Complaint Review: University of Phoenix

• Updated: Thu, January 05, 2012

• Reported By: Gina — Locust Grove Georgia United States of America
University of Phoenix
internet McDonough, Georgia United States of America

University of Phoenix Appollo group Probationary period-suspended for making a 2.9 GPA-lost egibility by tenths of points/now in debt McDonough, Georgia

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: University of Phoenix degree likely worthless

*Consumer Comment: Are you kidding?

*Consumer Comment: UoP

In January 2010 I started classes at the University of Phoenix.  University of Phoenix contacted me from information render from job applications I was entering online.  Since I was resently fired at that time and was trying to get into a new job field related to my career field I took the call and discussed a Master's degree.  I was more interested on campus studies but they insisted on  online study and explained that there were no campus studies for the degree I was seeking.  They instructed me to go to a work center where there were advisors there who would assist me.  They explained to me I couldn't get financial aid for the Master's degree program and that I would have to take out a loan.  I told them that I had been out of school for at least 10 years.  They claimed they sent away for my college transcripts and said my GPA was under 2.5 which was true.  They advised I would have to maintain a GPA of 3.0 and would be on probation for the first 6 months.  I took out a loan with my bank.

I struggled with my first class because I had never took online classes before.  I spoke with several counselors about my uncertainty and concern about failing class.  The teacher was arrogant and not helpful and late in returning emails.  I felt I should withdraw but they said I would have to pay out of pocket to repeat class because my loan was for just the first semester and it would run over the amount of the loan I took out.  Caught between a rock and a hard place I continued the class.  I was looking at an F but somehow pulled out D which was somehow enough to continue.

In my next 4 classes I managed to pull out 2 As and 2 Bs which averaged out to be a 2.9.  But received an email that said I was suspended for not making a GPA of 3.0.  Suspension was for 6 months and was informed I could write a letter of reinstatement to be considered to be let back in.  Of course I told them what they could do with there jesture.  After all the complaining I did in the beginning this is all they could do but put a boot to my back side and leave me in debt where I have nothing to show for except a sore rear end.  Please somebody help me to give me justice from someone who took advantage of me in a vunerable state of unemployment and a dead end.  I was unjustly fired from my job as a scapegoat and now this. I am in unnecessary debt because of their fast talking schemes.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/31/2011 11:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/University-of-Phoenix/McDonough-Georgia-/University-of-Phoenix-Appollo-group-Probationary-period-suspended-for-making-a-29-GPA-los-816266. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on University of Phoenix

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

University of Phoenix degree likely worthless

AUTHOR: hoapres - (USA)

Outside the issue of OP's academic ability to finish a college program, more important is the likely value of a Master's degree from the University of Phoenix.  I suspect the value is almost if not totally nil.

Are you kidding?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Okay UoP has it's fair share of complaints on this site, but this one..really?

First you get fired from your old job..of course not your fault.

You then go to UoP and have a previous GPA of 2.5, they tell you that you are on probation and need to maintain a 3.0GPA.  You agree to this and start to take classes.  So then you get a GPA of 2.9 and all of the sudden they become a RipOff because they won't raise your GPA by 0.1.

Here's the problem, schools(even UoP) have standards in order to be accredited.  If their requirement is that you have to maintain a 3.0 GPA they can't just automatically give you an extra 0.1 point.  Now, if you state your case they may make an exception but you have to show why you should be given an exception.

If what you say is true it appears as if your first class was your worst and you showed significant improvement.  Where had you actually appealed their decision you probably would have been reinstated.  But telling them what they could do with their gesture(not jesture) pretty much killed any chance of you getting back in.  Based on this attitude you have shown and your previous grades I don't think that a Masters Degree is really in your future.

By the way 2-A's, 2-B's and 1-D gives you a GPA of 3.0 so I imagine you had at least one Minus attached to some of those grades.

UoP

AUTHOR: Diogenes - (USA)

You claim to have graduated from college ????  And you can not even spell nor form a grammatically correct sentence  ????  I am really surprised that even a school of such dubious educational quality as UoP allowed you to register. This "university" has reportedly the LOWEST standards and quality of education of any accredited university in the USA.  And you can't even keep a 3.0 GPA with them ????  Geezzzz.  Well, the poor writing of your report shows everyone WHY you have such a poor academic record. At least UoP had the good sense to put you on probation.  And now, you have proven them correct in their assessment of you.  Also, just in case you DON'T know, keeping a 3.0 average in grad school is the standard in ANY reputable university.  And 2.9 most certainly is  NOT  3.0.

How on Earth you were ever admitted to any college in the first place, let alone allowed to even GRADUATE, is beyond me.  There is something terribly wrong here.  You just are NOT college material.  You have proven as much, not only to UoP, but to everyone who reads this report, as well.

Apparently, according to your report, you are not employed, either.  Take it from me.  Employers are NOT falling all over themselves to hire a person with a GPA as low as yours. Not that they are actively recruiting any UoP graduates, either.  Those apps go straight to the trash can.  It looks as though you lose on BOTH counts.

And, if you had even a modicum of intelligence, you would know that there is NO help for a loser such as you.  You can't even help yourself.