Complaint Review: United states postal service

• Updated: Tue, January 04, 2011

• Reported By: debbie — coldspring Texas United States of America
United states postal service
coldspring,texas 77331 coldspring, Texas United States of America

United states postal service can legally steal your package, making you pay for it, and there is nothing you can do about it in coldspring, Texas

*Consumer Comment: Can't have it both ways.

*Consumer Comment: One suggestion...

*Consumer Suggestion: Simple solutions here, really.

In January 20l0 I ordered a package from  a company in Florida, and since I would not be home I told them to ship using USPS flat rate box since the post office would hold with my mail.  When I got home Feb lst, and went by to pick up my mail, and package, I was told there was none there.  The next day, when I called back , I was told the package was already delivered.  I gave written instructions to hold at post office, and the postal carrier told the postmaster she delivered the package.  Diane Kidd, the postal carrier still has her job, and I am out 565.00 for the package I had to pay for on my charge.  I have tried all year to contact someone who would give a damn, no such luck.  I even tried to contact John Potter CEO postmaster general.  The final word,from Carlos T Rivera, jr, manager of consumer affairs, was since the company that mailed the package did not purchase special insurance, so basically too bad for me, and there was not even any proof the USPS even handled the package. There was a note in with my mail when I picked up my box if February stating that the postal carrier delivered my package.  This is a lot of money for me or anyone to loose.  I think it is legal theft.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/10/2010 05:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/United-states-postal-service/coldspring-Texas-77331/United-states-postal-service-can-legally-steal-your-package-making-you-pay-for-it-and-t-670302. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on United states postal service

Can't have it both ways.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

"since the company that mailed the package did not purchase special insurance, so basically too bad for me"

Let me see if I'm getting your side of this. You or the shipper were too cheap to insure an expensive item. Now that the item has been lost, you seem to want the benefit of insurance without having paid for it.

Do you usually wait until after you've been in an accident before buying car insurance?

Your complaint is silly. Yes, the post office made a mistake, but that's what insurance is supposed to cover. You didn't buy it, you don't get compensated. Think about it. If everyone whose had an uninsured loss was paid off, what would be the purpose of insurance?

"there was not even any proof the USPS even handled the package."

Eh? According to your post, it was sent to you via flatrate box. The sender should have the receipt. Also, according to your post, you have a notice that the package was delivered.

One suggestion...

AUTHOR: spc3rd - (USA)

This comment is for the original poster. If you genuinely feel there is some type of mail fraud involved here, whether it be on the part of the USPS, the shipper, or some other contractor, you can always file a formal complaint with the U.S. Postal Service Inspector General's Office on-line, by phone, or via the mail. They are charged with primary responsibility for investigating complaints of this nature, as well as, others...which you can review on their website.

I do agree with some of what one rebuttal poster mentioned regarding the importance of having insurance on any item(s) of value you ship or items which are being shipped to you, as well as, the poster's mention of disputing the charge with your credit card company.

In filing a complaint with the IG's office, be sure you have all essential documentation available to support your complaint.

Good luck.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Simple solutions here, really.

AUTHOR: Steve - (U.S.A.)

First of all, you should have just disputed the charge on your credit card for the merchandise not recieved. Then, the burden is on the shipper to show delivery confirmation, etc to the credit card company.

WHY would you not pay the couple extra dollars to get SIGNATURE CONFIRMATION, and also have the package INSURED?

The problem here is that you just don't know how to handle things the right way. And, did you really think that a mail carrier would lose her job over your complaint? You are living in a fantasyland!

How can you say the the USPS "stole" your package? They didn't.

The bottom line here is that you could have disputed that $565.00 charge on your credit card and got your money back.

And, if the package was sent properly by the shipper with delivery confirmation and insurance, they could have gotten their money back after your dispute.

You get what you pay for. All parties involved here wanted "cheap" and that is the result.