Complaint Review: University Of Phoenix

• Updated: Mon, June 25, 2012

• Reported By: Debra — Lonedell Missouri United States of America
University Of Phoenix
3157 E. Elwood Street Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

University Of Phoenix Axia on line Would not apply my awarded Pell Grant for $2775.00 towards the class that I failed for $1225.00 and now I cant return to class until this is paid. I was attending the University on student loans and Phoenix, Arizona

*UPDATE Employee: University of Phoenix

*General Comment: You were not ripped off...

*General Comment: RE: UoP

*Consumer Comment: FYI

I had the chance to further my education by attending the University of Poenix and was awarded loans and Pell Grants. I failed one of my classes and they would not apply my Pell Grant in the amount of $2775.00 towards the $1225.00 for the failed class.

Now I cannot get my Associates Degree in Accounting until I pay the $1225.00 up front, if I had that kind of money I would not need to get student loans and grants for my education.

So I am stuck in limbo because I don't have $1225.00 and now I can finish my education so I can move on with my life.  I am 58 years old and want to get out of the factory business now I can't.

I can't go to another college because they won't release my transcript until I pay the $1225.00 and the University of Phoenix sent my Pell Grant monies back. Can you help me so that I can get back in to college!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/17/2012 05:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/University-Of-Phoenix/Phoenix-Arizona-85034/University-Of-Phoenix-Axia-on-line-Would-not-apply-my-awarded-Pell-Grant-for-277500-towa-898819. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on University Of Phoenix

University of Phoenix

AUTHOR: Uofphoenix - (U.S.A.)

Hello,

Please understand that loans and grants are processed for an academic year, which is a minimum of 24 credits and 30 weeks of instructional time. The University will disburse federal financial aid funds in at least two disbursements. A student is eligible for the first disbursement at the beginning of the payment period, and the second disbursement occurs after the midpoint of the academic year. To meet eligibility standards for second and subsequent loan disbursements, the student must successfully complete the previous credits and meet the calendar and instructional week midpoint of the loan period.  Since a non-passing grade results in no credit being awarded for the course, this requires the student to complete an additional course to successfully complete the previous credits.  Subsequent financial aid cannot be disbursed until that additional course is successfully completed.  If there are no federal financial aid funds remaining from the previous disbursement, the charges for that additional course must be paid by the student as an out of pocket expense.

If you have questions about this process, please contact Kelsey.Vogt@phoenix.edu. If you have questions about accrediation or would like to file a formal grievance with the University, please contact me at Libby.Bailey@phoenix.edu.

- Libby Bailey, Dispute Operations Manager
Office of Dispute Management
University of Phoenix

#2 General Comment

You were not ripped off...

AUTHOR: NoMore - (United States of America)

At least not in the way you think.

UOP is a rip off!  Their credits are not transferable.  Even if they offered to give you your transcripts, they would not be accepted by any reputable school.  $1225 for ONE class? WOW!  Community colleges where I'm at charge that for a full load semester.

Secondly, it looks like you tried to defraud the Government and failed in your attempt to make UOP your accomplice.  You can't retroactively apply Pell funds to a class you failed.

I'm sorry for your problems, but they are self inflicted.

#3 General Comment

RE: UoP

AUTHOR: indigo - (USA)

As much as I dislike for-profit schools, there's really not much you can do at this point. Since paying up front is not an option, you can apply for a loan (whether that be federally funded or otherwise (private)) and pay the expenses for the course that way. You should also contact a financial aid counselor to discuss options if you have not already done so. Depending on the institution, you might be able to setup some payment plan as well. The catch-22 with this is that, whether a college or university is for-profit, nonprofit, private, or public, it is standard procedure for most institutions to withhold transcript requests if an outstanding balance is due. I admire your motivation to continue your education and I hope you're able to resolve your problem!

FYI

AUTHOR: MochaG - (United States of America)

I am not going to agree or disagree with the school about their rules, but I just want to give you some information that I think it is related to the reason.

There are rules that an applicant of pell grant must be satisfied [http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/finaid/progress/federal.html].

1. Minimum GPA -- achieve at least the GPA required to meet the college's minimum retention standard or be granted an academic probation.

2. Maximum Time-frame -- attempt not more than 150% of the credits normally required for completion of the degree (that is, attempt no more than 90 credits to earn 60).

3. Pace of Progression -- The school does not apply the amount to your failed class because it could tie to your academic progression and the school record for eligibility of pell grant in the future.

If you look further down the page I gave you above, you will see the information about the effect of withdraw/incomplete  classes. If you failed a class, it may affect your "Pace of Progression" because it could have crippled you from the pell grant in the future. Also, the school record will look bad that their students are doing bad in their academic. As a result, the school may get less money from the government in the future. That's why they want you to pay it out of your own pocket. This is just their business point of view and they play (work around) it by rules.