Complaint Review: United Parcel Service (UPS)

• Submitted: Thu, January 03, 2013
  • Updated: Fri, January 04, 2013

• Reported By: Jack — Albion New York United States of America
United Parcel Service (UPS)
7 Apollo Drive Batavia, New York United States of America

United Parcel Service (UPS) Last Paycheck Denied Batavia, New York

*Author of original report: Situation Resolved!

*Author of original report: Update (1/3/13)

I was a seasonal driver helper for UPS this past season.  I began my work in early December and worked my final day on December 21st, but UPS made no attempt to get their uniform from me until Christmas Eve.  That day, I requested that my final paycheck be mailed to me.  Since the payroll for my final week there would be out on December 27th, by my calculations I should have received my check by mail on Friday the 28th or Saturday the 29th.

However, this was not the case because by Saturday the 29th my final paycheck had not yet arrived.  At this point, I was angered by it enough to contact UPS on Facebook.  Whomever I spoke to on there notified me that I would speak to an Employee Relations manager by Wednesday, January 2nd (which was yesterday) which once again never happened.

On Monday December 31st, I contacted the warehouse I was employed at directly.  I don't know who I spoke to, but the second I brought up that I requested m paycheck be mailed to me, I was rudely told that "they don't mail checks" for any reason, telling me to come pick it up.  I expressed my disappointment that it wasn't mailed, to which I was given more rudeness and condescension.

Trying to be more reasonable, I asked what could be done to insure I receive my check that day, Monday.  The man on the phone told me to be at the warehouse by 1PM if I wanted my check.  I asked him if a driver could drop it off much like how my uniform was picked up the previous week.

The man on the phone said, "Now why would I send one of my $30-an-hour drivers out of their way to drop off a piece of paper?"
I replied by saying, "Likely for the same reason you sent said $30-an-hour driver to pick up your uniform."

The man on the phone told me to take it up with management and hung up on me.  Since then, I've been impatiently waiting for my final paycheck.  My car has been in and out of the shop for the last two weeks so I can't just up and drive there.

All I wanted was my final paycheck.  No help from the warehouse, and so far as of this writing no help from headquarters.  I contacted the state's Department of Labor regarding this issue, and I'm still awaiting a response.

I figured I would post my story by recommendation from a friend who said this might be a better option than writing a public blog about it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/03/2013 04:36 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Parcel-Service-UPS/Batavia-New-York-14020/United-Parcel-Service-UPS-Last-Paycheck-Denied-Batavia-New-York-990414. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Parcel Service (UPS)

Situation Resolved!

AUTHOR: Jay - (USA)

The check arrived in the mail yesterday.  I thank UPS for their swift cooperation in this matter.

Update (1/3/13)

AUTHOR: Jay - (USA)

Yesterday after submitting this report, UPS has chosen to sweep this link under the rug on their official Facebook page.  I was promised Human Resources would contact me, which never happened.  However, I finally did hear back from the Department of Labor who confirmed that I have every right to file a claim with the Division of Labor Standards over this issue.

If UPS wants to continuously withhold my pay and lie about contacting me, I'll contact the state department and seek legal satisfaction.