Complaint Review: United States Postal Service

• Updated: Mon, October 29, 2012

• Reported By: Jn — Leander Texas USA
United States Postal Service
Nationwide United States of America

United States Postal Service USPS, USPS.com USPS refuses to abide by its own policies and domestic mail manual All, Nationwide

*Author of original report: That refers to responses if I were the one sending solicitations

*Consumer Comment: What does this mean?

So for months, I've been getting mail to the wrong people at my house, as well as the usual junk mail.  I believe it is environmentally irresponsible for the Postal Service to deliver this trash which they know is trash, but someone can afford to print and pay for it, so I guess nobody cares.  Anyway, according to the USPS Domestic Mail Manual, 508 (recipient services) Ch. 1.1, a recipient may refuse any piece of mail at delivery, or after delivery by writing 'refused' on that piece of mail and returning it.  Here's a link to the DMM chapter which covers that: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/508.htm

So I've confronted my carrier with this, and she has, very unprofessionally, told me that I don't know what I'm talking about, and has repeatedly marked my box 'vacant'.  So I attached a copy of the very chapter which states this to the returned mail...still gets re-delivered to my box.  So I went to the local post office (multiple times) and have been told everything from "fill this paperwork out" to....here's the kicker...."YOU CAN'T REFUSE JUNK MAIL!!!!"

I was then told that it is MY responsibility to take the garbage they deliver and I properly refuse back to my house to dispose of it.  BS!!  It states in the DMM that I can refuse any piece of mail, not any piece of mail except for pieces with a 'standardized address'.  They have stated that they don't have to show me that in writing, even though I have shown them in their own writing that their policy is that I may refuse ANY piece of mail (with a couple of exceptions that DO NOT cover this 'standardized addressing'.

I encourage everyone to do the same....print a copy of section 508 of the DMM and start refusing junk mail!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/29/2012 11:43 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-States-Postal-Service/nationwide/United-States-Postal-Service-USPS-USPScom-USPS-refuses-to-abide-by-its-own-policies-and-961586. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United States Postal Service

That refers to responses if I were the one sending solicitations

AUTHOR: Jn fox - (USA)

1.1.3

Refusal After Delivery

After delivery, an addressee may mark a mailpiece Refused and return it within a reasonable time, if the piece or any attachment is not opened. Mail that may not be refused and returned unopened under this provision may be returned to
the sender only if it is enclosed in a new envelope or wrapper with a correct address and new postage. The following may not be refused and returned postage-free after delivery:

a. Pieces sent as Registered Mail, insured, Certified Mail, collect on delivery (COD), and return receipt for merchandise.

b. Response mail to the addressees sales promotion, solicitation, announcement, or other advertisement that was not refused when offered to the addressee.

Isn't this referring to junk mail? It's a little hard to tell exactly what it means.

That would be referring to junk mail if I were the one sending it out.  Simply states that if I (addressee) cannot refuse (note carefully the wording before the two items) POSTAGE FREE AFTER DELIVERY, response mail to addressee's (my own) sales promotion, solicitation, etc., THAT WAS NOT REFUSED WHEN OFFERED to the addressee (me).
Simply put, if I am sending junk mail out, I cannot refuse responses to that junk mail AFTER DELIVERY.  Since I am not sending any solicitations out, this does not apply.

What does this mean?

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

This is from your link

1.1.3

Refusal After Delivery

the sender only if it is enclosed in a new envelope or wrapper with a correct address and new postage. The following may not be refused and returned postage-free after delivery: