Complaint Review: United Relocation Service, Paramount

• Submitted: Wed, March 26, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, March 31, 2008

• Reported By:Sierra Vista Arizona
United Relocation Service, Paramount
12439 Magnolia Blvd #134 North Hollywood, California U.S.A.

United Relocation Service, Paramount I thought that I was dealing with United Van Lines, a reputible company North Hollywood California

*Consumer Suggestion: Paramount's new name

Recently, a moving Company calling themselves "United Relocation Services" (also called "Paramount Moving Services") provided me an estimate over the
Internet for the total cost of moving our estimated 1500 cu. ft. of household goods from West Linn, OR to Sierra Vista, AZ. I thought that I was dealing with United Van Lines, a reputable moving company. This rogue moving
company is operating out of North Hollywood, CA.

United Relocation Services gave me a quote of $6,950 for our estimated 1505 cubic feet of goods to be moved to Sierra Vista, AZ, including a 12% fuel charge and packing. This estimate was based upon an inventory that I
completed on-line without United Relocation Services ever visiting our home or seeing my household goods that we wanted moved. I verbally agreed to that rate and price over the telephone with a representative of United Relocation Services.

The day that the movers loaded our household goods, I signed a "Binding Estimate" with United Relocation Services for $8,600. When our household goods were loaded on the moving truck, they then claimed that we
the exceeding the original estimate by 1700 cubic feet. I could not believe that the actual load was 3200 cubic feet. I have made previous moves with a similar load which totaled about 1500 cubic feet.

So on 26 February 2008, at 2:30 in the morning; once our goods were on their truck, the movers then demanded that I then pay them $18,500. They claimed that the actual load on the truck was over 3200 cubic feet and because we exceeded the quoted estimate of 1500 cubic feet, we were to be penalized with a rate increase at $5.00 per cubic feet for the amount over the original estimate which was $2.80 per cu. ft. I paid United Relocation Services on 26 February $ 9,250 by credit card and I was told that I would be required to pay an additional
$9,250 in the form of cash only at the time of delivery.

I began to suspect that United Relocation Services was scamming us because:

The mover did not offer or agree to an on-site inspection of our household goods and gave me a low-ball estimate over the phone and Internet-sight-unseen.
. The mover did not provide me a copy of a pamphlet titled; "Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move" until after all our household goods were loaded on the truck and I had signed the papers.
. The company's Web site has no local address and no information about
licensing or insurance.
. On moving day, a rental truck arrived rather than a company-owned
and marked fleet truck, a Budget Rental truck.
. The moving company demanded a payment of $18,500 which was more than twice
the amount I signed for in the "Binding Estimate". Federal Regulations
require that a moving company cannot charge more than 110% of their "Binding Estimate".
. The moving company demanded an additional cash only payment of $9,250 before they would deliver
my household goods.

Our household goods were finally delivered in Sierra Vista, AZ on Saturday, 22 Mar 2008 with many items broken and missing including my valuable antique gun collection.

I have been told by Arizona State officials that this moving company has, as a result of their actions and a pending investigation, will be charged with numerous violations. What an ordeal! My wife and I are grateful to the Arizona Department of Weights and Measures, Move Rescue, The Sierra Vista Police Department and Horizon Moving Company of Sierra Vista for their help. With their help, this will be resolved soon.

If you are planning a move in the future, please be careful and only go with a moving company that you can verify is a reputable company.

Cj
Sierra Vista, Arizona

Click here to read other Rip Off Report list of other Moving Companies

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on National Moving Network and other various transport companies ripping off the consumer

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/26/2008 08:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-Relocation-Service-Paramount/North-Hollywood-California-91605/United-Relocation-Service-Paramount-I-thought-that-I-was-dealing-with-United-Van-Lines-a-321276. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United Relocation Service, Paramount

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Sharon - (U.S.A.)

Just so you know, Paramount has changed its name to AMERICAN NATIONWIDE RELOCATION. The legal name is still Paramount, but they're now doing business under the new name. Please pass that on to the authorities.

#2 Consumer Suggestion