Complaint Review: University Federal Credit Union

• Updated: Mon, October 11, 2010

• Reported By: Transplanted Texan — Round Rock Texas USA
University Federal Credit Union
1616 Guadalupe Street Austin, Texas United States of America

University Federal Credit Union - UFCU Loses Payments & Charges Illegal Fees Austin Texas

*Consumer Comment: give them a chance to fix the problem

This has to be the worst credit union on the planet.  The employees conduct themselves as if they are jockeying for gym membership contracts.  They foam at the mouth, anticipating hooking you.  Once you sign, that's it.  They have you.

The tellers...that's a whole different issue.  These folks sit behind a wall and the only way to see & talk to them is via closed circuit TV & a phone on the wall.  I always felt like "this must be what it feels like to be a prison inmate talking to an attorney."

The credit cards they issue...I think they are thru some anonymous, third party vendor.  Out of all the credit unions in Central Texas, their interest rates are the highest.  I had a card with them for approx. two & a half years.  In all that time, I never missed a payment.  I was never late.

On August 3, I received the weirdest phone call.  A woman on the other end of the line told me that I needed to make a credit card payment immediately because I hadn't made my scheduled payment for July.  I quickly told this woman that I had been a loyal & valuable customer for two & half years and had never missed a payment.  I followed that up with "I don't know what kind of game you're playing, but I'm not interested."  I hung up on her, very angry.

I checked my account.  Sure enough, a payment was missing...not that I'd missed a payment...quite the contrary.  I had a record of my payment from another credit union (the method I'd used for the entire time that I had a UFCU credit card).  These people either lost it or misapplied it or purposely trashed it.  And, what a fine opportunity for them to charge me a late fee of $25.  I filed a complaint with them and requested that they remove the late fee that they were responsible for creating.  I was ignored.

I came to the conclusion that, since our "hopey, changey" Obamanation Administration had trashed our banking institutions and hopelessly destroyed another law, this would probably happen, again.  What a great way to pay off bad investment decisions with illegal fees and charges from its unsuspecting customers.  I paid them off as quickly as possible and demanded that they close the account.  I was ignored, again.

I finally had to go to one of the UFCU zombie branches (more wide eyes and mouth foaming) and demand that they close the useless savings account with five dollars in it.  I did manage to get one of them to admit that closing the savings account would close the card account.  I wandered over to one of the teller stations, made face in the camera and asked them if they would bill me for attorney's fees.  No sense of humor.

AVOID THIS CREDIT UNION AT ALL COSTS.  There are so many other nice credit unions in Central Texas.  The only reason I even had an account with this annoying company is because they handled a school loan for me and they managed to screw that up, too.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/09/2010 02:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/University-Federal-Credit-Union/Austin-Texas-78701/University-Federal-Credit-Union-UFCU-Loses-Payments-Charges-Illegal-Fees-Austin-Texa-649223. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on University Federal Credit Union

give them a chance to fix the problem

AUTHOR: Charlie - (U.S.A.)

They may not have the BEST rates, but I have been a member at UFCU for over 10 years now.  If you go to their main branch at Steck and Shoal Creek they still have traditional tellers at a counter.

Their credit card rates are not the best, but they don't play any games with their billing cycles, or anything else.  I assume if you were to call and SPEAK to someone and give them a chance they will straighten it out.

I keep most of my money at a bank with a 4.25% rewards checking account, but UFCU has one car loan and a rewards credit card I pay in full every month.  It has worked well for me, and the staff has always been very friendly.