Complaint Review: University of Phoenix- Axia

• Reported By: JennRS — Pennsylvania United States of America
University of Phoenix- Axia
3157 E. Elwood St Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

University of Phoenix- Axia Withdraw Phoenix, Arizona

I am currently a student, and time is of the most importance for me now. I am halfway through my 2nd block of classes. I am planning to withdraw.

First, a little background. I started in June at Axia Online. I was very excited to start due to the flexiblity of the program. ( I have 3 toddlers, I was out of options to return to school)

I started on the recommendation from my enrollment counselor. Now, I had already filled out my FAFSA before even going through the enrollment process at Axia. I wanted to be ahead of the game. They were very thrilled with the fact that I was already set up with a FAFSA, I saved them a lot of extra walk through work.

Being very new to the whole situation, I started before my financial aid was processed. They explained that it takes at least 90 days for all that to get finalized. Ok, fine.

I went through the steps with UoP financial aid, sent and resent documents, multiple times, and made sure they didn't have to wait on anything. I am told by my financial aid counselor that she will keep me informed on the status of my financial aid. I don't hear a thing for weeks.

By now I am starting to sweat. My husband and I live on his income alone. I was up front about that when enrolling. We DO NOT have the money they would try to come and get from us. Thus, my reasons for exploring financial aid.

I started classes on June 21st, and did not hear anything on my financial aid status until I contacted THEM. By this time, it is mid- August. I emailed my counselor and asked, bottom line, what am I going to be responsible for out of pocket?

I was assured that I would have no expense. My aid more than covered the amount due. Great!

Things were going smoothly, until one day I am on the internet and I see a link with the title, "Is University of Phoenix a legit school?" I never click on random headings like this, about a month ago, I did.

I freaked. It opened a flood gate of complaints about the school, it's practices, and the basic wrong doing toward students. I cried about this for 2 weeks. We are not financially able to go through anything like the claims I have read.

I personally to date, have not been "wronged" by UoP. (please excuse my previous slang statement) I will say however, I want to leave it. With all the knoweledge I have gained as of late, I can not stay there.

I am a smart person, but my actions with getting tangled up with UoP have been the acts of a moron. I can not continue with my education there. What if I am one of those individuals who has this happen down the road?

I can't go forward knowing I had the chance to save myself from trouble later on and I did nothing.

To bring you to the present. UoP currently disbursed my first installment of financial aid covering my first 12 credits. That's how they do it. I am currently halfway through my 2nd block. Once finished, I will have done 12 credits.

My questions: 1. I have decide to go to another school, since I will have in the 12 credits, doesn't that mean I have fullfilled my financial aid obligation to them for my first installment?

2. I am planning to do the offical withdraw online the day after my block ends, am I doing this right?

I am looking for serious help. Please give any suggestions you may have, if you would like more info, just let me know and I will fill you in if you can help. I am trying to not owe out of pocket to UoP.

I DO NOT want to make them aware of my plans in any way to leave. It is my understanding that once they learn your idea to leave, it is a domino effect with them and things mysteriously start to go bad for you as a student.

I just want to leave and start over. I know that my credit may not transfer, but I will cross that bridge later. In the end, I will have some out of pocket at the new school I choose.

Thanks to all who respond.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/20/2010 07:46 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/University-of-Phoenix-Axia/Phoenix-Arizona-85034/University-of-Phoenix-Axia-Withdraw-Phoenix-Arizona-642379. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on University of Phoenix- Axia