Complaint Review: United Online Corp, Netzero

• Submitted: Sun, January 13, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, January 13, 2008

• Reported By:gardendale Alabama
United Online Corp, Netzero
21301 Verbank Blvd. Woodland Hills, California U.S.A.

United Online, Netzero lies and will rip you off Woodland Hills California

*Consumer Suggestion: No ripoff here. Read the fine print.

I built my mother a new computer for her birthday present. Her old one had crashed, and so she had not been on the internet for over a year. So I figured I would buy her internet service for her as well. I set up an account with net zero and after 9 months we up graded her to dsl, only cause netzero was so slow. I called and cancled the account, and asked the service rep if there would been anymore charges to my card, he put me on hold and came back and said no. He then tried to upsale me on all kind of services, I said no thank you, I just want to cancel my account, after listening to him ramble on about their services for over 30 min, I just kept saying , no thanks, I just need to cancel my account.
The next month rolled around and there on my bank statment was a $25.00 charge. So I called netzero back, got their normal service rep, who said she could not do anything about it, that it was a cancelation fee, I asked for her manager. She put me on hold and Sharon her manager came on the line, with the same story, it was a cancelation fee, and she couldnt do anything. I told her about my conversation with the rep when I first canceled my account, and he checked and said no more charges would be on my card. but no mater how I put it, she wouldnt say anything but I had to pay it.

I then asked her for and address that I could write someone, she said all they had was email. I told her that every busines had to have some type of legal mailing address, and she could either refund my $25 dollars or give me the address where I could futher pursue the matter. She was incisistant that they had no such address, I told her fine, refund the 25 and I would drop it, otherwise i needed the adress. After an hour on the phone, just trying to get an address she finally gave it to me. So there is the second LIE.

First I wouldnt be charged any futher charges, and second, They didnt have a mailing address. And still I am out my $25.00.

Lee
gardendale, Alabama

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/13/2008 11:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Online-Corp-Netzero/Woodland-Hills-California-91367/United-Online-Netzero-lies-and-will-rip-you-off-Woodland-Hills-California-299627. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Online Corp, Netzero

#1 Consumer Suggestion

No ripoff here. Read the fine print.

AUTHOR: Wilson - (U.S.A.)

On Netzero.com's first page, it states $9.95 per month with a 12-month committment.

12-month commitment at the discounted rate required and you will be billed the then current rate thereafter. Cancellation prior to the end of the 12-month commitment period will incur a $25 early termination fee.

Netzero's policy is not unreasonable. If you sign up for a one-year or two-year cell phone service agreement and you cancel before the end of the term, you are required to pay the early termination penalty. You are not getting your $25 back.