Complaint Review: Universal Class, Inc.

• Submitted: Tue, February 09, 2010
  • Updated: Fri, August 17, 2012

• Reported By: angry — Anaheim California United States of America
Universal Class, Inc.
10150 Highland Manor Drive, Suite 200 Internet United States of America

Universal Class Inc. Consumers beware of this online educational service! Internet

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Universal Class is Wonderful

*Consumer Comment: I love UC

*Consumer Comment: I Enjoy Universal Class

*Consumer Comment: Universal Class very Professional, & worth every penny

*UPDATE Employee: Re: Junk Mail

*General Comment: Junk Mail

*Consumer Comment: Actually

*Consumer Comment: Universalclass has been very helpful to me

*Consumer Comment: She is Worng, Universal Class is Fun!

*Consumer Comment: Universalclass

*Consumer Comment: Universalclasses.com Complaints of Scamming Rebuttal

*UPDATE Employee: First we've heard of this dissatisfaction, contact us to make it right

This company advertises itself as "UniversalClass is an online educational service dedicated to providing the highest quality online courses."
I took the Wedding Planning 101 for $65.00 - with Certificate upon Successful Completion.
This course was a waste of time & money. After completion of the course you get to print out a cheap looking fill in the blanks piece of paper. I wasn't expecting much for $65 but I was expecting more than I got.

The lessons were taken from information on multiple wedding sites. The courses had links to pages that didn't work. The lesson plans were full of typos, errors and incorrect information. The "tests" asked questions that had answers in direct conflict with the lesson plan read. When I asked the instructor how to proceed when the question asked was in direct conflict with the lesson plan, I was told to "form an opinion & stick with it" What!? Reviews, tests & exams should reflect the lesson just learned, not be in conflict & then be told to wing it?

I learned more from surfing wedding site online, reading & doing my own homework. [continued below]....
.....
This "school" is just out to get your money & nothing more. Save your money & buy a book!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/09/2010 08:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Universal-Class-Inc/internet/Universal-Class-Inc-Consumers-beware-of-this-online-educational-service-Internet-567100. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Universal Class, Inc.

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Universal Class is Wonderful

AUTHOR: Shelly - ()

If you are a person adept at learning without a lot of instruction and able to grasp information without a lot of teacher presence, this option is a wonderful solution that won't cost you $100k to say you received a decent education.  I have only taken a few classes but my sister is taking the same classes at a different college and you can tell that the content we are learning is similar.

I love UC

AUTHOR: LindaHobbs64 - ()

I have taken two classes with Universal Class and have loved them both. I don't have six or seven hundred dollars for other online classes and found Universal Class to be very reasonably priced. No, it's not the same as an on-site class, but each student can either slack through it and complain they didn't learn anything (sounds like public school) or really apply themselves to use the material as aggressively as possible to have a positive learning experience.  I love the exams after each lesson to make sure I really did read the material. I intend to take more classes in the future, especially photography.  Great site. Affordable ... and lots of fun. Thank you Universal Class!

I Enjoy Universal Class

AUTHOR: jessarenea - ()

One, I attend an "On-line University" full-time and find I learn more from a Universal Class than I do from a class that I pay $1000 a credit for. This is a program that expands your knowledge on a field, not a Master's Degree. I find them entertaining and as a sales professional, the wide variety gives me information for any situation and any customer. Two, I have NEVER received any spam mail in conjuction with their site. I use to me an email marketer, I can get your email address from very unexpected places and you would never guess it. Keep up the great work Universal Class!

Universal Class very Professional, & worth every penny

AUTHOR: Duchesssammi - ()

I am currently working on last section of my first class with them and I have learned much more then I expected to, My Instructor is always quick to respond to any questions I ask, comments I leave on forum, and I love the feedback she gives when grading my assignments and tests. I have spoken to other students in the class and they all seen just as pleased and excited about class and a few others also mentioned joining the Yearly membership (me also) so they can take even more classes.

ALL the questions in both my assignments and tests when directly related to the readings, I have not had any issues with the links we are given in fact I found them interesting and a great addition to reading material!!

Seems to me that if your complaints were valid, there would have been other students with same complaints, As you read in the rebuttals from People who work at the school -  you were the only person to complain.

I find it offensive and insulting that a comment was made that all rebuttals were from people working at school or in some way told to say positive statements.

I am sorry you seemed to have an issue with school but it seems to me that instead of posting slanderous statements with the intent to ruin schools reputation you should have contacted the school directly and let them know your concerns and I believe without a doubt it would have been taken care of to your satisfaction.

I DO NOT work for school and no one told me to rebuttal - I have 2 Associates degrees, 1 Bachelors, 2 Masters, and NUMEROUS Certifications and Diplomas, I love education and will continue to add to my Education, my point being is I research any school I am interested in, I read all the fine print, and ask questions before I enroll, and I have never had any negative experiences, and if I felt a concern I would address it with the school IMMEDIATELY!!  I would never even think to slander a school or anyone or company for that matter until all avenues of working with them have been exhausted.

Re: Junk Mail

AUTHOR: Sandra Dillinger - (United States of America)

This is a baseless/groundless accusation. We do not send junk/unsolicited email. It's easy enough to check any of this junk email to verify it doesn't come from us. Nor do we share any member information; privacy is paramount out our company. There are so many ways a person can receive unsolicited junk email and blaming our company for an alleged coincidence is wrong. For example, this user's computer may have been compromised by spyware, malware, or virus. Or one of their contact's email addresses has been compromised. There are an infinite number of ways a person can receive junk mail, far too many to list here.

#6 General Comment

Junk Mail

AUTHOR: zobot - (United States of America)

I very rarely give my primary email address to anybody because I HATE junk mail. It drives me crazy to have people constantly spamming me, using thousands of different random email addresses so you cant stick them permanently in the junk folder where they belong. Well, when I signed up for UniversalClass (I bit the bullet and gave them my real email adress hoping they wouldn't give it out freely, thinking it might be necessary for my for my teachers to be able to contact me). I have regretted it every day since! At seven in the morning I start getting junk mail. *bing* my phone says, every ten minutes. 7am like clockwork.

I emailed them in my rage after deleting another chunk of 5-10 emails at once (it's eight in the morning right now) and promptly got an email back denying the accusation. I cannot overlook the fact that they are the ONLY website I gave my personal primary adress to in months, and I can't overlook the fact that the mail started the day after I signed up for this website. It bothers me that they would flat out deny the problem instead of working with me to fix it.

Anyways, I get a feeling that the people talking up this site are probably affiliates in some way, because there's really nothing to talk up this site for. Its really nothing special, but it's exactly what I expected when I signed up (except the junk mail). I don't think it's a scam, because I believe I'll get my moneys worth. It's the introductory, topical education I was looking for, as far as I can tell. Definitely nothing to write home about. But don't give them your email address if you don't love being spammed with crap, then lied to.

It's been a few minutes since I emailed them about the problem and they responded with:

"Hello Zoby, whatever junk mail you receive is not a result of our service. We do not send unsolicited email, nor do we share any information with any other entity.

Candace Mason Account Manager"

Flat out lie. Just after I received that email, my phone lit up with even MORE junk than before. I am now receiving multiples of the same junk mail.

Beware universal class. They've got no class.

Actually

AUTHOR: Callasynth89 - (United States of America)

I just finished that class and i have to say I had the total opposite experience. I felt it as very beneficial. While someone before me had a point, this isn't a site to go to if you want sme form of college level degree on a subject, it is useful to have for if your interested in multiple subjects and want to figure out your future college course, see what you enjoy the best. Plus it is beneficial for helping you tobrush up on certain things. I like it, a lot, and would reccomend it to anyone. My husband is taking a class on painting techniques just to help him get better at what he is already great at.

Universalclass has been very helpful to me

AUTHOR: sonyriffic - (United States of America)

I have had a yearly membership to Universalclass for a couple of years. As far as helping me with my job they have provided me with a wealth of knowledge! I am currently over halfway through Accounting & Bookeeping 101 and it is structured better and more understandable then our local Community College class which I took years ago. Other classes have also been very helpful. For about $16 a month I can't find quality training at my convenience this cheap anywhere else.

She is Worng, Universal Class is Fun!

AUTHOR: Breezy - (United States of America)

First off, I utilize Rip Off Report anytime a business does me wrong! I am not one to let it slide, not in thsi economy. In regards to the woman's compalint regarding Universal Class being cheap and not worth the cost.....They only charge $65 for classes that other sites charge $200 for! Other sites offer the same non-transferable credits, only for personal enrichment and will charge hundreds for what you get on here for $65 bucks ( and that is the more expensive option, they offer a lower price option!). I personally enjoy the links they provide for each lesson, it saves hours of time google searching to find the exact information you need. These classes are solely online, meaning they won't send additional books etc., but in today's technology driven world, it's great for people to learn on the go! They have everything organized for you, lessons to the point( perfect for busy mamas!), and they even provide feedback on every lesson, which other online courses-inc college credit ones simply do not do. $65, I think is a BARGAIN to learn something new! The certificate says what they advertised, a certificate of completion, it is still a valuable personal asset.

Universalclass

AUTHOR: gmac - (United States of America)

While it is true that Universalclass does not rise to the level of a true college course, I have found that it does impart information for someone just wanting to study about a subject without going in to great depth.  Look at it more like a survey class.  For the money, it is a good deal.  I feel sorry for the lady that feels she got ripped off, and maybe in this one instance, it was a bad experience, but I have found that mine have all been positive.  I have taken 7 courses now, and will continue.  I am taking the courses because I already have 3 college degrees and do not need the credits.  You can still use the classes to improve your resume.  The certificates are not "fill in the blank" style.  Again a good deal if you know what you are going for.

Universalclasses.com Complaints of Scamming Rebuttal

AUTHOR: Michael - (United States of America)

I am a recent student or consumer and user of the site and "accredited school" and was surprised to see multiple articles accusing the site of scamming and even paying off whoever accredited the school & courses.  I knowingly enrolled in what was clearly stated as CEU units (continued education units), not anything even transferrable to anywhere else.  I just wanted to get a head start and learn some of the basics important in my field of interest I'm pursuing a degree in, and hoped to gain vocabulary and have access to real lawyers/teachers answers to my questions and their outlines of what I truly need to learn in that course.  If these accusations that anyone can make their own class and outline and charge for it, I don't know if that is possible but that's why I took a class that clearly specified the outline, course lessons, grading scale, syllubus and tutoring help taught by a fully educated with a degree in this field or lawyer or teacher of law.  I've already benefitted from the information and lessons I was given, and links for further questions I may have one day, and that was clear to me within the first week of class.  So if there are people out there that felt scammed by learning nothing or information conflicting with the truth or false, I would suspect that the classes they took fall into some of the odd categories such as "wedding planning" or "cooking" where there isn't a professional with a degree to guarantee its beneficial.  Otherwise, they offer plenty of helpful and the cheapest on the web and instant enrollment at your own pace...that's pretty hard to find or beat in my oppionion atleast.

First we've heard of this dissatisfaction, contact us to make it right

AUTHOR: Sandra Dillinger - (United States of America)

Hello, we're sorry you had a disappointing experience on our service. We have received no such complaints about this course 'Wedding Planning 101'. If you purchased the course within the last 30 days, please contact our helpdesk (universalclass.com/helpdesk) with your member id, order number, and reason for your dissatisfaction, and we'll refund your money in full. And also, please be sure to submit your complaint about the course in our online helpdesk so we can officially document it for future reference.

We've reviewed all course evaluations submitted by students in the last 12 months for this course, and we have found none that voice any of your concerns here. So obviously, we have not received your course evaluation voicing your dissatisfaction for this course, nor have you contacted us prior to this posting regarding any dissatisfaction you had with the course or our service.

As of today, this course has received 460 ratings on a lesson-by-lesson basis, and the lesson average rating is 5/5 stars (1 being lowest, 5 being highest/most helpful). The course average is 5/5 (highest rating) as rated by all students.

Our certificates are not 'fill-in-the-blank' pieces of paper. Our online certificates are very professional looking, and include all the details about your course participation, including start/end dates, number of lessons completed, assignments submitted, exams taken, discussions posted, polls & surveys voted, emails sent, total hours of class time, in addition to your final grade. They are highly customized and specific to what the individual actually accomplished in the course.

If you ordered a hard copy of the certificate, we use heavy certificate stock which has an very elegant gold design, and it is professionally printed and includes our corporate seal along with a serial number for third party verification on our website. It is shipped in heavy cardboard customized mailers to ensure the paper is not bent or folded. If you have any issue with your hard copy certificate, let us know and we'll reprint/resend free of charge.

Again, if you have any issues with our online classes, please be sure to let us know by using our online helpdesk (or you can email us) so we can take appropriate action to make the situation right.

Best regards,

Sandra Dillinger
Accounts Manager

First we've heard of this dissatisfaction, contact us to make it right

AUTHOR: Sandra Dillinger - (United States of America)

Our certificates are not 'fill-in-the-blank' pieces of paper. Our online certificates are very professional looking, and include all the details about your course participation, including start/end dates, number of lessons completed, assignments submitted, exams taken, discussion posted, polls & surveys voted, emails sent, total hours of class time, in addition to your final grade.

Best regards,