Complaint Review: VIA Trading

VIA Trading
2520 Industry Way Lynwood, California United States of America

VIA Trading Via Trading Sold Me Nonsaleable goods Lynwood, California

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Advice On Other Sites

*Author of original report: Clean up your act!

*UPDATE Employee: Okay

*Author of original report: Buyer Update

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Condition of the goods was described - We are always open to discussion with customers

After a couple of years of dealing with Via Trading, it seemed like each box of mixed cosmetics worsened.  It was still saleable goods, just upped the price to the customer, until this last load.  Boy what a ripoff it was.  I could not break even with the load.  75% of it is unsaleable and the other 25% is so cheap that I am giving it away to customers as free gifts.  The pictures that they had on their website (I kept a copy of them) of the load was completely different than what I received.  The photos depicted name brand nail color, compacts, lipstick, etc.

The products received were non-name brand items and the majority were damaged.  Every lipstick was crushed and had no color description so if I could have sold them I would not have known how to describe them except calling them "purple lipstick" or "pink lipstick". The foundations were from 1994.  The lip pencils cost me .72 each and are selling everywhere 6 for $1.00.  The nail polishes were all half full.  It was a mess.  I have never seen a shipment like this before.

Being a regular customer, I emailed Carolina and she asked me to do a breakdown of the products and what I could sell them for. I did a realistic list, with the prices I normally charge, and by the time you factored in packaging costs, I am taking a loss.   I offered to send her the spreadsheet but she replied that it was not necessary.  She said that she would talk to her supervisor and get back with me.  She called me back and offered me a $60 credit toward my next order.  I promptly replied that it looked like they needed the money more than I did and that they had sent me free coupons totalling that much.  I have taken them off of my list of wholesalers.  If they receive this, they will deny doing business with me as I have changed names to guard my reputation as a retailer.  As a savy retailer who has purchased from many wholesalers, I am knowledgeable about what to expect from liquidation companies but this load was an atrocity.

BUYER BEWARE.  You don't always get what is shown, even if you are a regular buyer.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/28/2010 10:48 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/VIA-Trading/Lynwood-California-90262/VIA-Trading-Via-Trading-Sold-Me-Nonsaleable-goods-Lynwood-California-666049. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on VIA Trading

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Advice On Other Sites

AUTHOR: Valley - (United States of America)

I was about to purchase items on there website but when I viewed this site it put me in luck so is there any sites you can recommend me. Thank you

Clean up your act!

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (United States of America)

I deal with numerous wholesalers, both big and small and have never experienced the customer service that I have with your company. You don't make it right by offering money to purchase additonal items from your company. You offer to take that money off what you have charged them. That is the right thing to do.

Since a large majority of your customers are out of state, it is not feasible to inspect any of the loads that are shipped to us. We rely upon the honesty and integrity of your company to "DO THE RIGHT THING"

Remember, in the end, word gets out and your reputation slowly begins to get darker and darker. Next thing you know you are looking around your closed business and wondering what happened. As I wrote toa corporate giant 5 or 6 years ago and stated the words. "If I am unhappy, how many others are unhappy also" It only takes a few words spoken to start the ball rolling. Today, that company is floundering because unbeknownst to me, other customers did feel the same way.

The bottom line. Treat your customers with respect and they in turn will have nothing but good to speak of you and you will reap more profits from their continued patronage of your company. A continued customer (bread & butter customer) is what keeps businesses alive. You may rip off a first time customer once, but you will never do it again as they will not return. Something to think about.

Okay

AUTHOR: Jacques - (U.S.A.)

It is unfortunate that you feel that way. We are always open to working with customers and making things right whenever we can.

Our warehouse is open to the public and all merchandise is available for inspection prior to purchase. We practice transparency and invite all prospective buyers to visit our premises, see/touch the products to make sure they're right for their business, research our Better Business Bureau rating, and take into consideration how we address customer claims such as this one.

We will never turn a buyer away - but we must be given the opportunity to make things right in order to fix problems that arise.

Buyer Update

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (United States of America)

Seller is not open to discussion of any merit.  Beware of this company.  They are not what they appear.

#5 REBUTTAL Owner of company

AUTHOR: Jacques - (U.S.A.)

Hi

We are sorry it had to come to the filing of this report as we are more than willing to work with customers when orders are unsatisfactory.

As stated in the listing for the merchandise in question, the lots came from out of business retailers and we explicitly stated that we made no guarantees as to the merchandise freshness or marketability. The goods were sold as overstocks and shelf pulls with unknown manufacture or expiry dates for the most part.

We manually sort through hundreds of thousands of pieces and occasionally there are boxes that are not quite up to par with the rest of the load. In cases like these, we offer compensation for significantly unsatisfactory items.

It is typically understood that in the liquidation industry (especially when purchasing lots that are stated to be in unknown condition), there is a certain risk involved. Not every lot will be as good as the next and while money will be made overall when looking at the profitability of purchases over time, certain individual purchases may incur a loss. This is part of the business.
In this case the customer had purchased from us several times in the last year and one poor lot out of several is to be expected in this industry.

We did not turn this customer away - we merely stated that the condition of the goods was advertised as unknown and that there would definitely be a percentage of expired/unsellable items in the lot. We then offered compensation to make up for a portion of the purchase.

Purchasing such goods (customer returns or overstocks in unknown condition) is not for everyone and customers must consider that certain individual purchases will be less profitable than others before they enter into the liquidation business.

We are open to discussing further with the customer should she wish to.