Complaint Review: United States Bowling Congress

• Submitted: Mon, August 15, 2005
  • Updated: Fri, July 04, 2008

• Reported By:Spring Hill Florida
United States Bowling Congress
5301 South 76th Street Greendale, Wisconsin U.S.A.

United States Bowling Congress Targeting minors with sales literature for Oreck vacuum cleaners RIPOFF Greendale Wisconsin

*Consumer Comment: Parents Morals

*Author of original report: USBC responds

*Consumer Suggestion: Think About What You Said

*Consumer Comment: Lighten up Kevin

I was dumbfounded recently when opening a letter with my 11-yr old from the USBC. This letter was addressed to my son, not "To the parents of:" and contained sales literature from Oreck vacuum cleaners.

My son has been a member of Young American Bowling Alliance (YABA) for the past 3 or 4 years and never received mailings such as this. Recently, however, the three different bowling associations merged to form the USBC so that rules and tournaments would be more uniform. It would seem they wasted no time in selling off a mailing list of membership without a single thought as to the age or sex of those members.

While I suppose sex has little to do with the purchasing of vacuums these days, age certainly should have been a factor! No child should have their names and addresses shared or sold without parental consent. While I doubt my child would have returned the order form, as a teacher, I am sure there is a very good possibility that some children will, thereby costing their parents some frustration and monetary funds to return item or argue Oreck for a refund should they insist "all sales are final." And, while Oreck may not make such a claim, who's to say the next mailing isn't from a more unscrupulous vendor.

The point is, the names of children should not have been given to Oreck or any other vendor without the consent of a parent. What is truly odd, and makes me even madder, is the fact that I am also a member of USBC, yet I have yet to receive the same mailing. Makes you wonder if the mailing list Oreck purchased wasn't strictly minors. It also makes me leary of both USBC and Oreck. I will certainly never buy anything they have to sell after this.

Kevin
Spring Hill, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/15/2005 10:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-States-Bowling-Congress/Greendale-Wisconsin-53129-1120/United-States-Bowling-Congress-Targeting-minors-with-sales-literature-for-Oreck-vacuum-cle-153777. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United States Bowling Congress

Parents Morals

AUTHOR: Del - (U.S.A.)

I would frist like to agree with both of the Come On responses. I am a father and I do not agree with sending sales literature to children but the USBC is not our enemy. And since it was a mistake that should have cleared that up. If your going to get mad about what is sent to kids then write reports about the finger print companies and the children Id companies that solicit our kids. Think about it your children are now on a database that keeps finger prints and they send out millions of flyers about children items once you sign up and they are addressed to the kids not the parents. so if your going to get on someone then do it to someone that should know better. And just because someones opinion doesn't coincide with your doesn't mean they have no moral. You sound like a liberal and this is not a politicall speakease for you to rant and rave.

USBC responds

AUTHOR: Kevin - (U.S.A.)

Within a week of this posting and notifying USBC of it, I received an email from the President of the USBC.

He apologized for the mishap and stated, "There had been an error made. Youth bowlers were not to be included in the mailing."

Having forgotten about this site I had found, I neglected to return to it to post this response. I have since rediscovered Rip-off Report.com and placed it in My Favorites.

In rebuttal to Lighten Up, no, I don't think anyone would expect that, however, it is pretty obvious how American business has exploited children in advertising of all types. Advertising and marketing toys to kids is one thing, cigarettes and vacuum cleaners, etc. is another.

In rebuttal to both Lighten Up and Think About, either you are not parents or you the type of parent that just sit ideally by while corporate America rapes our children with everything from junk mail to fowl language and graphics on websites.

Talk about growing up? Think about your moral and ethical fiber, sir. Unless your one of the sleezy salemen that adheres to this type of unscrupulous marketing, you should be able to understand and, more to the point, respect the fact that most parents do not appreciate their children being targeted in this way. It all comes down to whether you have moral values or you don't.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Think About What You Said

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

You said the letter came from the USBC. That would mean that the USBC did not sell the list, but inserted the ad for the company that they choose to advertise for. I bet it was sent to your son in purpose so that his mother or father would purchase the vaccuum. I'll bet the USBC gets paid on the number sold from the promotion.

Grow up and use some common sense before you spew off.
If you are so put off by it tell your son he can't bowl anymore and withdraw him from the USBC.

Lighten up Kevin

AUTHOR: Deone - (U.S.A.)

Come on Kevin, do you think anybody would expect a kid to have enough money to buy a Oreck. Obviously it was mistake, I'm sure they had no idea that minors were on the list that they purchased. Chill out