Complaint Review: United Healthcare Medicare rx

• Updated: Thu, June 13, 2013

• Reported By: ejhuff — JOHNSTOWN Pennsylvania
United Healthcare Medicare rx
Internet USA

AARP/United Healthcare Medicare Rx Plan First month premium ripoff racket Internet

*Author of original report: @Sandy

*UPDATE Employee ..inside information: Premium Refunds

*Author of original report: What part of "all payments due to date" do you not understand?

*Author of original report: @Dan: UHC will not give a refund

*General Comment: Premiums by SSA Deductions

UHC has a pretty nice racket going collecting one extra month's premium from every new member who specifies (during initial enrollment) payment by deduction from Social Security check. Note these facts: First, Social Security checks for January arrive in late February. This in spite of the fact that the check paid in January includes the COLA amount. Benefits earned by being alive during December include the COLA for the next year and are paid in late January. For example, I received a letter from SSA which includes the phrase "...the check you will receive for February 2013 on or about March 27, 2013."

Second, the December check could not possibly contain a deduction for the January part D premium because enrollment is open until Dec 7. Third, any deducted premium is paid to UHC early in the next month. Thus, the premium for January is deducted from the check containing the benefits earned by being alive in January. That check is paid late February. The premium is forwarded in early March. Fourth, Social Security sends a letter which states unequivocally that the first deduction covers all premium payments due.

My letter states "This represents all Medicare prescription drug plan costs due to date." UHC wants payment in advance, but they also want to accept SSA deductions. They can't have both. But they seem to be getting both, by billing all of their new clients for an extra month. After I switch to a different plan next year, I will be calling UHC in early March asking them to give me my overpayment back. I expect they will do so because they will have just received the premium for December 2013 and will see that I have made 13 payments but I don't owe for January because I will have quit doing business with such a dishonest company. Also I don't see any other way of convincing them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/13/2013 03:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Healthcare-Medicare-rx-/internet/AARPUnited-Healthcare-Medicare-Rx-Plan-First-month-premium-ripoff-racket-Internet-1058776. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Healthcare Medicare rx

@Sandy

AUTHOR: ejhuff - ()

@Sandy, My premiums are deducted, but I also made one payment.  SSA has no way of knowing about the payment I made directly to UHC.  I will ask for the payment history in writing but the problem is SSA pays the January premium in early March.  (Everyone's January benefits are paid late February).  As I said before.  UHC claims the January payment from SSA received early March is for the February premium.  As I said before.  SSA says very clearly in writing that that payment is for January.  UHC is scamming _everyone_ out of one month's premium.

#2 UPDATE Employee ..inside information

Premium Refunds

AUTHOR: Sandy - ()

If the premiums for your RX plan are paid only up to the current month of your enrollment, there is nothing to refund. If your premiums are deducted from Social Security, any overpayment of premiums would be auto refunded by them, not your plan. You may call the member services number on the back of your ID card to request a written payment history to verify your premium payments.

What part of "all payments due to date" do you not understand?

AUTHOR: ejhuff - ()

The social security administration sent me a letter stating that they paid all premiums due to date.  What part of that is so hard to understand?  SSA knows which month their payments were supposed to apply to.  UHC believes SSA does not know what month the payments apply to.  Who knows better?  My premium was deducted from my January benefit.  UHC credited it to my February premium.  Thats all there is to it.  It happened to my wife in exactly the same way.  Thus, it probably happens to everyone.

This will be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt early next February when SSA pays UHC my December premium, after I switch to a different plan.  That will represent the 13th premium paid (counting the extra payment I made for January) and then UHC will refund my extra payment.

In the mean time, the SSA confirmed that I should not have been billed for the January premium and that I did not owe it, and they have referred the matter to the inspector general for investigation.

@Dan: UHC will not give a refund

AUTHOR: ejhuff - ()

Dan wrote "If there are any overpayments you may request a refund".  I did request a refund from UHC.  They won't give me one.  They agreed that once I have paid 13 premiums for a 12 month membership (which will happen February 2014, but UHC thinks that won't happen), then they will issue a refund.

#5 General Comment

Premiums by SSA Deductions

AUTHOR: Dan - ()

You are mistaken in your belief that you are overpaying premiums. When you choose to have your premiums paid by Social Security deductions, it can take up to 90 days for Social Security to start sending premium payments to your insurance plan. Depending on the date your enrollment was approved by Medicare; you may have to pay the first month's premium yourself. Social Security's cutoff date for deduction requests is the 11th of each month. Therefore, if your enrollment was approved by Medicare anytime after the 11th, you would be responsible for paying the first premium. If there are any overpayments you may request a refund or that the extra amount be applied to a future premium, in which case nothing would be deducted from Social Security for that month.