Complaint Review: University Of Phoenix

• Submitted: Sun, July 08, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, May 10, 2009

• Reported By:virginia beach Virginia
University Of Phoenix
4605 E. Elwood Ste 750 Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Loans

University Of Phoenix The university is too expensive. I did not know I had all these out of pocket fees until after I have attended. Ripoff Phoenix Arizona

*Consumer Comment: University of Phoenix: Expensive, yet credible

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Expense of University of Phoenix

*Consumer Comment: Lee Finkel Axia College "Dispute Resolution"/agreeing

*Consumer Comment: Francesca, you appear certain that students won't have trouble

*Consumer Comment: Every school has a problem with credit transfers

*Consumer Comment: Transfer credits....

*Consumer Comment: 16% graduation rate? How sad...

*Consumer Comment: Dyson Dave, will Mr. Finkel know anything about vacuum cleaners?

*Consumer Comment: Good Luck

I have been attending the UOP for almost 3 years not. I have 1 more class and I will have graduated. I have had so many academinc counselors and financial advisors and just could not understand why but now that I have read the report, I know whhy. I read on the ripoff report about how UOP is getting all of our money. Tuition goes up each year which I was not aware of. I have paid out thousands of dollars that I had to scrape up to come up with the out of pocket fees. I am thinking highly of transfering my 1 class to another university. I hate when people try to take people money and all the people are trying to do is get an education. I want something done.

Mary
virginia beach, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/08/2007 12:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/University-Of-Phoenix/Phoenix-Arizona-85072/University-Of-Phoenix-The-university-is-too-expensive-I-did-not-know-I-had-all-these-out-259454. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on University Of Phoenix

University of Phoenix: Expensive, yet credible

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

University of Phoenix tuition is expensive but everyone should realize that from the first day of enrollment. Finding this out after 3 years of attending UOP is perplexing. My recommendation to the original poster is to bite the bullet and splurge on paying the tuition for the last class. Hopefully, the student already took some similar advice and graduated. If not, then it was never meant to be.

I am about to graduate with a doctoral degree from UOP and will spend approximately $80k in tuition. I did receive an excellent education and consider my experience extremely rewarding. The University of Phoenix provides each student with the necessary means to succeed but the success will depend on the individual to make the most of the experience. In my undergraduate years I attending James Madison University (JMU) (public) and for my masters education at Johns Hopkins University (JHU) (private). Both schools are excellent and have a fine reputation. The University of Phoenix can compete with the likes of these schools and others from an academic viewpoint, and from a tuition perspective, it is comparable to other private schools.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Expense of University of Phoenix

AUTHOR: Tom - (U.S.A.)

This report says that the University of Phoenix is to expensive. ALL PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES ARE EXPENSIVE. All universities have individual out of pocket expenses.

I taught at the University of Phoenix for approximately 6 years. All of my students seemed to very pleased with the University. They had access to faculty at all times. My students had my home phone number, my work number, my cell phone number, and my email address. I cannot think of any more ways of having access to a faculity member. I had several students receiving financial aid, and they were pleased with the loans and the interest rate.

This student talks about transferring to another university and taking the one course he/she has left. No university will allow a student to transfer and take only one course. This student will need to complete at least 1 additional year if attending a state university. The majority of universities require that a student be in residence for at least a year, in order to qualify for graduation.

My experience with graduates from the Unversity of Phoenix has been extremely positive. They have had no difficulty in finding a job, and in many situations, were in line for a promotion upon graduation.

Expense is the name of the game when one is going to school. I paid $70K for my son to attend UF to recieve his Bachelor's degree in Education. He talked about UoP being expensive, and the additional out of pocket expense. I had out of pocket expense with my son -- renting an apartment (no room in the dorms) -- food expense, activity fees, lab fees, supplies, books, and I could continue.

I spent over $15K in tuition for my PhD classes. Then I had to pay for the binding of my dissertation -- another $250 -- then for the PhD academic regalia the cost was approximately $750.00 (that is cap, gown, and academic hood).

I hope this explains more about the expense of obtaining an education.

AUTHOR: Cathy - (U.S.A.)

Mr. Finkel has hidden from applicants that he is actually an attorney, specializing in
liability insurance. He is registerd with the Arizona Bar but hides it using the JD tag which is an unknown term for Attorney from years ago. By definition which he himself wrote of his position, the 'advises' all departments to protect the company in the least amount of effort possible. That means, yes your fundings, your time, your classes and particually your complaints. In his writings he states (beleaving no one will find it) that most cases that are high priority are fine because they are simple small claims. In short he mocks the general public in teaching others how to train to bluff the public. If you have had any negative results it most often he claims from his advice. You have the right to file with the Bar over his actions if you feel they meet their standards of misconduct. No they can not threaten you. No they can not steal from you. Yes they have to show you your finances. Yes you can go to your loan company and request an aduit to be applied to your loan of the company if there are anything that should not be there, they have the ability to document it. The bar frowns on lies made directly from an attorney, note the direct part there. There are many things people can do to protect themselves. You have the right! His job is not to help you, he oversees reducing to absolute minimum any potential liability to the company and share holders, so the concept of "Dispute Resolution" is humorous at best. The idea they will resolve your problem is under his direction.

AUTHOR: Cathy - (U.S.A.)

Francesca, you appear certain that students won't have trouble

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

transferring credits to/from UOP. Do you have evidence to support what you say?
Did someone at the UOP tell you this? If so, I'd be careful about repeating it as "fact." When a company shows past practices of breaking regulations meant to protect students, it might be wise to be skeptical. The US Dept of Education found the UOP violated recruiting regulations meant to protect students, then attempted a cover-up when USDOE investigated. The following represents some of these findings, the first is a quote to recruiters from UOP's Corporate Director of Enrollment,

"It's all about the numbers. It will always be about the numbers. But we need to show the Department of Education what they want to see."

"Forty-four out of 61, or 72% of the recruiters interviewed stated that it was always about the numbers--all about "butts in seats" or "asses in classes"--to use the vernacular commonly heard at UOP."

"At both the On Ground and On Line campuses, a number of recruiters stated that the allocation of fresh leads and floor time was both an intimidation and reward tool to manipulate them into more aggressive and/or unethical tactics."

Every school has a problem with credit transfers

AUTHOR: Francesca - (U.S.A.)

Hi all.
I got my bachelor degree from UOP in 2003, and I'm considering going back for my masters when I stumbled upon this site. Please know that ALL schools have an issue with transferring credits when you don't have a full degree. Transfer credits have very little to do with UOP's curriculum. That is why I choose UOP in the first place for my last degree, because UOP takes more transfer credits than most schools - believe me I did my research.

Once you graduate and have a diploma, ANY school HAS to take your credits, so long as the school is regionally accredited, and UOP is. You just may not be able to get into a super competitive school because priority will be given to Ivy League graduates (naturally) and other competitive schools. But if you are not competing with anyone else you should be able to get into any school you want.

Transfer credits....

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

It is really unlikely that UoP credits will be transferred to another university due to that their curriculum is not compatible to other universities. I recently compared their curriculum to the school that I am trying to transfer to and out of the 3 classes none will transfer. I am doing the same program and degree type and the classes are the total opposite. The school that I am transferring to curriculum is directed towards your particular degree and UoP are more like therapy classes. Like the classes that someone or a couple will take to improve themselves or the situation. I am not going into debt for theraupetic classes b/c I don't need them. They are a total rip off and it is sad that I had to rack up on a bill of 5000 (only taken 2 classes) in order to see that they are no good for me.

16% graduation rate? How sad...

AUTHOR: Lenora - (U.S.A.)

It's a shame that UOP only has a 16% percent graduation rate. I left that school a few months ago because I couldn't take their crap. Some states won't even accept a degree from that school. How sad. But there are people out there that swear UOP is one of the best.

Dyson Dave, will Mr. Finkel know anything about vacuum cleaners?

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

DD, you work at the UOP, and appear to know a good deal about how vacuum cleaners relate to University education. Perhaps this ladies complaint might be solved with another vacuum cleaner analogy? I forgot to remove the cardboard protector when I bought my new Dyson, and then I hated my vacuum cleaner and got all mad. Can I complain to Lee Finkel about this?

While I'm at it, do you think Lee might have some good answers about why UOP has a 16 percent graduation rate, which is among the nation's lowest, according to Department of Education data? Or maybe he might have some wisdom about what I'm supposed to do if the UOP loses the False Claims Act lawsuit which could bankrupt the school?

Would Lee give me my money back if that happened, at least for the vacuum cleaner?

Good Luck

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

I was told that these credits would transfer to other schools. When I called the local state school to ask about credits from UOP, I was seriously laughed at. I'd send a complaint to lee.finkel@phoenix.edu and let him hav it. He's the dispute office director.