Complaint Review: University of Phoenix

University of Phoenix
1422 South Tech Lane Meridian, Idaho United States of America

University of Phoenix charged me for classes i didnt attend in Meridian, Idaho

*UPDATE Employee: Office of Dispute Management

*Consumer Comment: what r u talking about jeanie???

*Consumer Comment: question

*Consumer Comment: ???bob from irvine

*Author of original report: one class

*Consumer Comment: Clarification..

I was charged for classes I never attended. I could not get the day off work to attend the mandatory monthly class. I called my student rep and let him know I would not be attending the class, and asked since I had only used $1300.00 of my student loans and NONE of my grant money, if I could attend it later. He said I would have to reapply for everything since I "dropped out".
I figured I would go back and finish my degree at a late rtime when i could get a scheduel change at work. Well in the meantime I got a letter in the mail about repayment of my student loans,,,,to the tune of $8600.00!
They were federally backed loans so now even tho I NEVER used them I now am in payment arrangements to pay back the loans. According to University of Phoenix I attended THREE courses at $1300.00 each. I am very upset about this and hope there are others out there that have had the same issues so we can class action these guys.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/14/2013 06:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/University-of-Phoenix/Meridian-Idaho-83642/University-of-Phoenix-charged-me-for-classes-i-didnt-attend-in-Meridian-Idaho-1028524. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on University of Phoenix

Office of Dispute Management

AUTHOR: Uofphoenix - ()

Hello:

If you feel that your balance is in error, I would be glad to put you in touch with someone who can review your account for you. I can also assist you with filing a formal grievance with the University, if you would like. Please contact me at libby.bailey@phoenix.edu at your earliest convenience.

Libby Bailey, Dispute Operations Manager
University of Phoenix, Office of Dispute Management

what r u talking about jeanie???

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - ()

u make as much sense as d rest of know it all

question

AUTHOR: Jeanski - ()

Financial Aid is usually processed based on at least half-time enrollment.  Did you actually complete the first class? I'm unclear on that.

If you didn't complete the schedule classes (or dropped in time to not be charged) they should have refunded all your grant and loan money, and you would be liable only for the first class.  However, if (as Robert points out) you withdrew from the class after the official drop date, you would still be charged even though your loan funds are returned.

You need to get a complete accounting from U of P of charges and credits. Check the dates carefully, because it sounds as if you withdrew from the other two classes after your loans were posted.

And just to clarify something Robert said, your loans have a 6-month grace period after you end enrollment before they become due.

???bob from irvine

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

there is nothing clear in ur rebutt, worse I've seen from u

one class

AUTHOR: Jonuhs - (United States of America)

I was in the last week of the one and only class I attended when I let them know I would not be abl eto attend the next class. It was almost 3 weeks prior to the next class start date. I only attended ONE class with them, which should have been a cost of just under $1300.00, which the grant was supposed to have covered. So all my grant money would have paid for the first course, with NO loan monies used for anything. The money went where?

Clarification..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

While UoP doesn't have the best reputation, it appears that you may just have some misunderstandings of how things work.

First on the class you didn't attend.  When did you drop out?  There are usually two deadlines to drop a class.  The first is the one that allows you to drop the class and does not require you to pay for it.  In effect it is as if you never even signed up for it in the first place.  This date occurs very shortly after the class starts, with accelerated classes it may even be as soon as a couple of days of the official "start date" of the class.  If you miss this date you can still drop the class, but you are then also responsible for the fees for the class..even if you didn't complete it.

Next, they seem to say that you actually dropped out of school.  If that is the case then Student Loans are in deferment while you are enrolled in school.  But as soon as your enrollment ends(either by graduation or drop out) those loans then go into a repayment status.

The only other question is that you say UoP says you attended 3 classes.  How many do you claim that you have attended?