expert

• Submitted: Wed, July 16, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, July 16, 2008

• Reported By:Amelia Ohio
United Readers Service
13400 Madison Ave Lakewood, Ohio U.S.A.

United Readers Service, National Readers Service; Magazine Service Of America; Magazines Of America Magazines, Sweepstakes Lakewood Ohio

This company sent a package soliciting for magazine subscriptions to my home address. I tried to contact them to notify them that I did not request this information, nor did I wish to use it. The number on the letter inside the package was an invalid number and there were no other phone numbers listed. Evidently, someone had requested the information using my identity fraudulently while I was on vacation. My bank account was billed for $39.90 so I was able to speak with my bank and get the name of the company through which the purchase was made. Fortunately the bank was able to provide me with the location of the company as well, so I was able to easly track a local phone number.

When I called the company I was informed that I had been entered into a sweepstakes and had agreed to purchase 4 years worth of magazines (6 subscriptions!). I informed the representative that they could not have spoken to me since I was not in town at the time of the order. After some debate, the representative finally decided to close the account and refund my money.

My point is, that this company was so difficult to contact that I could have ended up paying $39.90 every month for the next 4 years for magazines I never wanted in the firstplace.

If you run into this same problem, call the companies Lakewood OH office at 216-228-8833 to cancel and request your refund.

Trisha
Amelia, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/16/2008 12:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Readers-Service/Lakewood-Ohio/United-Readers-Service-National-Readers-Service-Magazine-Service-Of-America-Magazines-O-351964. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Readers Service