Complaint Review: University Of Phoenix

• Submitted: Wed, March 25, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, May 07, 2009

• Reported By:Rayville Louisiana
University Of Phoenix
3157 E. Elwood St. Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.

University of Phoenix has private agreement with Sallie Mae to ripoff people using Stafford Loans Phoenix Arizona

*Consumer Comment: Phoenix University and Sallie Mae have destroyed any chance at schooling for me

*Consumer Suggestion: Regarding DO share

*UPDATE Employee: Do share

University of Phoenix has a special agreement with Sallie Mae Student Loan Company to be able to return money and cancel loans for borrowers.

Sallie Mae has a special department just for the University of Phoenix with specific people you are required to speak with.

Surely all of the individuals involved are specially trained to read their carefully written scripts and I have caused them to be speechless with my questions today.

This is a misuse of Stafford Loan funds, a disgrace to the field of education, and a scam for the consumer.

There are so many individuals that report the same instances that I have experienced and I wish there were a really good lawyer that would do something about it. Our government should pull the plug on Sallie Mae and our Education Department should shut down University of Phoenix.

Ana
Rayville, Louisiana

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/25/2009 03:43 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/University-Of-Phoenix/Phoenix-Arizona-85034/University-of-Phoenix-has-private-agreement-with-Sallie-Mae-to-ripoff-people-using-Staffor-437615. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on University Of Phoenix

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

I decided to go back to school and get an AA in Business Management. I was doing ok except that a lot of the assignments were hard to understand so I had gone and contacted my instructors by email and then by phone and this went on for a while I was on my second group of coarse when I tried to get help from one of my instructors and I emailed her then tried to call her, she never returned my call and then after the assignment was due she finally emailed me back and with no help except to say read the assignment, well I couldn't do that because the reading that needed to be done made no sense at all to me. So of course at that point I lost points and and grades due to being late, but I was help accountable for it not the instructor, well the other communication class I was in was the same way, and without any help I neglected to sign in and was subsequently dropped from the coarse and all others, my student loan money including my living expense money was all sent back to Sallie Mae and I was told i would have to come up with the fee for classes on my own, well I am a father of 3 children and I was the only person working, my wife was staying at home with our youngest child, and with the economy as bad as it has been she could not find work.
I am now being harassed by Phoenix and being send bills saying I owe over 3,000.00 in fee's.
and of course I having to pay the student loan money back, not sure how I will do that.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

Regarding DO share

AUTHOR: Diamondaries74 - (U.S.A.)

This is true i am currently enrolled with the UoP and i have a loan through sallie mae and they do have there own people at sallie mae that deal with UoP student.

Do share

AUTHOR: Educateyourself - (U.S.A.)

Interesting post, while your claims are scary there seems to be very little evidence to back up your claim. UOP is the largest user of financial aid funds and the largest university in the world in regards to currently attending students. You say so what...

The watchdogs are eyeing UOP and waiting for a mistake to happen and UOP knows this so we work hard to comply to all Dept. of Ed and other government regulations. Why would UOP risk making a so called deal with Sallie Mae, and vice versa, to risk being shut down. Do you really think that us employees that work for this exceptional organization would risk working for a very stable place of employment?

We return funds to lenders since that is the requirement when students are automatically dropped from classes and do not inform us so we can try and work out other opportunities. Trust me, we would be shut down if we had a secret agreement with any lender, but again that would be the dumbest move in the history of business! Please provide some more details so your post can gain more credit.