They tried bending me over, so I bent them over.

I win.

Steve/Linda...AGAIN, you miss the point.

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

Steve, what you are referring to is a change in terms to the consumer agreement you had originally signed up for. What you are failing to acknowledge, a common theme for you, are the 100% true facts. You DID NOT pay this debt because you did'nt want to. Plain and simple. There are two ways a credtitor can change your terms.

#1. At anytime a bank may decide to change your terms without you defaulting in anyway. However, once the change has been made you will be notified and offered an option out which will close your account and lock in your original terms and conditions. As long as you do not default once you opt out than you have as long as you want to pay the card off at the original terms.

#2. A creditor may change your agreement, without notification, to the default terms if:

a. You are past due greater than 30 days.
b. You are over the credit limit via purchases OR accrued interest, which was not satisfied, prior to your new billing cycle. **Remember OL and PD fees are considered charges and are applied to your principle balance. These fees WILL put you over the limit and in default. There is no grace period to pay these charges as there is with the interest.
c. Behind with any other creditor OR due to high risk through evidence showing on your credit bureau. (This is not the complete list however)

There is no opt out offer made to a consumer in the event of a default as outlined above. This is normally where the problems begin. Accounts in default are expensive. Interest can increase, depending on state law, up to 32%+. A request is made that the balance in full be satisfied immediately. Refusing to do so can result in a judgment being pursued to ensure the account is satisfied one way or another.

That is where collections and purchased debt differ so very much. Remember, your beef is with those companies that buy debt aged greater than the state specific SOL. This debt is legal to collect on, and can be forever however, once the SOL has ran out the debtor has no real legal obligation to pay. That is where the threats and other tactics come into play. These companies have no ground to stand on so they make it up. They hope the uneducated consumer will pay without arming himself with the knowledge needed to fight these guys.

Again, I truly do believe that every consumer has a responsibility, both legally and morally, to satisfy any debt that they may have. If they so happen to fall into that 1-2% of consumers who find themselves in a TRUE hardship then the debt should be erased after a sufficient investigation and proof said hardship has been provided. This is what is normally considered acceptable loss. An inability to pay due to unforeseen, unintentional and often catastrophic reasons.

Debt buying is a business. Whether I agree with you on the terms of this business is irrelevant. I do not see all debt buyers as parasites. I think, just as with any type of business, there are extremist willing to do anything, including break the law, to feed their greed. Governing bodies cracking down on the offenders will fix that problem. We all just have to remember one important thing

We charged the debt at the terms we signed up for. If they change due to no fault of my own I can opt out and pay the card at its original terms. If they change due to my own negligence the repercussions are severe and swift. At the end of the day, I OWE THIS DEBT. If I am not the 1-2% of consumers in a catastrophic situation, I OWE THIS DEBT. 1 year, 3 years, 13 years later, I OWE THIS DEBT. MORALLY I OWE THIS DEBT.

Imagine a world of stand up people utilizing billions of dollars in credit lines and faithfully paying as agreed. It is 95 out of every 100 people. I feel proud to say that.
95 out of every 100 people. They get it. They understand the credit world. Good or bad, they get it. Not all collectors are bad peopleonly in the opinion of the other 5.

As far as predatory lending, get off the bus Steve. You had 200K in credit you claim. Why? Did you need it to live, build your life, build your business or were you irresponsible? If you had 200k in revolving credit and barely making your payments on maxed out limits it would be irresponsible for the creditor NOT to shut you off and change your terms. Dont let your irresponsibility cloud your comments...come true man!

In case there are those that cannot read between the lines, I am pro-credit. It plays a very important role in our everyday life. Without credit our lives would never have been the same. This world was built on credit and the 95 out of 100 stand up people who use it correctly and responsibly.

get a read out

AUTHOR: Sonya - (U.S.A.)

Not with this company but with another collection agency, I was sent to collection three times for a bill that was never to be charged. The last time the collection agency actually took it to court. The hospital bill was for 300.00 in therapy that my insurance refused to pay. I, thank God, have great insurance and anything the insurance refused, as long as I am in participating hospital they have to eat the bill. Everytime the hospital sent me a bill for this, I had to go over all the information to the same person.

A year would go by of calling and explaining then the collection would start. Explain to them. They said there is nothing they could do it was sent to them take it up with the hospital. It was dropped. It all happened again for the second time. Did the same thing. A year later here we go again for the third time. This time the hospital said to go ahead to court. When I got the court papers i was fuming. I have great credit and I always pay my bills when they come in. I had great notes with names dates and time of the calles for over three years. I called the highest up person in the hospital told them if they did not drop this lawsuit, I would countersue, and take it to the local newspapers.

A week later I got a dismissal, and a letter of apology and a letter stating from the hospital that I could take to explain that this was a mistake and the mark on my credit will be erased asap.

Credit companys need to check out the bills sent to them. The hospital kept changing the bill number to get it through. But the dates and charges were the same.

#31 Consumer Suggestion

Advice for Rick the collector regarding MORALS and bad debt

Rick,

Are you serious? What about the morals and ethics of these lenders? As soon as unsecured credit is offered responsibly, I will agree with you. However, responsibility goes both ways.

And, FYI. The STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS determines how long a debt can be legally collected, not morals. And, the federal law/FCRA determines how long it can be reported, not morals.

Now, you are telling us that debt collectors use morals and ethics when collecting? I hope this is not what you expect us to believe.

MORALS? Plleeaassse!

FYI. I never ran from anything, especially a debt collector. I simply told them to go straight to hell, and calmly walked away. All but 2 of my creditors got greedy and doubled and even tripled my low fixed rates for no other reason than the amount of credit I carried. I had the ability and willingness to pay, but would not be extorted. I had spotless credit for 14 years and a 735 credit score when I WALKED away. I tried to fix the problem with them for 2-3 months but they all gave me a take it or leave it attitude.

Were these the morals you were speaking of?

BTW, the 2 creditors that did not try raping me have been paid, 1 current, and 1 paid off. I used them to rebuild my credit.

#32 Consumer Suggestion

Response to Rick the Collector..You STILL need to learn how to read!

Rick,

You assume many things as things we "stated".

I never said I'm "running" from any debts.
I never said I am having problems with collectors.
What about the morals of the "creditors"
Etc.Etc.Etc.

I have no time or patience to go into all of it again as it is in several posts here on Rip Off Report already. However, I never STOLE anything from anyone, and I never INTENDED to defraud anyone. Therefore, nothing here has anything to do with morals on my part.

I had spotless credit and a 735 credit score with over $200k in credit and 34 accounts. I had never had a late payment on anything, and I had the willingness and ability to pay. HOWEVER,

All at once all but 2 creditors decided to drastically increase my interest rates, some doubled and even tripled overnight, all because of the amount of credit I carried, allegedly. Keep in mind I was in good standing on all accounts, and not paying just minimums on any account.

I called each creditor on numerous occasions over a 2-3 month period attempting to fix the problem. They all gave me a take it or leave it attitude, so I LEFT IT! They got burned ONLY because their own lack of morals, irresponsible lending practices, and greed and arrogance.

It's nice to know the facts before making assumptions.

Rick

AUTHOR: Linda - (U.S.A.)

Seems you did not read my post. I stated that I NEVER had an account with the collector. My name is pretty common which I think is why they choose to come after me for payment. Since I have never had an account with them I refuse to pay them. Your saying that I should? How fair or 'moral' is that?
please read the post and get your facts straight before judging others~!

"Steve and Linda where is your integrity?"

AUTHOR: Rick - (U.S.A.)

WOW?I have only one question. Where are your morals and integrity? To actually post that you would rather not be a good little citizen and repay your debt than wait it out 7 years?unbelievable. I am with you J. It is funny that Steve has refused to respond to my last post on 9-27. I said then that we all have a moral obligation to pay our debt. Why in the world anyone would feel they could use that credit card, hospital or cell phone and not have to repay the credit anyone of them so graciously extended is beyond me.

You all have this so backwards. You have lost the point somewhere between crack smoking insults and the FDCPA. Bottom line is?none of the crap matters. PAY YOUR BILLS. If a collector smokes crack?who cares? Make sure there is no need for collectors and PAY YOUR BILLS! If there are violations of the FDCPA?why is that?.Oh yea?YOU DIDN'T PAY YOUR BILLS!

Don't you guys get the point that I have made over and over again? Do you not see what ?J? is trying to say? Maybe this will sink in:

1. THERE ARE deadbeats who refuse to pay their obligation therefore creating a need for collections. Whether internally by the creditors, or through outsourcing, there is a need.
2. These deadbeats stand for 3% of the 5% of a creditors collection portfolio. The other 1-2% is legitimate hardships. Steve/Linda ? You have both said you are running from your debt. Steve ? you have even admitted to taking ?under the counter? jobs just to avoid paying your debt. Where do you two fall as responsible citizens? This shows a lack of integrity on both of your behalves.
3. If the American public would slow their greed, spend accordingly, and become more responsible we would have less and less of a need for collections therefore, eliminating the filth and promoting the good.

Steve ? You are right. Time will fix everything. That is not the question here. The questions is (and trust me, this will be my last attempt at reaching all of you):

In a world where we are all judged on our morals and integrity, and credit is granted based on the hard work you have put into your life, why run from your obligations? If you are a father not paying your child support obligation are you not a deadbeat? If buy a home or car and live beyond your means to ?keep up with the Jones? until it catches up with you and then complain because your in collections?.ARE YOU NOT A DEADBEAT? ?They did this to me? or ?I feel harassed??.this is all BS. You have a lack of integrity. Whether its 7 days late, 7 months, 7 years or 17 years, pay what you are morally obligated to and you do not have these problems. 9 times out of 10 you can show me what you think is a legitimate hardship preventing you from paying your debt and I will show you the work-around. Fact is, Steve and Linda listen close here, if you want something done almost each and every person can make that happen one way or another. You have all figured out a way to manipulate your finances to get that toy for your child, that great meal at a fine restaurant, that car you cant quite afford, or those $150.00 jeans that you think looked so good. If you found a way to buy these things you could have paid your existing bills. OR MAYBE, your finances were manipulated by not having the money for these things and using the credit you cannot repay. Why complain about collections?..just don't end up there. If something catastrophic happens that prevents you from paying your bills then prove it and have them dismissed, or better yet, pay them when you can!

We all need to realize that in a perfect world there is no debt. Unfortunately we are not in a perfect world and WE ARE ALL IN DEBT in one-way or another. WE ALL made an adult and conscious decision to use this credit therefore, WE ALL HAVE THE MORAL OBLIGATION TO REPAY IT!

Get beyond the senseless rhetoric posted above and get to the point:

At the end of the day, I OWE THIS DEBT. If I am not the 1-2% of consumers in a catastrophic situation, I OWE THIS DEBT. 1 year, 7 years, 17 years later, I OWE THIS DEBT. MORALLY I OWE THIS DEBT.

#35 Consumer Suggestion

More education for "J" the UCB collector

"J",

You are very good at calling other people ignorant, but it is you who knows very little of the things you speak of.

In many cases, a JUNK DEBT BUYER and a COLLECION AGENCY are one and the same. This is because MOST collection agencies buy debt portfolios to falsely inflate their bottom line and make their net worth appear larger, as they use the face value of the debts instead of the actual value or price paid.

I can buy several of these portfolios today for 1/4 to 1/10th of a penny on the dollar.

FYI.. MOST Junk Debt Buyers ARE COLLECTION AGENCIES.

So I guess the ignorance you spoke of begins at home in your cubicle at UCB.

The Bottom Line Is....

AUTHOR: Deana - (U.S.A.)

Collectors are nothing. CA's are not the original creditors so are therefore useless. Ultimately they are unimportant. Get them out of your hair, then pay the OC....better yet, pay the OC first then alert the CA's...that usually pisses them off!

My credit report? It's actually pretty good...

There is never a good time to deal with the puke stains at UCB.

All the collectors at UCB must be graduates of the Boyajian School of, "how to make your career as a collector short one".

I'd like to see the credit reports of 99% of the collectors who call and harangue people...bet they'd be mighty embarassed to be shown to the public as the "dead-beats" they claim their victims are!

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

I cant even bear to read the ignorance anymore, its just too much. But do yourselves a favor and look up the difference between a collection agency and a debt buyer ok? Maybe wikipedia would help you out on that.

what steve said:

"A charge off scores EXACTLY the same as a paid collection. The ONLY difference in the scoring between the two is the paid collection is recent, thus lowering your credit score more than the charge off."

is exactly my point...why would you want to pay a charge off account if it doesnt help you in any way? NEGATIVE IS NEGATIVE.

And as for your comment about a signed contract. What about the bottom feeders who hound you when the account isnt even yours? I have a credit report from 2003 that states I had an account with Empire Wireless since 1997, I have never had an account with them! Never even heard of them. Well the account was moved from collection agency to collection agency the last 9 years(this is what they do, JUNK DEBT BUYING) and when a new agency claimed it was a "new account" it lowed my score. Getting tons of calls from all of them I found this website and serveral other resources and was able to stop the calls and I was able to get the collection agencys off my credit report! My score has jumped almost 40 points because of this!!
So in your mind I am supposed to pay this account??...I dont find that very fair!

#44 Consumer Suggestion

Thanks to LINDA, and someReal advice for "J" the collector

Linda,

Thanks for the help. But only one clarification. The 7 year reporting time does not start over just by making a payment. Some states allow the extension of the 7 year rule only if the SOL was reset, and that is what is being reported. Another way the reporting can get extended past 7 years is if a NEW account was created through re-affirmation of the debt. An original debt, left alone, can only be reported for 7 years.

SOL is different in every state, and making a payment will reset the SOL for collections enforcement such as lawsuits, judgements and garnishment. SOL is different than 7 year FCRA reporting.

Now for "J",

I really love when someone as uneducated and illiterate attempt to slam me and correct me. You are truly a moron. I was very clear in my response, but you have marginal reading and comprehension ability, so I will make it simple for you.

First, I was in the mortgage business. I worked in both the wholesale and retail sides of the business. I was a loan officer for a conventional lender and also an originator for 3 loan brokers. I dealt directly with underwriter every day and have closed hundreds of loans. I know exactly how credit scoring works.

I'll make it simple so your little feeble debt collector cubicle confined crack smoking brain can get it.

Negative is Negative. Period. It makes no difference about ability or willingness to pay. The scoring is the same.

A charge off scores EXACTLY the same as a paid collection. The ONLY difference in the scoring between the two is the paid collection is recent, thus lowering your credit score more than the charge off. I made this clear in the previous post.

The only reason lenders make you pay off in stat collections, etc. is that they do not want liens filed on THEIR collateral. If you default on the loan and collectors have leins on the property, they have to be paid. It has nothing to do with helping your credit score, they are protecting themselves.

There is no reason to EVER speak to a debt collector on the phone as it will NEVER do anything positive for anyone but the collector.

There is no reason to ever pay a third party collector, as it will only hurt your credit score. Therefore all contact with collectors should be cut off entirely, as only about 5% of collections, or less ever go to court, and of those even fewer ever see even 1 cent if they do win in court.

The moral of the story is always just make the bottomfeeders spend the time and money to sue you, as most won't. That is a firm, verifiable statistic. Never ignore a summons. Have fun with it, then sue them when they lie, and/or falsify documents as they are sure to do.

So, "J" the collector, those are the facts. I guess "J" stands for JUNIOR, as I was in the mortgage business probably before you were born.

You know nothing, and you are illiterate. Get educated, put your crack pipe down and go back to your cubicle.

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

Is wrong with you people! OMG, between the lack of knowledge about the fdcpa, credit reporting, or anything else I think im gonna blow a friggin gasket.

"When a collection account on a credit report is not paid after a certain TIME (7 years) it will be DELETED off the credit report. This is what Steve meant by waiting time. Why would someone who has a collection account that only has 3 years left of the 7 years? If they did pay it then this would start the 7 years completely over and show as a 'paid collection' which is a 'negative' mark on their credit report instead of completly gone! (postive mark)"

Gone is neither positive or negative, its just not there. And unlike some peeps on these boards I can actually read. If you could read you might realize i was stating that paid collection is a less severe bad mark than unpaid.

"what would you do if you only had 3 more years to wait until a tradeline would be dropped from your report and this was the only 'negative' tradeline on your report? would you leave it alone and wait the 3 years when it completely drops off so you could finally buy that house, car, boat or whatever, or would you 'be a good little citizin' and pay the 4 year old collection and have to wait 7 YEARS before buying that house, boat or car??? hmmmm???

so please think before you type"

Ahh, where to begin, where to begin....Lets take the point i know from personal experience first. Most mortgage lenders will simply ask you to repay
the detremental item before getting you the loan, or they will work with you to get the item paid by incorporating it in the loan. Crazy huh? Maybe a slight increase in the intrest rate but thats about all that will happen. Keep in mind im not talking about a really large debt, say over 5 k, but some may even get that financed for you.

Second, why in the world do you want to have the account continue in the collections cyle? I mean really do you want calls every other day or so for years? Come on man,thats just silly. And if by good little citizin you mean someone who knows they signed the contract and tries to repay it, well yes i am, thanks.

And as to the "think" remark well.....

I think I signed the contract, I think I should at least TRY to repay it.

Thanks for playing.....

to help out a little bit

AUTHOR: Linda - (U.S.A.)

This is to help Steve out a bit more for further clairfication for you "J".

You wrote:
"And another factor is the severity and length of delinquency. But you neglect to mention THAT little piece of information. Guess it doesnt fit your argument.

and steve tried to tell you:
"I know exactly how credit scoring works. Paying a collection accout DOES hurt your score more than just letting it go. The main factor in credit scoring is how recent the activity is, positive or negative."

so here is my take on it:

you wrote:
"Paying the account indicates ability and willingness to pay. Again affecting your score."

you just didnt let people know the 'whole truth' j

so here it is "J"

so please think before you type

a collection agency has no right to harass us

AUTHOR: Charles - (U.S.A.)

A collection agency has no right to harass us! if they cannot accept our reason for not paying the by their requested date then they are not worth talking to. We all have rights not to be harassed! Collectors trying to harass us on this website! You try explaining things to them but they will not listen! They will not even accept our reason on this website! They will never listen! They do not care about anybody but themselves only! Just ignore these idiots! That will piss them off!.

Steveo...

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

Man you have some issues...But ill take care of it.

"J",

"If you have a 4 year old collection account and pay it, now you have a recent "paid collection". The paid collection and the open collection score exactly the same, negative."

Paying the account indicates ability and willingness to pay. Again affecting your score. If you dont like something dont mention it. Right steve??

"Time is the key to all credit scoring. That was my point. People think that paying a collection account removes it or makes it positive. It does NOT. A negative will always be a negative, and the only thing that removes it is time. The only thing that lessens the impact on your credit score is time."

Paying the account is less of a negative than leaving it unpaid. But hey youre batting a thousand, why stop now?

Steve - Bradenton, Florida

Rebuttal Consumer Suggestion
Submitted: 10/4/2006 7:06:18 AM Modified: 10/4/2006 7:06:18 AM

"Furthermore, "J" the collector is just mad I am educating people how to beat collectors!"

Just mad? LOL, no you give people bad info, thats my problem with you, if your gonna "educate" anyone start with yourself.

"J",

"I suggest you find a new line of work, because you are totally clueless as to how credit reporting works."

Again steve, go talk to a lender, see what they say to you about unpaid bills on your credit. You might be in for a shock. (Try going to a REAL mortgage lender for a home loan and see what they tell you about your collections..)

"You are really upset by my posts, because I educate people on how to avoid and/or beat bottomfeeders like you."

Again, bad info, makes me a little irritated but hey, weve all got pet peeves.

"The profile of a debt collector is a very scary one. Most collectors have a need for power as they were abused as children or something of the kind. They have a need to "get even". They enjoy terrorizing little old ladies and handicapped people from the safety of their cubicle while hiding behind a phone."

LOL, youve got issues man. Maybe you were abused but..I dont know you and i dont presume to know anything about you other than the fact that you seem ignorant.

"Collectors speak to people behind the safety of the phone and being anonymous, when they would never speak to anyone like that face to face."

Hmm, I try to be as eloquent and intelligent as I can both on the phone and off and I try to speak to everyone that way, but hey, you must be used to dealing with people just like you.

"Collectors are usually on some sort of power trip, they have a need for control, and when someone like me takes away that power and control, people like "J" get on the defensive in an attempt to regain control."

Whatever man, I just want to obey the law and try to get you to pay your bill, if you dont want to I move on. Because the next call will pay me.

"The truth is, collectors are ABSOLUTELY POWERLESS, and you should NEVER speak to a collector on the phone, and you should NEVER pay a collector. These are absolute proven facts that all effective consumer advocates agree on."

Riiiight, just keep the account in the collections cycle forever, just keep letting them call you forever. That sounds like a truly intelligent idea. If youre like steve.

"Make them accountable so you can sue them and even prosecute them. That is why you only communicate with a collector in writing, and by certified mail, return reciept requested."

And it comes shining through, the ignorance that is. Steve, if a collector violates, 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of the time that person/company will ONLY be liable under federal and or state statues and NOT under criminal ones. Did you ever hear of a collector being arrested for things they said on the phone? No. Did you ever hear of a collector being criminally prosecuted and not in civil court but criminal court? No. Theres a reason for that steveo... And i absolutely love the misconceptions about certified mail with return receipt, all that means if you get the receipt is someone signed for it. Does the letter mean any more? No. Does it mean they didnt get a laugh out of it and then shred it? No.

"Think about it, if the collector could actually do something, they would have no need to speak to you, they would just do it, right? They need to speak to you so they can lie to you, trick you, intimidate you into validating a debt they cannot validate without your help."

Steve, my man, youve got some serious misconceptions about how LAW ABIDING collections agencies work. We want to talk to you to get you to pay the bill to make our client happy, and well work with you to try to get that done. Thats it! Lying, tricking people and intimidation are ALL violations of the fdcpa and state laws usually as well. NO INTELLIGENT COLLECTOR is going to risk his livelyhood to lie to you or whomever to get you to pay your 70.00 cable bill, or your 7,000$ dollar loan. Its just not worth it.

On a small side note the agency i used to work for had a 10 person legal department whose purposes were to work with people if possible, and if not to obtain judgement if an asset was present and execute on that judgement.

"STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!"

Sure pay it by mail, that way its done and out of your hair. Best suggestion ive seen from you.

STEVE, STEVE, STEVE

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

IM GUESSING ONCE AGAIN THAT YOU DONT PAY ANY BILLS AND MOST LIKLEY ARE IN COLLECTIONS RIGHT NOW, SINCE IT SEEMS ALL YOU DO ALL DAY IS WRIGHT ABOUT HOW HORRIBLE COLLECTION AGENCIES ARE. THE SIMPLE FACT IS "PAY YOUR BILLS LIKE AN ADULT IS SAPOSED TO" AND YOU WONT BE IN COLLECTIONS AND WOULDNT HAVE US CALLING. NO EXCUSES, NO "IM NOT WORKING", OR " I JUST HAD A BABY" OR " I JUST GOT OUT OF THE HOSPITAL" IT DONT MATTER NONE OF IT MATTERS. WE ALL HAVE TO PAY TO LIVE IN HOME, HAVE FOOD, HAVE ELECTRICITY, HAVE HEAT ECT.. SO WHY NOT PAY FOR ALL YOUR OTHER NEEDS LIKE THE REST OF US DO.. THAT GOES TO ALL PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY DONT NEED TO PAY THERE BILLS. GET A LIFE AND GET A JOB LIKE THE REST OF US AMERICANS DO.

#50 Consumer Suggestion

STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!

#51 Consumer Suggestion

Info for "J", I used to be a Mortgage Broker and loan Officer

"J",

I missed one little thing

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

"it will now show as a PAID COLLECTION which scores the same as a charge off, but now is more recent."

Ugh, a little logic nips this one in the bud. A paid collection is a PAID account which means that instead of it being delinquent anymore it has been resolved. Wheras charge off means the creditor has written the account off as bad debt. And if recency had anything to do with anything why would creditors and bureaus make such a big deal about reporting days delinquent? Credit reports steve, are for the benefit of creditors and were created by them in order to assist in judging how bad a credit risk a person is, and part of that risk assessment is looking at how long a person hasnt paid their bills.

The Worst

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

Man this thread has turned from a legitimate complaint about the tactics of a collector who probably violated the law, into an ignorant rant from the worst on both sides of the debt collection issue.

You ALL need to educate yourselves.

To my "friends" at ucb. THE FDCPA IS NOT A FRIGGIN GUIDELINE! ITS THE LAW AND IT REQUIRES YOUR OBIDIENCE!! Having been a collector for ten years it disgusted me when not one but TWO of your collectors violated the fdcpa on my voicemail. ON THE SAME DAY!!! But the best part is when I called your agency and you guys violated state law as well. The FDCPA is not rocket science, you dont lie, insult, misrepresnt, or harass and youll generally be ok, but apparently that was difficult for two of your collectors to understand. Breaking the law is bad, breaking the law on a voicemail, is really bad, but breaking the law on the voicemail of a guy who has been doing collections for most of ten years..Priceless.

To steve and all the people on the other side, my first suggestion would be to go and check with a loan officer and just see what gets you the lower rate, a paid collection or an unpaid collection. and as for paying not stopping collections calls, well, i dont work for ucb there so god knows what they do, but I know wherever I worked we sent pif letters and didnt bother the people again. You guys also might want to look up the difference between civil and credit statutes of limitations. It will shock you to reailize that in some states you can be collected on years after the credit statute expires. You can even be called after the civil statute expired the agency just cant do anything involuntary.

When I have to contact individuals I try to work out what they can really do with them, I dont mock them, insult them or any of that nonsense, but Ive got to be honest, when i get off the phone with guys like steve here, I laugh. A lot.

#54 Consumer Suggestion

Response to Bobbie the collector, You might want to get educated first

Bobbie,

If you actually knew anything about credit scoring you would understand my post.

Paying on an old collection account actually hurts a persons credit score much more than just letting it go past SOL. You see, on a negative item, the score is worse the more recent it is.

AND, paying the collection just shows on your credit file as a paid collection. It does not remove it from your file or make it a positive. It is still a negative equal to the collection for scoring purposes.

FYI Paying a collector is not the only way to get rid of them. I have never paid any collector, and have gotten rid of all of them. I have never paid a dime and I have no judgements on me at all. It is now 5 years and past the legal SOL.

So, what exactly was your point? Ignorant jibberish? I think not. My performance speaks for itself. I have nothing to prove to you.

Huh?

AUTHOR: Kendel - (U.S.A.)

I have a question for Bobby, the employee!

How does anyone know that you're African-American when you're attempting to collect a debt by phone?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? Debt Collection Agencies prey on people when they are most vunerable. You and people like you justify and enjoy kicking people when they are already down. You get some sick pleasure from verbally hammering consumers who would much rather pay the bill if they could than take another one of your vicious calls. Constant calls, presumptuous allegations and despicable assertions do not magically create the ability to crap out dollar bills.

Although I do not agree with the use of the "N" word at anytime, I have to say to you, how does that medicine taste? After all, it's nothing personal, right?

Need some advice, Bobbie

AUTHOR: Kim - (U.S.A.)

I've been dealing with your company for a couple of weeks now and I'm completely frustrated. I have a spotless credit record, always pay my bills on time, but had my name forwarded to UCB because of a billing error by Verizon (not only was the charge in error, but they mailed it to the wrong address so I couldn't dispute it). Verizon has admitted the mistake was theirs and has said they will be contacting UCB, but in the meantime I'm getting harrassing phone calls from your company on a daily basis. Two of your collectors refused to give their names, so now I've had to resort to taping the phone conversations. What's humorous is that today when I let the unnamed black female collector (was it by chance you, Bobbie?) know that I was taping the conversation, she informed me that she didn't give her consent to be taped but that she was taping our conversation. I'm sending out a "cease and desist" letter tomorrow, so hopefully that will work. If not, I look forward to reporting UBC to the state Attorney General and the Federal Trade Commission.

So what more do I need to do, Bobbie? This whole thing is Verizon's fault, by their own admission and they have sent a letter stating as much to UCB. Can you imagine how annoying it is having you and your co-workers calling me on a daily basis telling me I'm a liar and a deadbeat and insisting I send money for a bill I don't owe or they'll ruin my credit? I won't hold my breath waiting for an apology from UBC.

It didn't take long for someone to prove my point, Thanx, Deana

AUTHOR: Bobbie - (U.S.A.)

Here is a perfect example of the type of person I mention in my last rebuttle. The type of person who thinks its a joke that they're in collections and find it humerous to argue with a debt collector and think they're getting over.

Here's the skinny, mate... within ten seconds of hanging up with an irrate debtor, I will be on the phone with another one. I am African-American, and you wouldn't believe how many times I get called the "N" word in a normal business day. So you have to learn to let those type of people, and the ignorant things they say, role off of your back. The point I'm getting at is, yeah Deana, you might get a kick out of a little three minute battle of whits, but at the end of the conversation you still in debt, you still have a charge off on your credit, and, the biggest nail in the coffin, I will call you again in a couple of days and get paid for it.

In closing, so what if, every now and then, you get the best of a debt collector, Deana, because one minute after the hang up, I wont even remember your name...so have fun.

#58 Consumer Suggestion

Bobby,

Do you really believe that jibberish you are spewing? Do you really think that the only way to stop collections is to pay? You are a moron, like most collectors. I have shut down every collections attempt and lawuit over the past 5 years, and now am past SOL on all except one debt, and have not paid 1 dime to any of them. Why is that?

Furthermore, paying an old collection account will HURT the debtors credit. The more recent a negative is, the more damage it does. Furthermore, the payment WILL NOT remove the negative, it will now show as a PAID COLLECTION which scores the same as a charge off, but now is more recent. Do you really think you understand credit scoring? I'll bet you have no idea how it works based on that comment.

You are the typical uneducated debt collector that will come on here for a week or two, then we will never hear from you again after you get fired.

Bobby,You wrote:

To Steve

"It never does the debtor any good to pay a third party collection agency"? Steve, what kind of ignorant gibberish is that? First, it will stop all collection, which it seems everyone's getting bent out of shape about. Secondly, it will show "paid" on their credit, as opposed to a charge off. And, in my opinion, most importantly, be a person of your word".

Granted, there ARE legitimate reasons why people CAN'T (not won't) pay their bills, but for every person that CAN'T, there are hundreds of others that can and use the excuses of the uncapable to get around paying. So yes I, personally, will use all the tools and strategies know to me to collect from those people. To the people who get their feelings hurt in the process...Be a big boy and suck it up. Nothing personal.

Bobbie - TOLEDO, Ohio
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bobby, if you know so much, how come you fools couldnt collect from me? You tried TWICE and each time I STOPPED YOU COLD in a week.

Also keep in mind that the individual collector can be sued and prosecuted individually, as well as the agency. I always file suit on the collector. Do you think your company will defend you? NO! They will fire you. Then you are unemployed, defending against my lawsuit.

Thats how the real world works junior. Learn the game before attempting to put me down or "eduacate" me.

Bobbie, I want to thank you....

AUTHOR: Deana - (U.S.A.)

From the bottom of my poverty stricken heart, I must express my appreciation to you and all the debt collectors across the country.

Yes, I am quickly becoming a self-taught expert on how to cut you debt collectors off at the knees! I would rather never have another penny of credit again than give you tape worms one thin dime. Thank God their are sites like my very favorite consumer advocate, Mr. Hibbs has...

You are so full of it I have to laugh. Oh sure, you sound so reasonable, but you and all others like you have a field day when you are behind your phones.

I beat them, though....I look at it collectively...so consider yourself whipped! By a girl even! One that you harrassed most likely....teehee....You and your crones will never be able to contact me ever again...

I wish you all the joy you have brought to people over time.....See ya sucker!

To Steve

AUTHOR: Bobbie - (U.S.A.)

"It never does the debtor any good to pay a third party collection agency"? Steve, what kind of ignorant gibberish is that? First, it will stop all collection, which it seems everyone's getting bent out of shape about. Secondly, it will show "paid" on their credit, as opposed to a charge off. And, in my opinion, most importantly, be a person of your word.

#61 Consumer Suggestion

Response and advice to Bobby the UCB Collector..

Bobby,

That is the typical debt collector BS I would expect. However, that is not the way it works. Many people have legitimate reasons for not paying debts, however once it is assigned to a third party collector, paying it will never do anything for the debtor, therefore there is no reason to pay it.

Paying that debt in collections will just show as a paid collection, which is still a negative, but now the 7 years negative reporting starts all over again.

If the original creditor wanted to get paid, they would have worked something out instead of turning it over to collections.

When creditors start practicing responsible lending of unsecured credit, I will then feel sorry for them losing thier money.

There is no reason for anyone to communicate with a third party collector. It will never do anything positive for the debtor. You are not customer service. You are bloodsucking parasites who only care about your commission and do whatever it takes to get it, even breaking the law.

Think about it, if the debt is valid and you have the right to collect it, why are the phone calls needed? Just send one letter, then file the lawsuit. No harassment required.

What about when the Third party collection agency has wrong information?

AUTHOR: Janice - (U.S.A.)

I work for a credit card company and I know that it is necessary sometimes in taking stronger measures to collect a debt when a customer is trying to avoid that. I know that we will also work with that customer during hardship and do whatever we can to bring the account current and assist. However its not a perfect system and yes it involves constant communication between the customer and the company. I waive fees on a daily basis, update credit reports and resolve customer issues. It can be done.

You don't want these barracudas after you and the thing that upsets me the most, is seeing the many notes on an account where the customer has called many times and tried to work with us and then they the third party collection agencies get a hold of them and ruin all the communication we have built to collect our debt.

The one that really upsets me and I have seen this one alot lately is when the collection agency starts harassing customers that do not even have an account with us, simply because that person has the same name. I get to take those calls and have to let those customers vent at me, simply because the third party agency is ruthless, rude and I personally do not think that is necessary. Even in bill collecting we can have some dignity and professionalism in our job. Ever heard you catch more flies with honey? Actually it works I demonstrate this everyday with our customers. And just maybe you have the wrong information.... At least check out the facts. I do.

I agree you do a job. But, sometimes their are facts that are not what they seem and you do more to ruin a companies name than to help anyone in collecting a debt.

What about when the Third party collection agency has wrong information?

AUTHOR: Janice - (U.S.A.)

I work for a credit card company and I know that it is necessary sometimes in taking stronger measures to pay a debt when a customer is trying to avoid that. I know that we will also work with that customer during hardship and do whatever we can to bring the account current and assist. However its not a perfect system and yes it involves constant communication between the customer and the company. I waive fees on a daily basis, update credit reports and resolve customer issues. It can be done.

The one that really upsets me and I have seen this one alot lately is when the collection agency starts harassing customers that do not even have an account with us, simply because that person has the same name. I get to take those calls and have to let those customers vent at me, simply because the third party agency is ruthless, rude and I personally do not think that is necessary. Even in bill collecting we can have some dignity and professionalism in our job. Ever heard you catch more flies with honey? Actually it works I demonstrate this everyday with our customers. And just maybe you have the wrong information. At least check out the facts. I do.

I agree you do a job. But, sometimes there are facts that are not what they seem and you do more to ruin a companies name than to help anyone in collecting a debt.

WHY NOT JUST PAY YOUR BILLS?

AUTHOR: Bobbie - (U.S.A.)

I am an employee of UCB and i stumbled onto this "UCB is a rip off" thing and I've read a few complaints and if you have a problem with UCB calling and "harrassing" you, why not pay your bills. I am on the phones all day with people that will lie, curse, and swear up and down that there were "screwed" by the client when in fact they cheated themsleves by agreeing to terms and conditions that, either one, they didn't understand, or two, they didn't even read. And thats not the clients fault. We are all adults. If you didn't understand you shouldn't have agreed to the terms. It is not the clients job to hold the debtors hand.

And as far as illegal practices, pay attentin to detail. Its not what you say its how you say it. Just because you were told that UCB was going to verify employment dosen't mean your wadges wll be garnished, if thats how you take it, thats your own fault. Anyone can verify your employment. Just like debtors have there way of avoiding us, we have our way of getting your attention. The only difference is were trained.

In closing, if your tired of UCB calling you, and your family, and your friends, and your job...then simply pay your bills. Where's the honor?

I am a victim also

AUTHOR: Tiffany - (U.S.A.)

I received a phone call from my aunt because she had a message for me. A company called her wanting to speak to myself or my mom because they had good news for me. I needed to call them back as soon as possible. I then called back and found out it was UCB. They said that they had good news where I owed my creditor and had to pay that same day or they would have to take it to litgation the next day. They wanted $500.00 a month and that was the only way that I can pay my debt was through them. I informed them that I was still getting mail from my creditor in the mail. And then I asked why they called my Aunts house and my creditor has all of my contact information.

I later that day received a message that was sent through my mom from uncle that moved to Texas and has an unlisted number. They called him and said they were attorneys looking for me to settle some debt. I again called UCB and asked why they were spreading my business all over the country and why they were not calling me instead of family members. I asked why they could not send me anything in the mail, and how do I know that they are real? She told me not to worry about just get out my checkbook and take care of this today. If anyone is ready to pursue this please count me in.

#66 Consumer Suggestion

UCB violated with that note

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

The message left with the neighbor that resulted in the note on the screen door was a blatant violation of the FDCPA.

It is only allowable to contact a third party ONE time, and ONLY in an effort to determine the whereabouts of the debtor.

It IS ILLEGAL to in any way indicate that you are a debt collector.

To the "employeee" of UCB: Have you ever actually read the FDCPA? Do you even know how to read?

Probably not, as that is why you are working as a collector for a bottom feeder like UCB.

#67 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Jalon - (U.S.A.)

I am an x-employee name Jay Torres I used to work there until they fired me cause of someoe in the building. i was threaten for my life and united collection bureau did nothing now i am willing to testify of all the illeagal practices that goes on, there are even cameras in the building that shows proof of illegal activity.I can tell you things that really goes on i am willing to testify the truth on united collection bureau for what ever needs to be done i have tapes and video that proof there coruption so if anyone wants to join me in this case i'm building against an evil organization.
You can reach me at dvsly12b@yahoo.com, we together as a witness i am willing to bring justice to the american people and serve what is right. This company is wrong and evil. someone please contact me. 561-541-8468.Let justice be served to the wrong.I to have broken the law and willing to testify for what is right.

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

How about all the people you threaten and harrass that havent and probably never will do business with your "clients"? You apparently have someone on your collection rolls that has a similar name to me and I get the same treatment as them. Most of the attempts by me to clear this up end the same way...a quick hang up and another call two weeks later with a message demanding I call you to settle "my" debt.

#72 Consumer Suggestion

I have a tape of UCB debt collectors abuse and lies

AUTHOR: Tracy - (U.S.A.)

I too am a victim of UCBs fdcpa violations by thier debt collectors. I have the tape of the voice message "jim" left me trying to scare me with "this is in reference to a lawsuit being filed against you and i need to talk to you about it." I am filing a suit of my own,. If anyone has proof of the violations UCB did to you, email me at sweet__melissa2@hotmail.com. I would be interested in talking to you as a class action suit gets more attention than a individual one.

#73 Consumer Suggestion

Introducing Elmer To The Real World

AUTHOR: S.n. - (U.S.A.)

I recently got copies of my credit report just because you can (one copy from each CRA free each year). I have accounts that aren't mine, addresses where I have never lived, employers where I have never worked. Don't think for one minute that bottom feeding collection agencies don't latch on to people just because they can. It happens every day. It is very important to know your rights and to fight for them.

AUTHOR: Elmer - (U.S.A.)

A bit of advice. The key is: Make sure you pay your bills. Even if it's a dollar. Just make some effort in paying them. Make sure you pay ON TIME!!!!

The reason for so many bad credit reports is the lack of paying your bills ON TIME! They cannot come after you if you make an effort in paying them.

#78 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Problems with United collections bureau originating from Southshore Hospital

AUTHOR: Rich - (U.S.A.)

Kristy, Your not alone! United collection bureau is bad enough to deal with and cannot or will not handle any case with professionalism,let alone do their own job right. As a matter of fact, it will be easier to let an attorney handle the matter.

Collection Agencies are like this!

AUTHOR: Helen - (U.S.A.)

The reason they get away with it is because too many consumers are not aware of their rights! They are too afraid to go against the agencies and so they continue to get away with it!

Be aware of your rights!

#80 Consumer Suggestion

Are you for real?

AUTHOR: Bob - (U.S.A.)

Collection Agency litigation is rampant in this country because collection agencies:

Threaten lawsuits when they have no intention of filing or have no right to file;

Threaten jail;

Threaten repossion of property they have no legal right to repossess;

Add on fees for which the law does not allow;

Call at odd hours of the night;

Send letters to family or friends telling them that the debtor is a deadbeat.

There is much much more and it is a great money maker for attorneys.

AUTHOR: Kristy - (U.S.A.)

They did the same thing to me too Karen. I got a court juggment in the mail forwarded from a prior address that I hadn't lived at in 6 months saying I never showed up for court and a judgment was awarded against me. I called the lawyer that was listed on the judgment and it came to the phone service saying that it was an attempt to collect a debt.

The lady I ended up talking to told me they served me personally. I laughed and said thats hard to believe because I havent lived at that address for 6 months. How can a collection company be awarded a judgment like this? I also recieved a letter in the mail they are trying to garnish my income tax refund. It said they were suppose to notify me within 14 days and they didnt notify me until February. They filed in December for the garnishment.

How do these companys get away with this crap??? The items they went after me for was for 2 medical bills from the hospital from when I had my son. I think something should be done about this company obviously they are not practicing ethical and legal laws.

AUTHOR: Phyllis - (U.S.A.)

I have been an employee of United Collections Bureau for over a year. I have to say that we follow the guidelines set by the Federal Government very carefully. I won't lie and say that some collectors have not violated it at one point or another, but our Management team is very hard on them and some collectors have even lost their job.

This is not an easy job to do. We are trying to collect money from people that try their best to avoid us. Leaving messages with neighbors or calling relatives is our only way of getting the Debtors to call us back. It's not fun getting hanged up on all day or getting cursed out either, but we show up to work and do our best.

Each person we are trying to collect money from signed an agreement with the Credit Card Company letting them know that if they default on their agreement, collection acts will begin. We are just trying to fulfill the obligation of the person who signed that agreement.

We know that people have rough times in their lives and that things just go wrong, and most of us care enough to work with you. Don't be afraid to face your debts head on, and don't think every collection agency is a fraud. Just make sure if you make an arrangement that you can get it in writing and just call us back. Believe it or not, we are here to help.

AUTHOR: Phyllis - (U.S.A.)

Don't pay them a dime until....

AUTHOR: Kathy - (U.S.A.)

Your best bet is to research the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Did the note they left on the screen door indicate they were a collection agency? If so...they violated federal law. Did they indulge any information to the neighbor such as they were debt collectors trying to track you down? If so..they violated the federal law again. May I ask how old this debt is? If it is over 7 years old the statute of limitations may have expired for any legal action to ensue. Research both the federal laws AND the state law of where the debt was incurred.

I have had experience with this company and I know how they operate. They will break the law and make unfulfilled promises just to get you to send them as little as a dollar bill toward the debt. Don't send them a thing until you educate yourself as to what FAIR debt collection practices you are entitled to. Visit the Federal Trade Commission's website at www.FTC.org for information regarding this federal law and also your library! Good Luck!

P.S. To Stephanie from UCB...learn how to spell. If you are going to rebutt on behalf of your company please learn the proper use of the words "to" and "too".

We are not con-artists

AUTHOR: Stephanie - (U.S.A.)

When I read the con-artist report on UCB I was astonished. We are doing a job that most people would rather not do. If the person in the mentioned report had contacted us at a 1-800 # we wouldn't have had to go too such lengths to try to contact them. Regardless of the persons situation, if we had been able to locate them using different methods we wouldn't have had to do so much of the "searching" them out. If the person had a debt that was owed to one of our clients then they should've paid the bill instead of hiding from the issue. People need to be more responsible and communicate to their debtors when they have a crisis. As a collector, we hear every excuse in the world. Just because someone is a victim of violence or any other problem, that's not our problem. Our job is too collect a debt which is owed. If they would've called in the first place maybe we could've helped he or she out!!!!