Complaint Review: United Health Care

• Updated: Mon, July 14, 2014

• Reported By: Dee — Greeneville Tennessee
United Health Care
Nationwide USA

United Health Care AARP Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans Ripped Off For 3 years Paying For Insurance When Not On Medicare Nationwide

*Author of original report: AARP Medi-Gap Ins

*Consumer Comment: Here's from their website...

*Consumer Comment: You are either unable to read or comprehend the words you have written...

This company United Healthcare sold me a Medicare-Medigap coverage for

$13.50 monthly  for 3 years, starting in the state of Indiana, which I later moved to Tennessee, and  discovered this insurance is  useless unless your already receiving Medicare  which I am NOT; I purchased the insurance  feeling that I would have  this coverage already in place once I did receive Medicare, since I am disabled.  After doing some checking, I discovered  this coverage  is  not  at all what it claims- I cancelled  coverage, and  did  not receive  ANY refund of the premiums I paid  into this plan, even though AARP and United health Care were well aware of my  age at the  time I took  out  the  coverage, which I might add  there was never any mention that it was  necessarry  to be  on Medicare  in order to  obtain coverage. I discovered  this insurance was  worthless  after an ER visit  in 2012 before I moved. AARP  nor  United Healthcare  bothered  to  refund  any  monies  I paid  in, they just  sign  up  anyone  and  take  your  money. Had  this  company  been  up front  with  their  requirements, I would  not have  purchased  it; I planned  to  possiblty  be  ahead  of  things  with  having  this  in  place  when I do go  on Medicare, however, I became disgusted  with lack of response  that I had  paid  for insurance the  company had  no right  to accept  my  application as I was  not  on Medicare; All they did was  send  a  sorry  to  see  you  go  letter, & kept  the  money; I would tell  anyone  to  not  bother  with  this  company, they pay  nothing, and  those I have  spoken  to  who  are  on Medicare  have  said  the  same. It  is  inexpensive, because  you  have  little  to  no  coverage. Would  have  been  professional  if  the  company  had  stated  I was  uninsurable due to  not being on Medicare, rather  than  take  my  money;

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/23/2014 12:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Health-Care-/nationwide/United-Health-Care-AARP-Medicare-Supplement-Insurance-Plans-Ripped-Off-For-3-years-Pay-1156846. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Health Care

AARP Medi-Gap Ins

AUTHOR: Dee - ()

Very simply: they should have ASKED if I was on Medicare, what my  # was or is, and other  questions, which they  did not.

I was 60 at the time,  and from the  materials  I received, it did not state I HAD to be on Medicare to be insured-  therefore  in my opinion, the  company misleads  people  by  not  stating  the specifics,  and  asking  questions  that  would  exclude  individuals  from  being  insured  when  it  is  obvious, I should  have  had my  application  denied.

I really  do  not  think  your  understanding  the  situation,  but  that's  fine.

Here's from their website...

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

Glossary of Terms

Medicare supplement insurance plans: insurance that you buy from a private insurance company that pays for some or all of the cost sharing in Medicare Parts A and B coverage. Medicare supplement insurance is available in up to 10 standardized insurance plans. Each plan is named with a letter of the alphabet. In Massachusetts, Minnesota and Wisconsin there are different standardized plan options available

Again, this is ALL on you.  No Ripoff here.

BTW, I don't work for UHC or AARP.

You are either unable to read or comprehend the words you have written...

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

"This company United Healthcare sold me a Medicare-Medigap coverage for

$13.50 monthly  for 3 years,"

"I purchased the insurance  feeling that I would have  this coverage already in place once I did receive Medicare, since I am disabled. "

The policy, you stated, was  "Medicare-Medigap coverage"..What in the world did you think it was for.

"Would  have  been  professional  if  the  company  had  stated  I was  uninsurable due to  not being on Medicare, rather  than  take  my  money; "

How in the world would they know you weren't on medicare?  People under 65 get medicare for serious medical conditions all the time.  It looks like this one's all on you...NOT UHC.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC